UBI

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,848 Senior Member

Universal basic income is an idea that should have been implemented a long time ago. Eventually, people will recognize that an energy system should replace the money system completely'

http://www.madnesshub.com/2018/03/should-we-pay-everyone-1000-month-case.html

Should we pay everyone £1,000 a month? The case for Universal Basic Income as robots take over jobs

Under the scheme, ­everyone would get a set amount of cash every month.

Trials have been done in ­several countries and a test run is now planned in Scotland.

UBI is now the focus of a book, It’s Basic Income, out this week, and other famous fans include Tesla and PayPal founder Elon Musk , Virgin chief Sir Richard Branson and Facebook supremo Mark Zuckerberg.

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member

No thanks. I believe in rewarding effort and skill with higher pay.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,947 Senior Member

This was one of Nixon's proposals, in the form of a negative income tax, that did not come to pass. And the idea was not new with him.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,848 Senior Member

That could still happen with a basic income> @Buffco said:

No thanks. I believe in rewarding effort and skill with higher pay.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,047 Senior Member

So people who don't work at all would get basic income?

Yes, according to this plan everyone would have basic income.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,047 Senior Member

Haha- and everyone would have a unicorn that spewed Snicker bars instead of horse crap.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,369 Senior Member

We had a thread about it some months back. If you will recall, Switzerland tried it and it bombed. Its not a popular idea. At least not yet.

There's a conservative case for it too, but it's instrumental rather than redistributive.

Anyway, Ed. UBI requires a money system, because someone has to work to pay for everyone's income.

Don't knock it, it's going to happen as robots take over more and more jobs.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,369 Senior Member

@EdB said:

Don't knock it, it's going to happen as robots take over more and more jobs.

I'm not knocking it. automation may eventually require something along the lines of UBI. I'm not there yet. As the last month has shown, the US economy still has room to grow.

Don't knock it was for CO Native. From the article:

A survey last year showed half of Brits would back UBI. And following trials in Finland, the Netherlands and Canada, the Scottish government is preparing pilot schemes in Glasgow, Fife and Edinburgh. Local councils have until later this month to make bids.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,947 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    We had a thread about it some months back. If you will recall, Switzerland tried it and it bombed. Its not a popular idea. At least not yet.

**There's a conservative case for it too, but it's instrumental rather than redistributive.
    Anyway, Ed. UBI requires a money system, because someone has to work to pay for everyone's income.

That was the argument when Nixon proposed a negative income tax to replace many welfare programs. But since someone else has to pay for it, at the end of the day it winds up being redistributive. I think it's a good idea that will not work in practice, as the Swiss discovered and I believe the Scots will discover. (The wheel will be re-invented)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,366 Senior Member

That ain't workin' that's the way you do it....Money for nothin' and chicks for free.

You're so silly Ed.

Free chicks work in any system.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,403 Senior Member

@EdB said:

Free chicks work in any system.

Mic drop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file