The Answer is 99 days

BushartBushart Senior MemberPosts: 2,932 Senior Member

Since The Parkland Shooting till Texas today

Seen the Trump sympathy show after the fact---but not long after him n Pence kneeling at the alter of the NRA

Have yet to hear what style gun was used today?

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,027 Senior Member

This? It's horrible isn't it? When will the great community organizer do something for his city?? Of course the shooters were probably all NRA members....

11 shot over 10 hours in Chicago, three of them fatally
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-shootings-violence-20180517-story.html

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,543 Senior Member

No way those could happen Chicago, they have strict laws against this sort of thing.

As far as the Florida and Texas shootings go, we need to make examples of the shooters.
    Laws need to be changed when mass shooters are caught red handed - quick trials with public execution!!! No more sitting on death row for years at a time.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,989 Senior Member

Shooter is a juvenile. ineligible for the Death penalty.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,971 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    This? It's horrible isn't it? When will the great community organizer do something for his city?? Of course the shooters were probably all NRA members....

11 shot over 10 hours in Chicago, three of them fatally
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-shootings-violence-20180517-story.html

Earth to Mike: The Great Community Organizer does not live in Chicago and no longer has any government position, therefore has no power to do anything in Chicago or elsewhere.

You remind me of the guys who had such a blind hatred of Ted Kennedy that everything was his fault, even long after he died.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,259 Senior Member

S hit ty news indeed.

edited May 2018 #7

Not so George. I don't hate the man at all. I'm actually appreciative of some of his accomplishments, especially the healthcare changes. He didn't do that much to hate really...

My post was an example of how silly it is to tie shootings to the POTUS or the NRA.

@sherb said:
    Shooter is a juvenile. ineligible for the Death penalty.

Laws need to change drastically for these crazy ****ers.
    You go to a school or any other public place with the intention of killing as many people as possible (with a gun, bomb or van), your rights should go right out the window.

Something is deeply wrong in our school system. Guns have been around since before public schools.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,932 Senior Member

Yup everyone agrees---acquisition rules should be tougher---but how many times can you say it

You could lock em up for eternity---I'm still not sure it would stop the next one---Maybe they have a nothing to lose attitude and deterrents are not even considered

I'm waiting for the next...The only way to stop a bad kid with a gun...is a good kid with.....

I don't think public school systems are the problem; they have been around far longer than school shootings. I would lay the blame on cable news, the internet and the 24 hr news cycle. You can't turn on the TV without seeing endless coverage of what should have been a two minute story. Multiply this by dozens of competing outlets and multiply that again by countless web sites and social media threads. Copy cat crazies get all the inspiration they need.

Still, what could possibly drive a young kid to commit such an purely evil act? He's acting out against the thing that made him hate so much. Not the TV or the internet or games. The anger is directly pointed at the students and teachers in some cases.

@George K said:
    I don't think public school systems are the problem; they have been around far longer than school shootings.

Agreed. Its not the school thats the problem. But why the hell is it always at a school? Kids don't gather at mall anymore, but there are places they still go. Is it because its the opportunity? There was a thread not long ago where it was discussed that we should have fences, gates, etc around schools. I'm not opposed. But theres still plenty of opportunity if there's a herd waiting in line to get in.

Well being a problem solver most of my adult life I've tried to reason it out

1st I asked when did it start?--do not recall too many in the 60's or 70's--ok If Columbine is the biggie--that's 90's
    So Why--what changed?
    Could it be Home life--Ma N Pa both working---Maybe?---but other countries do as well and do not suffer the frequency of violence

Lack of resources for mental health?---Don't think so---been issues over time that didn't result in school shootings --and again other countries

I am however not discounting the internet (Timeframe) and it's ability to get an interactive bully right inside a kid's bedroom
    To show how traumatic it can be--Here we had a young teenage girl who had some risky photos taken of her---they were displayed online---not long after she committed suicide---it's real for these kids--that was her way out
    Maybe other kids turn to the violent option
    Canada has since passed a law restricting Photo sharing of this type

Home should be a Safe Zone---but ya can't get away---it is and can be very tribal
    But again every country worldwide has the net---and does not have the frequency
    Certain that the US doesn't have exclusive rights to bullies

have to consider it further I guess---is it as simple as---Internet bullying and easy access to weapons?

Is it easier to get weapons? There weren’t background checks in 70s or 80s? Hell we had lots of them in house and they weren’t locked up. That’s changed at folks house and has always been cases at mine.

