This guy is having a fun day

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 2,114 Senior Member

I'm currently rethinking my opposition to a $15 minimum wage.

Replies

• EchoTestEchoTest Posts: 480 Senior Member

Yeah...well....except that the cost of goods alone is 33% of sales...direct labor costs (ages and bennies).....overhead....filling display cases....cleaning counters and table tops....filling the dispensers and baskets and containers at the serve yourself bar....cleaning machines...machine setups....closing out end of day.....

Now...how many coffee would a barista have to make per hour to turn pay for everything let alone turn a profit?

To paraphrase Hudson Hawk when faced with a situation such as this: "Bet you wish you were a robot instead of unemployed because they're the only thing that can profitably do your old job!'

Might be better all the way round...people always get the beverage they actually ordered at half the time....people have some thing to yell at that don't get all butt hurt and go running off to return later with an AR15 they got through the underground barter economy from a preschool prostitot working out of a van down by the river.....and Jimbo gets to seek a career that's more upwardly mobile than barista.....like....collecting dryer lint out of the washing machines of the rich and famous to sell on the internet for cyber cash........

:)

Wait....I really screwed that up....its like I'm a dyslexic with Tourettes and about a liter of methanol moonshine and an ounce of peyote in me right now....

Something's snafu'd in my head....no....its because my fingers are faster than my internal voice...I was thinking dryer lint...which comes from a dryer and not a washing machine...and other things....but my fingers are like doing autocorrect before the word is typed..and other stuff.......

Same thing happened to me when I went to a new BBQ joint up the road from me....I asked for the highest BVA draft they had....kept sounding like Chevy Chases out of sequence wrong tense sidetracked man whenever he spoke to hot women....

Laters tators!

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,536 Senior Member

"I said low fat latte. LOW FAT!!!"

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,686 Senior Member

This coulnd't happen to a better company than Starbutts.

But really....why is this guy yelling at some guy who didn't call the cops? It was a woman manager. Why are they protesting Starbucks when the CEO said this was not their policy, and that the manager who called the cops wanted them out for loitering but not arrested which is also not Starbucks policy, and that it was partially a training problem that will be corrected? Why aren't the slapping the guys who were taking up a table so that possibly payint cus

Why aren't the protesters slapping the guys who didn't purchase anything but sat there for 30 minutes playing on their phones when its possible paying customers didn't get to sit down to have their coffee, snacks, or meals?

Its just part of my theory that we constantly feel, see, smell, hear and hear about all 7.5 billion people on this rock and everything we think and feel and do to each other and other species and this planet all the time 24/7 social media everywhere....protest hatred bias slefishness rob steal shoot kill.....and subsciously....we feel the rage...theirs....our own....there's just too many of us on this rock....and its only going to get worse....massive species extinction because we convert/destroy their space or eat them....several oceans about to be completely choked out from our trash....land and beaches and wetlands and cites/village/tons flooding as oceans and rivers rise and flood them...15 billion soon!

They're just looking for somebody to yell at....or...get their 15 minutes of internet fame...hey everybody...that's me yelling at the barista....look...I'm on the internet....'Hey...Mr. Internet Guy....you're stupid...and you're about to become a meme...do you know what a meme is...do you want me to spell it for you?'

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,732 Senior Member

Somewhere I saw a great comment - "If you're at Starbucks and order black coffee it's automatically to go."

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,114 Senior Member

@EchoTest said:
    But really....why is this guy yelling at some guy who didn't call the cops? It was a woman manager. Why are they protesting Starbucks when the CEO said this was not their policy, and that the manager who called the cops wanted them out for loitering but not arrested which is also not Starbucks policy, and that it was partially a training problem that will be corrected?

Its akin to yelling at the middle school janitor because the school board banned Catcher in the rye. Makes no sense. It clearly wasn't starbucks policy, the manager got shown the door, and the CEO of the company offered to meet with the aggrieved parties.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 973 Senior Member

You could say the noise made you flinch and one quick jab and he'd be eating that megaphone.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,222 Senior Member
    edited April 17 #11

@EchoTest said:
    But really....why is this guy yelling at some guy who didn't call the cops?

Because B.U.T.T.Hurt

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

Not sure on this one---if loitering is common at Starbucks---then yeah I guess they're wrong---don't know as I've never been to one

But around here---it's common practice that if your not buyin---they'll ask you to not take up seating
    And again common is signage saying bathrooms are for paying customers

Did I miss something about this. The guys were arrested for trespassing and disturbance. I'm not finding anything where it says they were asked to leave and refused. Did that happen? That's the only way the cops would arrest them.
    If they were asked to leave and refused, then what's the issue? No different than the homeless here that hang out at McDonald's to stay warm and charge their phone. They are asked to leave and if they don't, the cops come and arrest them. Nobody is raising hell about this because the bums here are white.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,258 Senior Member

News reports said they were asked to leave, they said they were waiting on someone, and they refused.

