Surprised that the Boy Scouts of America name change

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 2,816 Senior Member

and policy change didn't make the topic list here.
I see that the Mormon church discontinued its role as a chartered partner. Was it because of the decision to include girls?

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,167 Senior Member

Its been a long time coming.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Boy Scouts go under. Mormons are by far the largest single demographic of Boy scouts. In my town there was only one non-LDS troop growing up.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,816 Senior Member
    edited May 11 #3

So sad. But i think that was the plan from the beginning from the progressive movement.

It's hard to imagine a more wholesome program for young men. I'll never forget my days with them.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,708 Senior Member
    edited May 11 #4

I guess dad's are going to have to start taking their kids outdoors on their own. The LDS church started removing its support once the BSA stopped discriminating against gays. Personally I think it has become somewhat of an anachronism. I also think that separating boys and girls in these activities is probably not a good thing as they become foreign to each other and encourages the objectification of women,

I don't see how including young women would make it any less wholesome.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,614 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    So sad. But i think that was the plan from the beginning from the progressive movement.

It's hard to imagine a more wholesome program for young men. I'll never forget my days with them.

Sad on the national level? Yeah, I could see that. Sad that the LDS church is discontinuing their involvement? Perhaps, but I'm sure they will start their own program. It is a really, really big thing here.

Mike,
    I think the only problem the progressive movement had with scouting (especially Mormon scouting) was the bigotry. The lens through which I view scouting is a local one and I see where the progressives (that's me!) are coming from. It was not an inclusive group. But as I said, they will probably continue the tradition of scouting under a new name and banner.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,703 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:

Perhaps, but I'm sure they will start their own program. It is a really, really big thing here.

NPR said they already have a plan for a faith-based program.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Hot Take:
    It already was a faith based program.

The whole thing is sad Shawn. Just look what being all inclusive got them. You can't be all things to everyone. Will the same folks attack the faith based groups now? You bet they will.

@MikeA said:
    The whole thing is sad Shawn. Just look what being all inclusive got them. You can't be all things to everyone. Will the same folks attack the faith based groups now? You bet they will.

It's the wholesale rejection of groups they didn't like. That is wrong. If a gay 12 year old wants to be a Boy Scout, why should he not have that opportunity? Are campfires and merit badges only for straight kids?

I'm against faith-based groups as a general rule but you already knew that. >:) However, if it is private they can do whatever they like. As long as there are no tax advantages or government money involved it really doesn't matter how much I disagree with their mission statement.

@Shawn C. said:

@MikeA said:

It's the wholesale rejection of groups they didn't like. That is wrong. If a gay 12 year old wants to be a Boy Scout, why should he not have that opportunity? Are campfires and merit badges only for straight kids?

I'm against faith-based groups as a general rule but you already knew that. >:) However, if it is private they can do whatever they like. As long as there are no tax advantages or government money involved it really doesn't matter how much I disagree with their mission statement.

And they changed the rules. Then they allowed gay leaders. Then Trans. But even that wasn't enough. Nope. Lets push them to allow girls in the boy scouts. That'll fix em. Then they can't even call themselves boy scouts anymore.

They have destroyed one of the oldest most wholesome things available to young men ever in our history, at a time when they needed more than any time in history. Good work...

@fishingcomic said:
    I guess dad's are going to have to start taking their kids outdoors on their own. The LDS church started removing its support once the BSA stopped discriminating against gays. Personally I think it has become somewhat of an anachronism. I also think that separating boys and girls in these activities is probably not a good thing as they become foreign to each other and encourages the objectification of women,

JFC Trump is going to be annointed president for life.

Only a culture that pathologizes masculinity-and a political ideology that enables that pathology-would tolerate such abject nonsense. Masculinity is hard-wired into the species. It can't be excised out, no matter how hard the left tries to do it.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    edited May 11 #12

They've already changed their name from Boy scouts to Scouts BSA.
    When they started letting gay leaders in, it was the end for the scouts. We had one troop here started by two gay dudes and nobody would join it and they couldn't get chartered. Then the aclu was drug into it and they blamed the Scouts for this which is BS. Bottom line was, with all the troops in town, the gay boys had nothing to offer so the boys joined the other troops.
    Letting girls in is the last straw. I think is fine in Cub Scouts, but not in Boy Scouts. It's hard enough to keep boys on track with their Eagle stuff, but when you throw girls into the mix with a group of 14-15 year old boys, it's chaos. Just too many hormones.
    In the big cities where they don't spend most weekends in the wilderness girls will probably work, but in a high adventure troop, I just don't see it. There are for sure girls out there who are just as tough as the boys and keep up with the best, but they are rare. We did a 8 day hike in New Mexico with a group of elite girl scouts (can't remember what they were called). It was just not a comfortable atmosphere when camped. Wasn't the same with the girls there.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,812 Senior Member

I wonder if this is just a reaction to falling membership numbers? I agree it does not make sense for kids of that age. The Girl Scouts organization was blind-sided, BTW. There was no consultation or advance warning.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Well, I for one don't really care about the boy scouts but I do NOT want to live in a world without those girl scout thin mints. Those things are like crack.

@MikeA said:

@Shawn C. said:

@MikeA said:

And they changed the rules. Then they allowed gay leaders. Then Trans. But even that wasn't enough. Nope. Lets push them to allow girls in the boy scouts. That'll fix em. Then they can't even call themselves boy scouts anymore.

They have destroyed one of the oldest most wholesome things available to young men ever in our history, at a time when they needed more than any time in history. Good work...

