No discussion of the school shooting in Florida?

Replies

• EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,845 Senior Member
    According to CNN someone called the FBI tipline on Jan 5 warning about the shooter.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,651 Senior Member
    A very intelligent man posted on Facebook this week that voting Republican meant we had the blood of innocent children on our hands. That's the depth of commitment to "fixing" the problem that the left has ascribed to. So long as they're willing to be just as emotionally stupid as that, I'll not concede a **** thing. If I thought they were serious about anything other than a ban, I'd come to the table to discuss it. But they ain't, so I won't.

**** 'em.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    He got the gun legally---then make it more difficult to obtain legally---is this too easy?

And gun control is not an instant take away everybody's guns---that's the extreme argument used in this cycle of insanity

And to address Buff's point on handguns---he's right---here rifles and shotguns are one thing---handguns are a restricted item ---and auto weapons are not allowed

And Sherb is correct---every country has loons---maybe they just have less access to weapons
    Bushart wrote: »

And gun control is not an instant take away everybody's guns---that's the extreme argument used in this cycle of insanity

They go extreme, we go extreme. But we do have history on our side.

What makes a shotgun with a 16" barrel deadlier than one with a 20"? What about a rifle? I can cut the barrel down to 16" on a rifle. Shotgun has to be 18".

Yeah, screw their "common sense". It's the same thing with the internet. Old people in Congress dictating how we use the internet, when they can barely operate an email address.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,285 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    That's not what I'm suggesting. It's my opinion that as a responsible gun owner in an ever increasing anti gun environment, it's time to make some common sense concessions to avoid possibly repealing the second. Which will never happen.

No man has ever stopped with just the tip in.
    Steven wrote: »

Other countries do it
    Sure. Ask Mike if he'd be OK with Canada's gun laws.
    Sure. Ask Mike if he'd be OK with Canada's gun laws.

Or Australia's. Or England's.

My answer is hell no. Double barrel shotguns only, ol' chap, but must be inspected annually and kept under lock and key at all times when not in use at the risk of jail time, and can only be used in designated areas?

We kicked the English out for that kind of ****.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,787 Senior Member

You keep making the same argument. Tell us then, are there mentally unstable people in the UK?, How about Canada? OK then, what about Australia? My point is we can't be the only country on this planet that has "special people" that plot to mass kill.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,179 Senior Member
    I like how there's this notion that there's going to be legislation at some point. That's cute.

No bill will even make it out of committee in any statehouse or in the Congress.
    But I imagine Remington's creditors are happy.
    You guys are funny

Canada's gun laws??-

You'd be surprised how many rifles are on the seat beside the drivers at any given time in the country in hunting season---get pulled over by a cop in the US what's happening there?

You talk about societal decay---what is being said here is just that

Your saying that the "right" stays status quo and all "lefties" are looking for total confiscation---these statements are saying that the way things are right now---it is impossible to achieve middle ground

Looking for a symptom---look here
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,287 Senior Member
    Apparently, Tipper came by to say hello.

I'll say it again...everybody in that school knew this guy was a problem. Did one person say anything to anybody in authority?
    Just in case this got missed....

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-statement-on-the-shooting-in-parkland-florida/layout_view

Evidently someone did and the ball got dropped. Kinda like Dylan Roof in South Carolina.
    EdB wrote: »
    According to CNN someone called the FBI tipline on Jan 5 warning about the shooter.

Sessions has ordered a full review of FBI and DOJ procedures.

But really, one person? Just one person? There should have been dozens...daily.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,713 Senior Member
    Why don't we just ban schools? There has never been a school shooting not at a school. Simple banning logic says that to be safe you should ban guns and ban schools then all problems will be solved.

All dicking around aside as a father of school age kids I can't stand seeing this crap. I don't get what changed. 35 years ago we practiced fire drills, or hid under our desks for earthquake drills or to protect us from nuclear bombs. We never dealt with, nor did anyone ever think about schools getting shot up.

As a gun owner I've never shot anyone. It pisses me off that you can be responsible but since others can't the knee jerk reaction is legisltate the problem away.

I've yet to see any real answers to solve any problem and I don't expect to
    jbilly wrote: »
    As a gun owner I've never shot anyone.

Disappointing, I'm sure.
    I've yet to see any real answers to solve any problem and I don't expect to

Everyone knows exactly what needs to be done, they just won't go there.

As a proud gun owner I would gladly give up my guns if it meant saving children. 18 times already this year, and its only the middle of Feb.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,713 Senior Member

As a proud gun owner I would gladly give up my guns if it meant saving children. 18 times already this year, and its only the middle of Feb.

So why don't you go turn yours in to your local PD right now. There is nothing saying you can't give them up this instant. Do it, otherwise you are the problem.
    In actuality--giving up my guns is not my 1st choice

Now under what I believe are stricter gun laws----I have no problem functioning with my firearms---and this confiscation herring being dragged out makes me laugh

But it gets back to compromise----is it absolutely necessary to open carry auto weapons on the street as in some states? Tell that moron Nugent to take a pill.

