Get to work you millennial bum!

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 9,993 Senior Member
edited May 2018 in The Lodge #1

In a real-life case of “Failure to Launch,” an upstate New York judge Tuesday ordered a 30-year-old man to move out of his parents’ house after they went to court to have him ejected.

https://www.boston.com/news/national-news/2018/05/22/parents-evict-son

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member

Haha - that's just too funny. It's sad, but it's their own fault for raising a bum.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,717 Senior Member

Ludicrous. Absolutely insane.

the judge at least got it right.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member

And to think, part of my job used to be explaining the United States and American culture to foreigners.

It's good to be retired. Not as good as being the King, but good nevertheless.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • joyescapejoyescape Posts: 13 Junior Member

I don't know if I will laugh with his reasoning, but this dude sure doesn't have any plans in life. Geez, you can never be dependent on your parents forever. It's not an excuse that he doesn't have a good job experience. And for the record, he is 30-years old.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,993 Senior Member

A friend of mine owns a landscaping business. Has been doing it for over 20 years now. She hired a couple 20 somethings to work with her this summer...says they have zero drive, can't make it to work on time and they are slow and lazy. Pretty sad on the job site when the owner (58 years old) and one of her long time workers (66 years old) are showing up the 20 somethings. That's the generation that's coming through the system these days.

If I were the parents, once he's out, then next thing would be to change the will. I would give it all to my favorite charity and give him nothing.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,783 Senior Member

I'm betting he doesn't take that offer...

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,783 Senior Member

Hell I'll go but a rabbit ear SXS for a python.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,756 Senior Member
    edited May 2018 #10

@NZ Indicator said:
    A friend of mine owns a landscaping business. Has been doing it for over 20 years now. She hired a couple 20 somethings to work with her this summer...says they have zero drive, can't make it to work on time and they are slow and lazy. Pretty sad on the job site when the owner (58 years old) and one of her long time workers (66 years old) are showing up the 20 somethings. That's the generation that's coming through the system these days.

It didn’t take long for someone to max out the “Get off my lawn!” point scale. 10/10 for Joe.

When I go to work today I will tell the many 20-something’s that have spent at least a year of their lives deployed to garden spots like Afghanistan, Iraq and Qatar, that they are lazy.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,993 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:

When I go to work today I will tell the many 20-something’s that have spent at least a year of their lives deployed to garden spots like Afghanistan, Iraq and Qatar, that they are lazy.

Those breeds are becoming a rarity these days.

Now shut yer mouf and get off my lawn!!!!

@Shawn C. said:

If they can play that card, good on 'em. I'd play it too. In fact I have.

That dude that has to be told by a judge to leave his parents house is not that guy.

Joe just denigrated an entire generation so that was my retort.

Did you read that the guy is going to appeal?

@sherb said:
    That dude that has to be told by a judge to leave his parents house is not that guy.

How long you think that guy would last hanging out with them other fellows? Haha.

• ThingamabobberThingamabobber Posts: 2 Junior Member

I know a friend who has a gardening business and he told me that once he hired a 22 year old who wasn't very much into his job and came to work with his shirt untucked. Just goes to show that this generation is a bunch of lazy bums. Too busy overpaying for avacado toast and trying to blame guns for children shooting children. shake my **** head.

@Shawn C. said:
    Joe just denigrated an entire generation so that was my retort.

Did you read that the guy is going to appeal?

He says he's going to appeal. His appeal isn't going anywhere either, even if he does somehow manage to file one. Legal aid isn't going to waste legal resources helping the guy, not when they have real poor people who need legal help. So, unless he spends all of his free time in Mom's basement doing legal research (which I will grant is a possibility) nothing is going to happen.

edited May 2018 #17

He should enlist. Not even kidding. Give the guy some structure, direction and maybe even some drive. Then again, he should have done that a decade ago.

Is this a good place to start a conversation on the merits of mandatory service? Comic and I were discussing that the other day while not catching fish.

I have to wonder - did the parents try changing the locks?

@Shawn C. said:

Is this a good place to start a conversation on the merits of mandatory service? Comic and I were discussing that the other day while not catching fish.

Good a place as any. It might have the ancillary benefit of making these warmongers in the National security establishment think twice before they start these wars that last for decades.

@George K said:
    I have to wonder - did the parents try changing the locks?

I wonder if his parents ever even told him to his face to move out. Not as a hint, or a suggestion, but actually saying, "GET OUT NOW."

I don't know them, of course, so I cannot know for sure, but like Gary says upthread, the parents clearly enabled this behavior.

@Shawn C. said:

I've had discussions about this with my neighbor. In your mind, would there be stipulations that gets them out of the mandatory service? Things like grades? You get a 3.8 and are accepted to college, do you still go?
    Who decides if you do peace corp type service or Military? Lots of questions, but overall I think it would be good for so many kids.

I'm an idea guy, Gary. I don't do policy nuance! ;)

I too, along with Comic if I may speak for him, also think it would do so much good for a lot of people. I know it really helped me when I was young. I think there are certain people that need structure. I thrived in it when I was in the Air Force.

I don't necessarily think the military is the right choice for everyone but maybe there should be a Civilian Conservation Corp type of option. It would have to be based upon the same principles of hierarchal rank structure and discipline to work though. I don't know if you could meld the two but it would be a possibility.

As far as waivers go my thinking has always been a no. With the extended life expectancy and longer productive years of western society I don't think 18 months or two years of service puts a real damper on how much you can achieve in your profession of choice. Plus, if you have loopholes then the kids with rich & powerful parents will find a way to exploit them.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    edited May 2018 #23

Would a mission count for service? Asking for a friend.

edited May 2018 #24

@jbilly said:

One of these days, Jim...

That said, that is one of the better barbs thrown here in some time.

You bastage...

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    edited May 2018 #25

@Shawn C. said:

@jbilly said:

One of these days, Jim...

That said, that is one of the better barbs thrown here in some time.

You bastage...

Geez a bit presumptuous. I said a friend I meant Comic.

:D :D :D

Oh, Comic? Yeah, he's totally converted now. ;)

@jbilly said:

Lol. This is an inspired bit.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 510 Senior Member

Can you imagine the tax hikes needed to fund a compulsory military service? My goodness!

Draftees driving trucks, and slinging SOS and washing up in mess halls would cost a lot less than civilian contractors earning many multiples of what warriors do would save a lot of taxpayer dollars.

@Shawn C. said:
    I'm an idea guy, Gary. I don't do policy nuance! ;)

As far as waivers go my thinking has always been a no. With the extended life expectancy and longer productive years of western society I don't think 18 months or two years of service puts a real damper on how much you can achieve in your profession of choice. Plus, if you have loopholes then the kids with rich & powerful parents will find a way to exploit them.

As far as waivers, my thought is that some kids were raised with good structure and don't need this (looking at my son and several of this buddies). I would hate to see my son forced into the military with some of the losers that this would bring into it (thinking of Full Metal Jacket). So a waiver based on grades is what I was thinking because you have to have some structure in your life to get good grades. But, you're right, the rich would exploit whatever the waiver is.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 510 Senior Member

Being a bum is not a trait unique to people of any single generation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.