How 'Bout that Matt Lauer?

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,037 Senior Member
NBC Fires Matt Lauer Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/business/media/nbc-matt-lauer.html

Matt freakin Lauer? Wow.

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,105 Senior Member
    More witch hunts.

Now a man is fired because of a random allegation? No proof, no investigation? This is beyond ridiculous now.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Matt Lauer? No way, he is a totally nice guy. This is a witch hunt. He will be cleared of these allegations I am sure, and I hope he sues NBC for wrongful termination.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    Salem 2017 continues...Make an allegation and someone gets burned at the stake.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    What if he admitted it to his employers? Is it still a witch hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Innocent until proven guilty.
    Not in 2017 **** it!!!

Evidence no longer needs to apply. All it takes is an allegation to destroy a career.
    This better not ruin my Christmas, and who the hell is going to cover the Thanksgiving Day Parade next year? Answer me that!
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,072 Senior Member
    More witch hunts.

Now a man is fired because of a random allegation? No proof, no investigation? This is beyond ridiculous now.

Pretty sure he admitted it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,959 Senior Member
    NBC News fired popular “Today” show host Matt Lauer after receiving what it called a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace, the network said on Wednesday.

NBC News chairman Andrew Lack said that, after serious review, the complaint received on Monday night represented “a clear violation” of the company’s standards.

“As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment,” Lack said in a statement. “While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident...”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-mattlauer/nbc-news-fires-today-co-host-matt-lauer-for-sexual-misconduct-idUSKBN1DT1NY

It rankles, though, that politicians are held to a different standard than the rest of us peons, even millionaire TV star peons. On Sunday's Meet the Press Pelosi made a big fuss about due process being important before rushing to judgement about Franken, Conyers and others in Congress accused of similar misdeeds.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Here is the thing, politicians work for the people and are rightfully removed by the ballot. In a way that is the only difference. I guarantee you if you put it to a vote to his fans, Matt Lauer would still be working.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,963 Senior Member
    Here is the thing, politicians work for the people and are rightfully removed by the ballot. In a way that is the only difference. I guarantee you if you put it to a vote to his fans, Matt Lauer would still be working.

agree. There's a process for removing an elected official, and its a great deal more onerous than firing a private employee.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,959 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    agree. There's a process for removing an elected official, and its a great deal more onerous than firing a private employee.

I didn't say she was wrong, just that it rankles; not as much as taxpayer money used for secret settlements, but it rankles nonetheless.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Pretty sure he admitted it.

He did? I can't find anything saying he did.
    Yeah I may have gotten that one wrong. I guess the judgement from his employers comes down to how credible the allegation is. I will say however seeing these accusations play their course in the work place, they have to be pretty damning before a decision like that would be made. It is not like Matt Lauer cannot afford a really good lawyer.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,947 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    Innocent until proven guilty.

Totally, right?
    "Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!"

Wait, am I doing this correctly?
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,003 Senior Member
    So where do they go from here. Can they never work in tv again? Will they be forced to wear a scarlet letter? How long are they exiled?
    MikeA wrote: »
    So where do they go from here. Can they never work in tv again? Will they be forced to wear a scarlet letter? How long are they exiled?

This is a good question. America has traditionally been great about giving people a second chance. We'll see if it applies in this situation. I think it may. To be clear I'm talking about adult/adult indiscretions here; not child molestation nor full-blown sexual assault/****. Not even the legitimate rapes. ;)
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,037 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »

His goose is cooked. C-O-O-K-E-D. Different indiscretions, but do you see/hear much of Dan Rather or Brian Wiiliams?
    GMB,
    True, but they were considered newsmen and as such they broke their contract with the public and fellow journalists. Matt Lauer is just a morning mascot. We'll see.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,249 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Totally, right?
    "Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!"

Wait, am I doing this correctly?

Ok, that made me laugh
    Is there such a thing as cankle cuffs?
    swizz wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as cankle cuffs?
    Ha, ha!!!!

Oh, the horror of that imagery...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,714 Senior Member
    How 'bout that fake news the networks are peddling?
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    He did? I can't find anything saying he did.

He just admitted it. Said some of what he was accused with wasn't true or mischaracterized, but plenty enough was true.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,963 Senior Member
    How about instead of the much-ridiculed Pence rule, we institute the pants rule? All male employees are required to keep their pants on around female employees. This doesn't seem overly burdensome to me.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,003 Senior Member
    How about instead of the much-ridiculed Pence rule, we institute the pants rule? All male employees are required to keep their pants on around female employees. This doesn't seem overly burdensome to me.

To decent folk, it's just how it's supposed to be. To the other half it's a perk of having power. I wonder how many female execs have taken advantage of male staff. One thing for sure, if she's hot, we'll never know. Just ask the pool boy.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member

Is this just in the workplace? Uhmmm...asking for a friend.
    Anybody heard from Brian D. lately?
    Yeah he posts on Facebook now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.