We have to take an extensive safe handling course---and then get a background check from the RCMP---before even thinking about buying bullets----once it's done though---we're good

And if this procedure saves one shooting---is it not worth it?

Did you completely miss my post in response to the 18 school shootings lie?
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    There is only one coherent argument: its my right. People will die because I wish to maintain my right.

Please spare me the **** how rifles designed for the battlefield are no more lethal than Grandaddy's lever-action.

Sheb, I REALLY enjoy shooting both of my AR's. But, I would give them up in a heartbeat if you could snap your fingers and ALL black rifles, assault rifles (or whatever you want to call them) were off the street. If they were made illegal, and every honest person turned them in, how many do you think would still be out there owned by criminals?
    So in my mind it's just too late to take them off the street and I'm keeping mine.
    For the record, I do use the long barreled one for shooting prairie dogs. I'm in the process of getting a suppressor for just this reason.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,288 Senior Member

Except the gun isn't the problem. Is this really that difficult to understand?

Where I grew up in Michigan during the 80's, kids came to school with guns in their cars. Either in the trunk, laying out in the open on the back seat or on display in the gun rack on the back window of a truck...uncased. Guess what...nobody was ever shot and other students, teachers and administration weren't afraid if they walked by and saw a gun. Nobody ever gave second thought to a gun in the car in the school parking lot.

The whole argument about guns being the issue is totally **** bogus and "more gun control" is just a lazy solution which won't fix what the actual problem is.
    CO Native wrote: »
    Sheb, I REALLY enjoy shooting both of my AR's. But, I would give them up in a heartbeat if you could snap your fingers and ALL black rifles, assault rifles (or whatever you want to call them) were off the street. If they were made illegal, and every honest person turned them in, how many do you think would still be out there owned by criminals?
    So in my mind it's just too late to take them off the street and I'm keeping mine.
    For the record, I do use the long barreled one for shooting prairie dogs. I'm in the process of getting a suppressor for just this reason.

I like the AR platform myself and wish I had one. But I really feel the arguments tend to devolve to "we can't do ****," when the real argument is "we don't want to do ****." I know its not a perfect analogy, but think about how ubiquitous smoking in buildings, planes, bars, etc., used to be. Legislation can in fact change behavior.
    I like the AR platform myself and wish I had one. But I really feel the arguments tend to devolve to "we can't do ****," when the real argument is "we don't want to do ****." I know its not a perfect analogy, but think about how ubiquitous smoking in buildings, planes, bars, etc., used to be. Legislation can in fact change behavior.

Exactly

Kids in one room schoolhouses on the prairies in the 1800's didn't get shot up either---but this is 2018 with new challenges---so you need new rules
    I'm sure in 1955 it was safe also---but social media alone puts enormous pressure on kids today
    So why don't you go turn yours in to your local PD right now. There is nothing saying you can't give them up this instant. Do it, otherwise you are the problem.

Actually I'm not the problem. It is the individuals who demand that the 2nd amendment trumps any right to safety, the right to live life without the risk of going to school and getting shot. going to a concert and getting shot at.

So that makes you part of the complacency, the ones who think that 18 school shootings in two months is an acceptable sacrifice in order to have the right to your toys.

Hope your kids are safe.

Buffco wrote: »
    Did you completely miss my post in response to the 18 school shootings lie?

Yep, what makes it a lie?

My issue is... if you stop selling them and magazines now, what about the stuff that's already out there? What's to stop that from being sold? I won't even hazard a guess as to how many magazines are out there currently, but how do you handle those? Do you go house to house searching for them?

Oh, and response to one of your earlier statements, I have heard some folks say, "Well, that's the chance you run in living in a free society...." While I find that statement beyond distasteful, I also view bans/confiscation as non-starters for several reasons.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member

Not true. The words "I should tell you about my surgery" has stopped a few men.
    Yep, what makes it a lie?
    The data of what's a "school shooting" are somewhat tenuous. One school was actually abandoned and no longer being used as a school.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2018/feb/15/jeff-greenfield/mostly-false-18-us-school-shootings-so-far-2018-an/
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,820 Senior Member

A man was walking along a deserted beach at sunset. As he walked he could see a young boy in the distance, as he drew nearer he noticed that the boy kept bending down, picking something up and throwing it into the water. Time and again he kept hurling things into the ocean.As the man approached even closer, he was able to see that the boy was picking up starfish that had been washed up on the beach and, one at a time he was throwing them back into the water. The man asked the boy what he was doing, the boy replied," I am throwing these washed up starfish back into the ocean, or else they will die through lack of oxygen. "But", said the man, "You can't possibly save them all, there are thousands on this beach, and this must be happening on hundreds of beaches along the coast. You can't possibly make a difference." The boy smiled, bent down and picked up another starfish, and as he threw it back into the sea, he replied

"Made a difference to that one"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file