No discussion of the school shooting in Florida?

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,887 Senior Member
    ...........738db9b467041d2ead67806067e429d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

He bought his gun legally. This guy was not a career criminal with connections in the black market.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    If this latest one were the only one, would that not be enough?

I'm pointing out that this is a bogus, sensationalized number. A lie, actually.

Yes it's enough.
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,403 Senior Member
    Except, as always, the toys aren't the problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's as if for almost the past 20 years they've turned a blind eye to schoolings in mass killing Americans like the New Testament Bush's "man is God" jihad for Islam terrorists sociological human farming emulating actions.
    Steven wrote: »
    Apparently, Tipper came by to say hello.

I'll say it again...everybody in that school knew this guy was a problem. Did one person say anything to anybody in authority?

The kid was expelled for bringing in ammunition to the school. Other than that expulsion what could have been done legally?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    The kid was expelled for bringing in ammunition to the school. Other than that expulsion what could have been done legally?

It's obvious. We take the firearms from 90 million law abiding Americans.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,369 Senior Member
    You know...Instead of taking the cheap lazy way out by blaming the gun there needs to be some serious discussion as to what has changed in our society that has these kids so lost and so screwed in the head that they either take their own life or take the lives of others.

This problem will never be solved if we don't identify the cause. Blaming the means that one uses to kill others helps no one. More gun control is just a knee jerk reaction.
    He bought his gun legally. This guy was not a career criminal with connections in the black market.

I'm pointing out that in most cases that gun control isn't the answer. Was just a generalized meme.
    You know...Instead of taking the cheap lazy way out by blaming the gun there needs to be some serious discussion as to what has changed in our society that has these kids become so lost and so screwed in the head they either take their own life or take the lives of others.

This problem will never be solved if we don't identify the cause. Blaming the means that one uses to kill others helps no one.

It's because the root problem isn't easily addressed. Moral decay, the breakdown of the family unit, loss of respect for authority, disregard for human life.... How do we address that? The only thing the liberals have is confiscation. On our side, what do we have? Not much.

So, we'll lose these guns (and more, possibly) in my lifetime. Popular opinion will turn against it. I've accepted that's the way it is, and I'll just continue to vote against it and fight to keep what I have.
    Stop stop stop, Republicans have no interest in researching this, in fact they forbid the CDC from researching this honestly. They talk about mental health and then they cut funding to Medicaid, increasing the likelihood that people with mental health issues will go untreated.

Inaction is the name of the Republican game.
    I'm pointing out that in most cases that gun control isn't the answer. Was just a generalized meme.

Every school shooter got their guns legally. So it is a worthless meme in regards to this discussion.
    Stop stop stop, Republicans have no interest in researching this, in fact they forbid the CDC from researching this honestly. They talk about mental health and then they cut funding to Medicaid, increasing the likelihood that people with mental health issues will go untreated.

I just said we don't have many answers. And by answers, I'm talking about answers that actually address the root problem, not the lazy knee-jerk reaction of taking a single firearm that caused about 300 deaths last year, which is laughable when you consider handguns caused 8,000.
    Buffco wrote: »
    It's obvious. We take the firearms from 90 million law abiding Americans.

This has never once been proposed. But if you keep ignoring this issue, it could happen. That is the irony, the stubbornness of the NRA could indeed lead to a gun ban as people become fed up with this new reality.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,047 Senior Member

People who do something like this, or have threatened LE like the shooter of Deputy Parshall, should have their rights trampled on for the safety of the majority. As long as the ACLU protects people who are showing obvious signs of being a threat, we'll never stop this.

The Aurora theater shooter was another that showed MAJOR signs of being capable of mass murder, but because of this rights, nothing was done.
    The best part of our county is our rights and freedoms, but those are what's allowing these obvious crazies to NOT be stopped. Whatcha gonna do?
    This has never once been proposed. But if you keep ignoring this issue, it could happen. That is the irony, the stubbornness of the NRA could indeed lead to a gun ban as people become fed up with this new reality.

I'm not ignoring it. I don't know what to do. Stop asking those of us who legally own and operate these weapons for answers (nearly 1/3 of the American population.)
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,403 Senior Member

So when they tire of school shootings from all these mental health issues of shooters emulating the burning Bush's killing Americans on 9/11 & subsequently remove guns from the nation, then Islam will control the mass murders to profit.
    Every school shooter got their guns legally. So it is a worthless meme in regards to this discussion.

Point is he is a criminal. As many of the others in these cases are and "more gun control" isn't the answer.

The problems that need to be addressed, none of which are guns, are too numerous to count. In this particular case...this guy should have been sent to a mental health service center in his community... The guy definitely looks like he needed help and was giving all kinds of warning signs that went ignored.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,920 Senior Member
    Is this dude on a watch list?
    MikeA wrote: »
    Is this dude on a watch list?

Well he is now.
    I don't know what to do.

Hang more signs in the school that say "This is a Gun Free Zone"

:rolleyes:
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,369 Senior Member
    There is only one coherent argument: its my right. People will die because I wish to maintain my right.

