29 Years Later...

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 10,023 Senior Member

Replies

• EchoTestEchoTest Posts: 480 Senior Member

Well, apparently when people don't like something apparently they can complain about it and then people are pressured to change! And if people don't like that....wait....PARADOX ALERT...PARADOX ALERT...REALITY SHIFT REALITY SHIFT...EVERYBODY CHECK THEIR SHORTS AND MAKE SURE YOU STILL HAVE TWO (unless girls still exist and you were naturally born instead of just identify as one and haven't gone through the change yet of course!)

WTFudgesicles do we do when people don't like it when they are being pressured to change because other people don't like something and don't want to change to where they don't care about it?

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,023 Senior Member

"It's" is a contraction for "it is" The possessive form of "it" is "its.'"
    The grammar ****'s work for this thread is, I certainly hope, done.
    Frankly, Apu, stereotyped as he is/was, has always been one of the most lovable characters on the Simpsons.
    Their portrayal of his wife as a baby machine is over the top, but the "Indian owner of a convenience store who works twenty-seven hours a day" i an accurate stereotype in many places.

Jim

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member

Darn grammar police.

Blame my phone for the auto correct feature. Blame me for not catching it. It's a thing you know...

As a white guy, maybe I should be offended by Homer.

Comedy, parody and fictional escape some folks...

You can't be offended by Homer ( a white guy) unless he's being played by somebody who isn't white! Its the rules!

****....It's the rules! I hate when I do that! ;)

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member

I can do that accent perfectly as well. If he quits, I'd be happy to step in for the money he gets paid. Screw everyone who doesn't like it, I DO NOT CARE!!!

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member

Well NZ-- it's like Eddie Vedder said......"It's Evolution Baby"

Could you See "The Honeymooners" playing today---primetime
    Ralph waving his fist saying....."To the moon Alice"

I'm not sure Archie Bunker could say today what was said in the 70's----even tho it was to expose issues

Or would people make fun of Mrs. Cleaver when she says to Ward......"Jeez Ward--you were awful hard on The Beaver last night" (Certainly not me)

I think the question is why do people think others should change to accommodate their feelings instead of them being willing to change to accommodate the feelings of others? Is everybody else responsible for their feelings and they don't have to own their own? Why can't everybody be responsible for their own feelings and leave everybody else to feel whatever they feel free of everybody else?

Back in the 80s when there were so many coke heads and crack heads running around I had a friend who on observing one fiending for more would always mimic Curly from the Stooges and say 'What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine!'.....well...its not exactly the same but its not more than .00000001 shakes of a lamb's tail away from it either!

And if you prefer it simpler than that....one guy paints his house blue because he likes the way his house being blue makes him feel.....another guy across the street says he doesn't like the way blue makes him feel and he starts working to make you repaint it red....either way somebody isn't going to like how they feel about the outcome....so....in this situation who has to accommodate who's feelings...who has to consider who's feelings...who has to feel bad so that somebody else doesn't...who isn't being considerate of someone's feelings?

Some people like Apu and don't think there's anything wrong with it....some people don't like it and think its wrong!

Hey...don't you have to actually change the channel and watch the Simpsons? Or are we talking like in another country where they belt you down and staple your eyelids to your forehead and jack you up with amphetamines and make you watch the Simpsons all day and night long?

Hell...I find Krusty the Klown more offensive than Apu....my mom is half clown! You don't see me crying about it!

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,879 Senior Member

This thread had potential, oh well

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Your completely voluntary choice. I think its just fine!

I mean, after all. no matter if there are zero replies or a thousand....most people just read the first and reply at the bottom. so there's no effect from what's in the middle or I would change!

I'm not a d!ck!

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,891 Senior Member

@CO Native said:
    I can do that accent perfectly as well. If he quits, I'd be happy to step in for the money he gets paid. Screw everyone who doesn't like it, I DO NOT CARE!!!

That would be fine with me. They could get Eddie Murphy to voice the Wasp, Jewish and other white ethnic characters and all would be well with the world!

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Ummm....sincerely I have no problem or criticism with what you meant...its my fault I am not clear on what you're saying and was wandering what it was....that if Eddie Murphy was to voice all the white ethnic characters you'd be fine with it or the rest of the people in the world would be fine with it too and if the latter...or something else....or are you pointing out that if white ethnic characters were portrayed by a non white (especially in a show where the characters are ridiculous exaggerations of stereotypes meant for amusement) that all would not be well in the world of white people?....what do you mean?

I promise my only response will be 'thank you' for the answer!

You should google Eddie Murphy barber shop scene for a small example.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,762 Senior Member

Are you also a big fan of minstrel shows?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@George K said:

I watched Coming to America (all the barbershop scenes) and I get that Eddie Murphy played multiple parts..some were exaggerated stereotypes..... and he was funny and I had no problems with any of it....but I'm probably overthinking what you meant within the context of this thread when you said 'They could get Eddie Murphy to voice the Wasp, Jewish and other white ethnic characters and all would be well with the world!'....I'm thinking now it might be as simple as you thought he was funny in those scenes and you had no problems with any of them?