Does having these people participate in the scouts cause you to melt little snowflake?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

Only a culture that pathologizes masculinity-and a political ideology that enables that pathology-would tolerate such abject nonsense. Masculinity is hard-wired into the species. It can't be excised out, no matter how hard the left tries to do it.

You are mistaking my intention. I have nothing against masculinity. Having young men and boys learn at an early age to treat young women with respect and dignity is not emasculating. In fact it enhances a man's masculinity.

The fact that men and women are separated is actually a root cause in failed relationships and sexual repression. I think a guy could benefit from learning how to talk to women.

edited May 12 #17

@CO Native said:
    They've already changed their name from Boy scouts to Scouts BSA.
    When they started letting gay leaders in, it was the end for the scouts. We had one troop here started by two gay dudes and nobody would join it and they couldn't get chartered. Then the aclu was drug into it and they blamed the Scouts for this which is BS. Bottom line was, with all the troops in town, the gay boys had nothing to offer so the boys joined the other troops.
    Letting girls in is the last straw. I think is fine in Cub Scouts, but not in Boy Scouts. It's hard enough to keep boys on track with their Eagle stuff, but when you throw girls into the mix with a group of 14-15 year old boys, it's chaos. Just too many hormones.
    In the big cities where they don't spend most weekends in the wilderness girls will probably work, but in a high adventure troop, I just don't see it. There are for sure girls out there who are just as tough as the boys and keep up with the best, but they are rare. We did a 8 day hike in New Mexico with a group of elite girl scouts (can't remember what they were called). It was just not a comfortable atmosphere when camped. Wasn't the same with the girls there.

That is some silly stuff right there. I was not a scout but I had neighbors that hosted many camping trips with both boys and girls involved. We were a pretty tight knit group and quite frankly sex was not really an issue as we were already very familiar with each other and that attraction just never developed.

In fact to this day many of us are still friends 40 years later.

Oh and two of the guys on those trips were also Eagle Scouts.

Just don't be offended soccer moms when mule d--- Danny takes a leak in front off your precious little princess in the woods.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,713 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

You are mistaking my intention. I have nothing against masculinity. Having young men and boys learn at an early age to treat young women with respect and dignity is not emasculating. In fact it enhances a man's masculinity.

The fact that men and women are separated is actually a root cause in failed relationships and sexual repression. I think a guy could benefit from learning how to talk to women.

I was never in scouts. Plenty of friends that were when i was a kid, and yes, vat majority mormons. In fact had meetings at their church which was a block away. Anyway these days my son has plenty of friends in them, none that are mormons as far as I know. And I have plenty of friends that I didn't know as kids who were Scouts, tons of them were Eagle Scouts

All I do know is to say that Scouts somehow is encouraging the objectification of women is about the dumbest thing I have ever read here.

Scouts IMO does a great job of teaching respect and honor. The kids my sons age are super polite. They are learning manners and respect. They have to learn to approach and talk to people with their popcorn sales. The friends I have at work, two of my best friends, are some of the ost honorable and polite guys I know. They didn't learn to objectify women in Scouts...Scouts helped them become the men they are.

As Sherb stated I dont particularly care about them, my on didnt want o join so fine. But having an organization that teaches things like respect, honor, public service etc go down the toilet is no way to go. There is nothing wrong with having a Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts program.

@MikeA said:
    Just don't be offended soccer moms when mule d--- Danny takes a leak in front off your precious little princess in the woods.

Man you guys are obsessed with other men's pee pees.

All I do know is to say that Scouts somehow is encouraging the objectification of women is about the dumbest thing I have ever read here.

Reading for comprehension is difficult for you. I am saying keeping the sexes separate does. This is an issue that happens the world over. To be honest I am surprised that you are taking the same position as the Taliban.

Scouts IMO does a great job of teaching respect and honor. The kids my sons age are super polite. They are learning manners and respect. They have to learn to approach and talk to people with their popcorn sales. The friends I have at work, two of my best friends, are some of the ost honorable and polite guys I know. They didn't learn to objectify women in Scouts...Scouts helped them become the men they are.

>

And how would this change by allowing young women in the scouts?

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,713 Senior Member

Why does it need changing. It doesn’t

You spend way too much of your life in fear of change.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    edited May 15 #25

So a guy who isn't married, and has never been in Scouts is lecturing us on relationships and scouting outings. Anything else you haven't done that you're an expert in?

well apparently you are an expert on being a **** and a snowflake.

edited May 16 #27

The ironic thing is you have never gone camping with a girl and you are an expert on that, you also know nothing about what it is like to be a transgendered person or a homosexual and yet you feel free to expound ad nauseum on those things as well.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,856 Senior Member

@CO Native said:
    So a guy who isn't married, and has never been in Scouts is lecturing us on relationships and scouting outings. Anything else you haven't done that you're an expert in?

Chris knows everything about anything and he is not shy about telling you so.

Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

@fishingcomic said:
    The ironic thing is you have never gone camping with a girl and you are an expert on that, you also know nothing about what it is like to be a transgendered person or a homosexual.

We got one of each and I can tell you it's hell for them. The company did all the disgusting indoctrination but you can't make people accept them. They bounce them around, myself I think they are waiting to be insulted and get their feelings hurt with visions of a big payday.

It is so tough for them to deal with bigots like you. But you don't know anything about them other than your bigotry towards them.

See what I mean you don't know the situation but you always have an answer. Absolutely amazing Chris.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file