I think internet is a huge factor.

@jbilly said:
    Is it easier to get weapons? There weren’t background checks in 70s or 80s? Hell we had lots of them in house and they weren’t locked up. That’s changed at folks house and has always been cases at mine.

I think internet is a huge factor.

I do as well---but the net is worldwide
    Must be other factors?

I think there are a lot of factors from social media, the way media deal with things, shooter games and the fact that kids aren't held accountable for their actions like we were when we were kids.
    I don't think these kids know what it's like to be punished for doing something wrong. I mean how many of you older guys got spankings or saw kids getting them for doing something wrong. Even in school, you bully a kid and you're getting your butt whooped by the principal. Today kids can do what they want, even threaten or hit teachers and nothing happens to them. They are not accountable for their actions.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,115 Senior Member

Let's make sure we ban those assault rifles so we can stop these shotgun attacks.

Yesterday in nearby Glen Rock, PA two idiots were arrested after a deadly weapon stand-off. One had a pistol, the other a crossbow.

No surprise, alcohol and a woman were involved.

http://www.abc27.com/news/local/york/police-two-men-arrested-after-fight-involving-gun-crossbow/1189573409

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,110 Senior Member
    edited May 2018 #21

@CO Native said:
    I think there are a lot of factors from social media, the way media deal with things, shooter games and the fact that kids aren't held accountable for their actions like we were when we were kids.
    I don't think these kids know what it's like to be punished for doing something wrong. I mean how many of you older guys got spankings or saw kids getting them for doing something wrong. Even in school, you bully a kid and you're getting your butt whooped by the principal. Today kids can do what they want, even threaten or hit teachers and nothing happens to them. They are not accountable for their actions.

hey you know what, I may not know what it is like to be a parent. But I do know what it is like to be an abused child.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Were you punished, as in "spanked" for doing stupid stuff and told why you were getting spanked? That's not abuse, that's punishment. Kids that are slapped around for no reason, or burned with cigarettes or just plain hit are abused. I saw that with the neighbor kid when his dad got out of prison. He went right back for the above.

I'm talking about the paddle in the principal's office. That was not abuse, that was deserved for doing stuff that's "talked" about today. There is a line between abuse and punishment and it's a THICK one. 90% of the punishment that I got (and deserved) as a child would be considered child abuse today and that's a problem.

Chris, that sucks man. I might not have had much growing up but I always had a loving father and mother. Seems like you did alright for yourself despite the hardships.

edited May 2018 #24

How much do you think a paddling by the principle is going to impact a kid that is beat with a wire hanger or electrical cord?

I have seen some of the most amazing and inspiring school administrators that have powerful positive impacts on thousands of lives and their hands have not once touched a paddle.

Now go ahead and tell me I know nothing about education because I have not had children. I have been in hundreds of schools and worked with thousands of teachers and I do know primitive and destructive thinking when I see it.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

I also have a sister and many cousins that raised truly great accomplished children all with hardly laying a hand on them. They taught their children, took the time to get to know them and did not take the lazy way out.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,960 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    Let's make sure we ban those assault rifles so we can stop these shotgun attacks.

Well, people like me who advocated banning only full and semi-auto weapons may have been too lenient minded.

@Shawn C. said:

@NZ Indicator said:

Well, people like me who advocated banning only full and semi-auto weapons may have been too lenient minded.

Fully auto are illegal, and I can pump a semi auto shotgun just as fast as you fire a semi-auto, so now you're left with banning all guns. That's why the NRA is against EVERY little thing, it can be twisted from one little thing into everything so easy.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,960 Senior Member

Pump shotgun? GONE! Enjoy your side x side for hunting.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,970 Senior Member
    edited May 2018 #29

@Shawn C. said:

Enjoy your side x side for hunting.

What I wouldn't give for a nice SS shotgun with external hammers. Might even trade one of my Colt Pythons for one.

Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

My Charles Daly SxS 20 ga. does not have external hammers, but it is the only shotgun I have used that "fits me like a glove". I happily sold my Browning Citory 12 ga. (1970s model, before they economized on production details) after I bought it. It is made in Turkey, has a nice, if not 5A+ walnut stock and best of all I bought it for around $225 at Cabela's when Daly went bust a few years ago. It may not pass down to five generations, but it is, for me, the best shotgun I've ever owned.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,115 Senior Member

@George K said:
    My Charles Daly SxS 20 ga

Sweet gun!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.