Gun Thread

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 2,816 Senior Member

Two years ago I bought a Walmart Ruger Elite .177 pellet riffle to rid my bird feeders of squirrels. When I bought it, I lived in a Subdivision and I couldn’t shoot a 22. The pellet gun did well, I got rid of the squirrels put the gun away and haven’t gotten it back out till recently. Right away I noticed that it was horribly inaccurate now. I sight the scope in, shoot a few, then it’s off again. Changed pellets, changed the rubber seal in the breach, still no better. I assumed the gun was just a cheap POS. Then I started investigating. Turns out the nitro pellet riffles have two recoils. They recoil forward and backwards. This causes a lot of strain on the scope mounts and they frequently slip, just a tiny bit. So last month I bought an airgun scope mount that has twice as many mounting screws and a stop screw. Instant fix. This thing is a tack driver now. Riffled barrel with domed pellets make it very close to a 22. I LOVE shooting this thing. I live on a ridge now with nothing and no one around my property. I’ve got targets set up all around the place and I spend time shooting from the ground and off my deck. If you’re all caught on yard work and have nothing to do, but you’re like me and you just have to be outside doing something, it’s tons of fun. It’s also nice to be shooting again and it’s teaching me to be a better shot as a result. The best thing is that it’s only costing me pennies a day. My good friend is a long range shooter and obsessed is an understatement. I just can’t afford that game. He’s spent a retirement doing it. Any plinkers here?

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,816 Senior Member

"breech"

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,287 Senior Member

That double recoil will also destroy scopes unless they're purpose built for air rifles.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member

I live in subdivision, but with a field behind me. My neighbor has dubbed my backyard "the death zone" for squirrels.
    They run up and down the back fence and drive my mutt crazy.
    I have a Gamo .177 with open sites that is deadly accurate for about 1/2 my yard and then gets a bit sketchy as you reach the far corners. I killed one just yesterday.

edited May 16 #5

@breamfisher said:
    That double recoil will also destroy scopes unless they're purpose built for air rifles.

Yea, I"m waiting on it to die so I can upgrade!

@CO Native said:
    I live in subdivision, but with a field behind me. My neighbor has dubbed my backyard "the death zone" for squirrels.
    They run up and down the back fence and drive my mutt crazy.
    I have a Gamo .177 with open sites that is deadly accurate for about 1/2 my yard and then gets a bit sketchy as you reach the far corners. I killed one just yesterday.

Ha. When my daughters come over that's the first thing they ask. Where's the bb gun? They love it too.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

If you have lots of room (and I do mean lots)
    A way we taught newer deer hunters to lock on running deer (and we used to use dogs so they could be movin)

We would take an old tire to the top of a "steep hill"---cardboard taped around it

Roll it down the hill---pickin up speed and bouncin---see how many times you hit the cardboard
    Of course watchin out for the roller at the hilltop (and of course nothing behind)

Used to be a challenge years ago with open sights
    Red Dots are quick shooting nowadays

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,280 Senior Member

For all that's holy, it's "rifle."

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,703 Senior Member

I shoot from my deck too. Often a cheap pellet rifle. Sometimes a bolt action .22 or .22 revolver.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,812 Senior Member
    edited May 17 #10

I grew up in NYC and lived most of my life in cities as large or larger in population. Now I live in the country where it is a strange day when I do not hear a few shots ranging from .22 to deerslayer rounds, rifle or shotgun. Why resort to BB guns to kill pests, and - seriously - :) who would want to kill those entertaining little bushy tailed rats, AKA gray squirrels anyway? The only ones I dispatch are red squirrels who get into our hard wood floored attic and roll walnuts around like effing miniature bowling balls. They are Havahart trapped, and then shot.

I confess I shoot every stone foundation undermining groundhog I can with my 10/22 or .380 pistol, and have sent any number of brown water snakes who entered our small pond to slithering heaven with my twenty gauge SxS. But really, why shoot squirrels when there are so many squirrel-proof bird feeders available, especially the very entertaining ones that send them flying into the wild blue yonder? Unless, of course, you cook and eat them.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@Steven said:
    For all that's holy, it's "rifle."