BTW...really liked Eddy Murphy for a long time...for me he was always able to make scenes appear in front of me with just words...was a master at dropping the punch line....and was able to play characters so well they too seemed real and in front of me and not somebody acting....

Love when he's playing scuba with G.I. Joe in the tub and gets busted...loved Mr Robinson....loved Nat E. Dred Rasta Gourmet....Dion and Blair...GUMBY.....James Brown...Velvet Jones...Buckwheat.....Pudge and Solomon....

edited April 2018 #23

@Bushart said:
    Well NZ-- it's like Eddie Vedder said......"It's Evolution Baby"

Could you See "The Honeymooners" playing today---primetime
    Ralph waving his fist saying....."To the moon Alice"

I'm not sure Archie Bunker could say today what was said in the 70's----even tho it was to expose issues

Or would people make fun of Mrs. Cleaver when she says to Ward......"Jeez Ward--you were awful hard on The Beaver last night" (Certainly not me)

Great song. Evolution? I don't know about that.

The butt hurt generation needs to get a life. Everyone needs to stop being so d-amn sensitive and learn to laugh a little. It's a CARTOON fercripesakes!! Every character on the Simpsons is caricature. If we can't laugh at what makes us funny then get rid of all comedy in all forms.

Maybe Mort Goldman is next...

@fishingcomic said:

Are you also a big fan of minstrel shows?

Yes sir Mr. Bones!!!!!

;) :p

so once again unless it offends you, nobody has a right to complain.

I loved Eddie Murphy and his imitations.
    Our old CEO was from Germany and had a heavy German accent. We called him Colonel Klink to his face and he had no issue with it.
    If he was a millennial he'd sue us.
    Pretty soon we won't be able to laugh at people doing stupid stunts.

edited April 2018 #27

Do yourself a favor and watch those videos. nobody is suing anybody. But this is not just a bunch of whining. That is something right wingers do.

BTW I bet if you showed up to work in blackface, that same CEO would have fired you.

Speaking of blackface, and as a measure of how much things have changed in living memory, try watching "Holiday Inn" (1942), the original version of "White Christmas" (1954). It has a major production number with Bing Crosby in blackface.

@fishingcomic said:
    so once again unless it offends you, nobody has a right to complain.

I've never had a problem with people complaining about something....everybody has a right to feel and think however they feel and think.....what I have a problem with....or more correctly what makes me deeply suspicious....is when people try and force others into undesirable contentious change because of how they feel....and its a war that's usually fought with allegations like no respect, no consideration, being marginalized, being treated as inferior, disenfranchised, equality, etc ad infinitum...people want to be accommodated....they want their feelings accommodated.....

But...what about all those considerations and rights and feelings of their targets....and then it just simply seems to be just a bunch of people fighting a war to be the victors over somebody else...and who is being inconsiderate now? Who is accommodating who's feelings now? Who isn't being respected, being considered, being marginalized, disenfranchised now? Who isn't being treated equally now?....which all begs the question from me...what is really behind all this? Is it that same old underlying theme and drivers form within the Id that constantly play out in the world's of man? Dominance, influence, power, survival as a group, a demographic, a class, a religion, etc ad infniitum...you know...the old Id driven socialized and enculturated 'those who are we' against 'those who are them' thing......????

We live in this world (and country by the way) where people demand and claim to have great levels of self determination and inherent individual rights and freedoms.....and then so many simultaneously run around demanding so much be given to them by others....not just tangible things but things like respect and consideration and accommodation....you do it...you change...you accommodate me....but where's the reciprocating...where's the t!t for tat...where's the equal caring and giving and respect and considerations....you keep this back and forth going on and its just going to keep going on back and forth just like every cyclic BS thing that constantly goes this way and then that way and then back the other way and then back....its always going in....people are getting tired of all this PC crap....'Why do I have to give up my rights to think and feel how I think and feel to accommodate some butthirt snowflakes feelings?'

Why don't we all just respect everybody's individual rights freedoms and stop trying to force them into changing in ways they don't want to change...and we ALL own our of own feelings and thoughts and accept our responsibility to learn to reconcile them with whatever conflicts exist between them and what goes on out there in the rest of the world....not be running around doing this Id driven socialized enculturated competitive thing of 'those who are we' against 'those who are them' that's really at the root of it all.....'cause that's TOTAL BS!....that's where everybiody is wrong....and that's why we have and can't solve the biggest problems we have! We're all scadillion competing groups of 'We' instead of realizing we are all part of a much bigger and more critically significant group of 'us' who are riders of the rock we are destroying at a catastrophically cataclysmic rate.....we're rapidly consuming all our resources....driving all our fellow species to extinction....destroying the only place we have to live to the pont it will soon not be able to sustain any life.....and 'you' want some BS mental construct feelings of yours accommodated?

Nobody sees everything that's wrong with this?

@fishingcomic said:
    Do yourself a favor and watch those videos. nobody is suing anybody. But this is not just a bunch of whining. That is something right wingers do.

BTW I bet if you showed up to work in blackface, that same CEO would have fired you.

If it's not whining, what do you call it? I think that guy is just pissed because it's a white guy. If it was him doing that voice, then it would ok.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,837 Senior Member

@George K said:

Oh, Eddie can do white ethnics. No problem for him. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.