Please spare me the **** how rifles designed for the battlefield are no more lethal than Grandaddy's lever-action.

I just want someone to state it openly: I don't care how many people die. its my right, just like the 4th Amendment and the 1st Amendment. The reason of course no one states it openly is because it makes you sound like an insane sociopath. So instead we have to hear over and over that gun control doesn't work, that anything we do will have no effect, that its a mental health issue, as if the United States is the only place in the world with crazy people.

I have plenty to say to the leftists too, like the debunked 18 school shootings in 2018 meme, but this is where I'm at right now.
    sherb wrote: »
    So instead we have to hear over and over that gun control doesn't work, that anything we do will have no effect,.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread...and this is just my opinion...having all sorts of measures in place for drug control hasn't worked so why would having stricter gun control laws work?

If there is a will there is a way.

Currently there is opioid epidemic in this country and all the drug control measures in place are doing zilch.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,403 Senior Member

Is this not illegal?
    Why didn't this get him immediately on a no-guns for you list? If there's no law, there should be.

Every. ****. Indication, was there that this was a powder keg...and nothing.
    There is only one coherent argument: its my right. People will die because I wish to maintain my right.

Please spare me the **** how rifles designed for the battlefield are no more lethal than Grandaddy's lever-action.

I just want someone to state it openly: I don't care how many people die. its my right, just like the 4th Amendment and the 1st Amendment. The reason of course no one states it openly is because it makes you sound like an insane sociopath. So instead we have to hear over and over that gun control doesn't work, that anything we do will have no effect, that its a mental health issue, as if the United States is the only place in the world with crazy people.

It's my right as guaranteed by the Second Amendment.
    If the government can't violate my right to freedom of religion, if it can find a less obtrusive way to obtain its goals, it can't violate my right to own a weapon unless it can't find a less obtrusive way to stop gun violence.

The fact is the state, the city, the school, and the citizenry fell asleep on the job.

I have plenty to say to the leftists too, like the debunked 18 school shootings in 2018 meme, but this is where I'm at right now.

Amen.
    It won't make a difference isn't a valid argument any more. It would have made a difference in Vegas, it would have made a difference in Fl. That's enough to change my mind.
    Is this not illegal?
    Why didn't this get him immediately on a no-guns for you list? If there's no law, there should be.

Every. ****. Indication, was there that this was a powder keg...and nothing.

Steven if you visit places where young people post and read some comments you'll see there are millions of power kegs out there. The FBI can't possibly track them all. Now is the time to ask what can I do. I can sacrifice militarized weaponry and still plink, and hunt, with my wood guns. I can do that.
    Fine, if you want to sacrifice a right, then support the repeal or change of the Second Amendment. I'm perfectly good with this.

The NSA has collected millions of **** picks. I'm not buying this can't be tracked.
    Fine, if you want to sacrifice a right, then support the repeal or change of the Second Amendment. I'm perfectly good with this.

The NSA has collected millions of **** picks. I'm not buying this can't be tracked.

That's not what I'm suggesting. It's my opinion that as a responsible gun owner in an ever increasing anti gun environment, it's time to make some common sense concessions to avoid possibly repealing the second. Which will never happen.
    As a responsible internet user in an ever increasing anti-child ****, anti-privacy, anti-credit card theft environment, it's time to make some common sense concessions ...

You giving up your 30 round magazine will do nothing. Because the 30 round magazine is not the root cause. Kids didn't just start shooting up schools because now they have access to rapid fire weapons and can rack up a sweet kill score. Why didn't kids do it in the 60's with dad's Winchester Model 70 bolt action with a 4 round magazine?

No, something else has changed. Address that. Banning a rifle with 30 rounds is lazy. 300? people were killed by assault rifles last year. 8,000 were killed with handguns.
    As a responsible internet user in an ever increasing anti-child ****, anti-privacy, anti-credit card theft environment, it's time to make some common sense concessions ...

You giving up your 30 round magazine will do nothing. Because the 30 round magazine is not the root cause. Kids didn't just start shooting up schools because now they have access to rapid fire weapons and can rack up a sweet kill score. Why didn't kids do it in the 60's with dad's Winchester Model 70 bolt action with a 4 round magazine?

No, something else has changed. Address that. Banning a rifle with 30 rounds is lazy. 300? people were killed by assault rifles last year. 8,000 were killed with handguns.

Those high school kids will be voting soon. Wanna take a guess what their hot topic will be?
    MikeA wrote: »
    Those high school kids will be voting soon. Wanna take a guess what their hot topic will be?

I've stated before, I know it will happen. I've accepted that the political climate will shift and some of my guns will not be legal any longer. Nothing I can do about it.

I'm not giving up a **** thing and I'll vote that way. I'm just pointing out the cowardice and laziness of focusing on a piece of hardware, when the real issue is much, much deeper than that. Banning a firearm would be the feel-good vote of the century, and who wouldn't want their name on that bill? They will go down in history as having DONE something!

It's all horseshit. But I don't have an answer to fixing moral decay, so I'll just keep firing and reloading as long as I'm allowed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file