Doh! Hopefully I shoot better than I spell.

edited May 17 #12

Those entertaining bushy tailed rats have cost me a fortune. I don't allow them near my house any longer. They somehow made it past the shroud on my package HVAC unit in the last house and chewed through the 18" flex supply and return air vents. They made a really nice squirrel house in my vents and caused all kinds of allergy issues. Then they started chewing the delicious wires within the HVAC unit. I discovered the costly mess when the thermostat just quit working one day. They destroy everything. Garbage cans, bird feeders, HVAC units, even wood trim. I can't stand the evil little rats. I do allow them to live at the new place since they have so far stayed in the forest. My back yard is a very steep side of a mtn and there is a nice DMZ tree line that they can't cross. So far they have respected that line.

Shoot on, friend. We've not had that kind of problem from squirrels, only fwith groundhogs burrowing and chewing on wood.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,167 Senior Member

I have three cats. They are quite efficient at taking care of pests.

You must have daughters. We had so many cats over the years when my girls lived with us. I became fond of them and we still have one that we rescued.

@MikeA said:
    You must have daughters. We had so many cats over the years when my girls lived with us. I became fond of them and we still have one that we rescued.

I have two daughters, yes.

I got the cats for the girls. The cats' killing abilities were an ancillary benefit of owning them. But my mouse/gopher problem literally disappeared overnight. Granted, Cats kill for sport and then deposit their trophies on the porch, but cleaning up a little mess is definitely worth it.

@sherb said:
    I have three cats. They are quite efficient at taking care of pests.

Ugh, 3 domesticated pests to take care of wild ones. I don't think I could do it.

They stay outside. I don't like them in the house.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 92 Member

Outdoor cats are an abomination with the decimation of small game and birds. You should be ashamed.

(Slips into solipsistic mode) Nature seems well balanced where I live, except for deer, but that may be because feral cats find homes in barns and other out buildings. They control the rat, mouse and vole population. Song bird and other avian life abounds. It probably is different in cities and burbs. My farmer neighbors have permission to kill as many crop eating deer as necessary, and are quite ethical about it. After each kill they call the game warden, who collects the carcass and brings it to a butcher, who then sends the meat to a food bank.

The times I've driven through PA I was amazed at the amount of dead deer on the side of the interstate. Big deer too. Waze even had a warning for them. Something like roadkill ahead maybe. Do people there just not like eating deer?

The farm I grew up on was prolific with pheasants and was good hunting. As the subdivisions started popping up around us I started finding cats when pheasant hunting. I'd shoot one on every outing. Pretty soon we were shooting more cats than pheasants and now there is not a pheasant to be found within 15 miles of that farm.
    I hate cats unless they are the declawed indoor kind.

@CO Native said:
    The farm I grew up on was prolific with pheasants and was good hunting. As the subdivisions started popping up around us I started finding cats when pheasant hunting. I'd shoot one on every outing. Pretty soon we were shooting more cats than pheasants and now there is not a pheasant to be found within 15 miles of that farm.
    I hate cats unless they are the declawed indoor kind.

Spot on.

I haven’t seen any grouse on my property in a few months and just recently I’ve discovered there are cats living beneath the old house that I’ve been meaning to burn down. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Hey Stranger. . .Since no one knows you. . .how about an introduction?

Where you from?
    Do you fish?
    What's your sign?

etc.

Montana.

Yes.

Cancer.

I deleted Facebook after being on there for the past year or so and it has left a gaping hole in my social life so I have come here to see how you folks are doing which seems to be about the same as every other multi web forum these days.

Where did everyone go?

But seriously, Sheb, it is que irresponsible leaving those cats outdoors!

ah. question resolved.

I suspected, but wasn't sure.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

Funny how feelings change over the generations---my Grandfather and uncles and aunts were farmers
    Tough depression times and after the war---no hydro and outdoor plumbing

Anyway---Lake kittens was the norm---so I'll see your cruelty and raise ya one

So, Bowel Movement Mike, we are gathering at your place this fall. Just sayin'.

@CO Native said:
    So, Bowel Movement Mike, we are gathering at your place this fall. Just sayin'.

Yeah Gart and I decided it already.

Remember that I am coming to your house the weekend after Labor Day. I think I have an extra ticket to Smashing Pumpkins on Fri night if you want to come.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file