Beam up for a sip

creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 124 Senior Member

Reuters) - U.S. radio host Art Bell, known for his discussions of conspiracy theories and paranormal phenomena during his popular syndicated show “Coast to Coast AM”, has died at his home in Nevada aged 72, the local sheriff’s office said. The show developed a cult following after he created it in 1993 and was touted as the country’s most listened to overnight radio program. It featured Bell expounding on topics as diverse as UFO sightings, Bigfoot and crop circles."
I used to listen to him when I was driving home late. People called in with the craziest storys, but he never doubted them. I think he had no idea what nonsense he would spawn over time.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,258 Senior Member

Did he really die? Or is that what "they" want you to believe?

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,580 Senior Member

The Illuminati have him tied up in a garage. Ask Ed, he knows.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,732 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    The Illuminati have him tied up in a garage. Ask Ed, he knows.

I heard it was an underground bunker at CIA headquarters. Or perhaps in Area 66.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,536 Senior Member

He had some crazy shiite on his show but it was still pretty entertaining at times.

• EchoTestEchoTest Posts: 480 Senior Member

I think that's about the time I stopped listening to radio. Around '98 is when I stopped listening to anything in the car, period. I used to be a total music head, from the time I was 6. My parent's bought a mid century Grundig tube console when we were living in Wiesbaden. I was so totally into records and 45s. I got me a cheap acoustic from Monkey Wards or Sears and was into guitars. Had the Grundig in my bedroom from middle school into my teens. Had Radio Shack wooden boxes with prismatic plastic fronts and colored lights syncopated to the stereo. Wired the output jack of a cassette player into the speakers. Had several guitars by the time I was in my teens, and ruined a super rare Mel Bay New Yorker a kid was left from his grandfather that he sold me for 25 bucks and after a couple years I poured glitter and polyurethane all over it and then used paint stripper to get it off and it fell apart. I grew up with a famous rock station in town, Kiss FM in San Antonio. I used to listen to Kmac out of California that they piped in on phone lines and they played the heavy stuff. We'd get weird no holds barred stuff from across the border all the time too. When in the Navy I bought a monster Pioneer system for my car, head unit, eqaualizer, two amps, 4 speakers...ordered it out of the overseas AAFES catalog as soon as my ship deployed overseas and had it shipped to my home of record where my car was waiting for me. When we delivered newspapers we always had all the great shows and stations.....KLBJ out of Austin...Kiss in San Antonio....all kind of awesome am programming...Dr Demento...King Biscuit Flour Hour....we'd stop at payphones and drop dimes and quarters and call up and make requests for the strangest stuff we knew....I had abut 500 cassettes at one time...most of them recorded off records I owned and 'masters'...I sold the entire box of them for 10 bucks to a late straggler at our moving garage sale when we left Colorado in 2005....I have tons of CDs....5 guitars and equipment in 'my' room....with all the rest of 'my' stuff...

And then one day I just didn't listen to anything anymore....I like thinking, planning, designing, making lists, ranking things, free form whatever...looking around...wondering about things...seeing things...thinking about how I'd do those things......any sound going on is just too distracting...especially music...I start thinking about the parts...how they're being played...taking them apart musically...

I like it quiet in cars...its about the only time its peaceful....when I worked it was my alone time....either at work or with the wife and kids (our dogs).....and driving back and forth to work was my alone time...always busy busy busy going going going....and driving back and forth was wind down time....or get ready time....thinking about what was ahead....

Yep...93 was about the time when I stopped listening to stuff in the car....2005 was about the time I stopped listening to music altogether....I'll 'listen' to music sometimes when its on television....especially AXIS.....and always when I drive my Vette....its a driving car....music is good for driving....I mean really driving....fast...windy roads...open highway (we got one of those toll roads that's like 85....and some other roads that are 85....tack on the standard extra 10mph above and your doing 95....throw on that there's pretty much never anybody on the toll road and 100+ is easy...its a good road....its usually empty....costs too much....and I'm not on it but about one a year...if that....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file