If Rubio gets this child tax credit thing done

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,288 Senior Member
    Ya know...everyone is getting a tax cut. So why are so many people against this? I suspect it has nothing to do with the bill, but has to do with Trump.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    Sure. Why not. Who is actually opposed to a few more dollars in their wallet?

tip toe softly cross the bridges----anybody payin the guards at the federal Pen?

But hey---your 4 dollars richer
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,721 Senior Member
    Because the tax cut most of us are getting, some are getting an increase, is a pittance compared to what we are giving away to the rich. The next step is to take away medicare and Medicaid, causing more expenses for the families that depend on those programs. Which is most of us with parents over 65.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Bushart wrote: »
    tip toe softly cross the bridges----anybody payin the guards at the federal Pen?

I just looked at one of the calculators. It will be about $1600 for like the next 10 years. Wooooooheeeeee...that's a good chunk of money to spend in the economy!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/17/upshot/tax-calculator.html
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,285 Senior Member
    He also changed the definition to not include those that were not looking for a job.

That was Clinton
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member

4 canadian dollars? I'm a middle class subcontractor. It'll be thousands for me in tax savings and major increased workload/profit due to the economic boom that has already started. It's not just trickling here, it's raining... money.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,820 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    4 canadian dollars? I'm a middle class subcontractor. It'll be thousands for me in tax savings and major increased workload/profit due to the economic boom that has already started. It's not just trickling here, it's raining... money.

Just keep in mind that you didn't build that... Therefore, you don't deserve to profit from it.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    Nobody trickles down on comedians? I have an opening on my spring crew if you are fit and have a good work ethic. I pay well!

Swizz, don't you dare offer him a job. The last thing we need in Colorado is ANOTHER bleeding heart liberal. We got waaaaay to many already.

That's a lot of new accessories for the jeep and more fishing equipment!!!!
    Sorry but you are giving the most to the people who will spend the least.
    Unless you're going to argue that the multiplier is zero, aggregate demand would still be stimulated in a Keynesian model (and since we're discussing multipliers, we're discussing Keynes) assuming the economy isn't at full employment.
    CO Native wrote: »
    Swizz, don't you dare offer him a job. The last thing we need in Colorado is ANOTHER bleeding heart liberal. We got waaaaay to many already.
    I could whip him into shape in a week or two.
    That's a lot of new accessories for the jeep and more fishing equipment!!!!
    Damned str8! More mining equip too!!
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,820 Senior Member
    Those jobs have not come back. Coal country is just as poor as ever.

Unemployment down in most all counties
    http://wvmetronews.com/2017/11/22/unemployment-down-in-most-all-counties/
    The next step is to take away medicare and Medicaid, causing more expenses for the families that depend on those programs.

Conjecture.
    MikeA wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that you didn't build that... Therefore, you don't deserve to profit from it.

LOL! This made me think of a business up here in the county that still has a large sign outside that says "Obama Did Not Build This".
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    All this celebration is great--hey everyone wants $$

But the end game is fewer gov't funded services---or run a deficit---the end

But the end game is fewer gov't funded services---or run a deficit---the end
    .... or growth exceeds deficit and America wins. Bigly.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,713 Senior Member
    Deficits only matter when the Republicans are not in charge.

That's a good point. I don't think you or most libs ever complained once when Obama brought it up over 8 trillion under his watch. But I'm glad you are so concerned now.
    --hey everyone wants $$

Correct. It's much better than energy credits.
    --or run a deficit---

And that's different than the past how?

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/021115/how-long-has-us-run-fiscal-deficits.asp
    Cripes, after this Golden Age we'll finally be able to buy Canada and connect Alaska. Good times ahead.
    jbilly wrote: »
    That's a good point. I don't think you or most libs ever complained once when Obama brought it up over 8 trillion under his watch. But I'm glad you are so concerned now.

Oh snap!
    jbilly wrote: »

Except he didn't, he reduced the deficit by half, Clinton left office with a surplus. Republicans consistently increase it, and then whine when the Democrats that follow them to clean up their mess do not decrease it fast enough.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Conjecture.

Conjecture based on statements made by the Speaker of the House.
    MikeA wrote: »

Unemployment has been down for the past 2 years. Tell me about all those coal jobs.
    Steven wrote: »
    Unless you're going to argue that the multiplier is zero, aggregate demand would still be stimulated in a Keynesian model (and since we're discussing multipliers, we're discussing Keynes) assuming the economy isn't at full employment.

The multipliers are in the upper 1%, wouldn't it be better to leave them where they are and lower taxes more on the lower 40%? Or even more Keynesian, let's raise corporate taxes to 90% give huge tax breaks to those that invest in new equipment and growing their companies, not buying back their stock and actually bring jobs from overseas. Then invest in our crumbling infrastructure and provide jobs for people in the construction industries.

Again Bloomberg does not agree that this will lead to growth or increased employment. I think he did better in economics than trickle downers.

No tax break in the world is going to change the fact that slave labor in China costs $2 a day.

I admit I am no economist, so I cannot speak your language. But I have been alive long enough to know an empty promise and a fantasy that has never been successful in my lifetime and has been the source of the weakening of the middle class when I hear one.
    Comic,

Why do you hate extra $$$ in your pocket?
    No tax break in the world is going to change the fact that slave labor in China costs $2 a day.

I'm thinking the corporate tax rate and labor force are two different subjects...
    Not if you are going to argue that tax breaks equal jobs.
    Are you waving goodbye to the individual mandate yet? I know my in-laws are.

The White House believes most Americans will begin seeing higher paychecks in February, once employers have adjusted the amount of money that is withheld from paychecks.

SAAAAAAWEEEEET!!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/gop-tax-bill-passes-congress-as-trump-prepares-to-sign-it-into-law/2017/12/20/0ba2fd98-e597-11e7-9ec2-518810e7d44d_story.html?utm_term=.2a05dee7bc98
    Comic,

Why do you hate extra $$$ in your pocket?

an extra $100 is not going to mean anything if the cost is the loss of Medicare and SS or my insurance doubles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file