for Tom Wolfe.

Died yesterday at 88.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,167 Senior Member

Sad news indeed. One of my faves.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,614 Senior Member

Sip of the right stuff poured.

Chuck Yeager, against all odds, still lives.

He really had the right stuff.

As far as fiction goes, its hard to beat Bonfire of the Vanities.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,812 Senior Member

Sip poured. If I had a white suit I would don it first.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    edited May 15 #6

@sherb said:

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are not old & bold pilots. Except Chuck Yeager.

Totally forgot about my Chuck Yeager when we had the 'famous person' discussion a few weeks back!

When I was a young Airman working at Hill AFB tower, Gen. Chuck Yeager flew into Hill AFB in a North Dakota Air Guard F-4. I worked him in the pattern and cleared him to land. It was cool. Way cool. Callsign of the aircraft was the standard ND Air Guard moniker of NODAK44. So yeah, I have talked to Chuck Yeager!

@Shawn C. said:

@sherb said:

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are not old & bold pilots. Except Chuck Yeager.

There's a great passage in the book, where Wolfe points out that every pilot from Massachusetts to Hawaii now speaks with that relaxed WV Yeager accent. So as the plane is losing an engine, and the oxygen masks are dropping and the flight attendants are sprinting up the aisle, all you hear is, "Well folks, looks like we might have to make a quick stop. Nothing to be alarmed about. "

Yeah, you definitely don't want to sound like a b**** when you're dying. That is frowned upon by the pilots.

@Shawn C. said:

Totally forgot about my Chuck Yeager when we had the 'famous person' discussion a few weeks back!

When I was a young Airman working at Hill AFB tower, Gen. Chuck Yeager flew into Hill AFB in a North Dakota Air Guard F-4. I worked him in the pattern and cleared him to land. It was cool. Way cool. Callsign of the aircraft was the standard ND Air Guard moniker of NODAK44. So yeah, I have talked to Chuck Yeager!

Yeah this is legit. Too cool.

How did you know it was him?

We get notifications whenever a Distinguished Visitor is arriving or departing. And since OPSEC wasn't as tight as it is now in the post 9/11 world we were told it was him. Plus, on the radio he totally sounded like the AC Delco commercials of the day.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,280 Senior Member

sherb,

You're really not helping any. I need a lead in to an honor student reference.

Well, the case was a real POS. . . .

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,280 Senior Member

At Riddell High, an honor student is anyone who comes to class and does not p-i-s-s on the teacher.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,703 Senior Member

@George K said:
    Sip poured. If I had a white suit I would don it first.

You could borrow one of Tom's. He had 40.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file