The problem some have is that several other clients in there have said they did the same thing (wait a half an hour or so for friends, use the restroom, etc.) and they haven't been asked to leave. Those other clients are white. So the question is: why were these two gents asked to leave? The other customers said that they were sitting there quietly, not causing a disturbance.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,212 Senior Member

Should went to Caribou coffee.

There's also been a rise in laptop thefts at Starbucks. Maybe had something to do with the cops being called. I don't know.

NZ - The point is that the manager called the cops on blacks who were waiting for a friend and wanted to use the rest room before ordering, but not on whites doing the same.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,536 Senior Member

I tend to frequent my locally owned coffee shop. Much better coffee and customer service. But I'm sure as heck not going to boycott Starbucks because one manager at one location made a bad call. Man, liberals are such g-dam pansies at times.

You know, I'm mixed race, and for me personally its provided me with insights and experiences that helped me understand along with other things, such as the common dna we all share, our common origins, why we ended up 'diferent' externally, etc ad infinitum....and I know we're all the same people, we're all the same kinds of good and/or bad, and this whole 'race' thing and many other 'differences' we group people into are mostly just mental constructs for all intents and purposes....so what I'm about to say has got nothing to do with 'color'.....

BUT.....the more and more I read about this....the more and more I'm beginning to suspect there are several people working this thing in collusion....as in it was premeditated...and so far its all going according to script....

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,580 Senior Member

@sherb said:

@EchoTest said:
    But really....why is this guy yelling at some guy who didn't call the cops? It was a woman manager. Why are they protesting Starbucks when the CEO said this was not their policy, and that the manager who called the cops wanted them out for loitering but not arrested which is also not Starbucks policy, and that it was partially a training problem that will be corrected?

Its akin to yelling at the middle school janitor because the school board banned Catcher in the rye. Makes no sense. It clearly wasn't starbucks policy, the manager got shown the door, and the CEO of the company offered to meet with the aggrieved parties.

I was about to say something very similar.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@George K said:
    NZ - The point is that the manager called the cops on blacks who were waiting for a friend and wanted to use the rest room before ordering, but not on whites doing the same.

All the stories I read say they weren't ordering at all and were asked to leave because they weren't ordering. But I don't think there was a need for this incident to end with these two men in handcuffs either.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,258 Senior Member

But why were they asked to leave because they weren't ordering, but other folks who've done the exact same thing haven't been asked to leave? That's the question a lot of folks are asking.

@breamfisher said:
    But why were they asked to leave because they weren't ordering, but other folks who've done the exact same thing haven't been asked to leave? That's the question a lot of folks are asking.

Show me the proof of "others doing this". You keep saying this and I'm sure the store patrons say this, but I call BS. They are just saying this to make it bigger racial thing.

edited April 18 #23

@breamfisher said:
    But why were they asked to leave because they weren't ordering.

Go to your favorite breakfast cafe this weekend and sit down at your favorite booth or table. When the waitress shows up at your table, just tell her you aren't ordering anything and that you would just like to sit there.

How much you wanna bet they ask you to leave? Isn’t that how things work in most cafes and restaurants? I’ve seen signs at numerous cafes/retaurants/supper clubs in WI and MI specifically noting that seating space is for patrons only.

@CO Native said:

@breamfisher said:

Show me the proof of "others doing this". You keep saying this and I'm sure the store patrons say this, but I call BS. They are just saying this to make it bigger racial thing.

I have done it countless times.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@NZ Indicator said:

@breamfisher said:
    But why were they asked to leave because they weren't ordering.

Go to your favorite breakfast cafe this weekend and sit down at your favorite booth or table. When the waitress shows up at your table, just tell her you aren't ordering anything and that you would just like to sit there.

How much you wanna bet they ask you to leave? Isn’t that how things work in most cafes and restaurants? I’ve seen signs at numerous cafes/retaurants/supper clubs in WI and MI specifically noting that seating space is for patrons only.

This I have also done. I just tell them I am waiting on friends.

Yeah, I've done the same and was told to go wait outside.

That could have been because of the smell.

edited April 18 #28

My Axe deodorant doesn't stink d-amn it!!!

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,748 Senior Member

You can certainly smell the tolerance in that lost post.

NZ, you just need to check your privilege bro!

I used to do an open mic at a Starbucks, only about half of the audience bought anything and I was probably the only comic who did. No arrests made.

Let's keep it civil.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file