The Pocahontas Reference

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,044 Senior Member
Given all that has come to pass I should not be surprised or dismayed with President Trump's reference to Sen. Warren as "Pocahantas" during the ceremony at the WH honoring WW2 Navajo code talkers, but I am. I get it that it is legitimate to call Warren out on her apparent claim of Native American heritage in order to bolster her chances of success on some sort of application she made in the past. That is fine, but doing so at a ceremony honoring WW2 vets seems totally inappropriate and unnecessary. It was not a political event and shouldn't have been turned into one. Then, of course, is his use of the label "Pocahantas" in referring to Warren. Totally uncouth in any circumstances and especially so when standing next to Native Americans! I don't see how anyone can look up to the man.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,979 Senior Member
    I look up to him for his amazing ability to saddle someone with a nickname. And they stick.

Clinton probably had a team of millennials working night and day to come up with witticisms to describe the Donald and he's still better than anybody else at it.
    And you know he puts zero thought or effort into it. They just come to him, like Manna from heaven. Little Marco, Lyin' Ted, Crooked Hillary, the list goes on.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,092 Senior Member
    Given all that has come to pass I should not be surprised or dismayed with President Trump's reference to Sen. Warren as "Pocahantas" during the ceremony at the WH honoring WW2 Navajo code talkers, but I am. I get it that it is legitimate to call Warren out on her apparent claim of Native American heritage in order to bolster her chances of success on some sort of application she made in the past. That is fine, but doing so at a ceremony honoring WW2 vets seems totally inappropriate and unnecessary. It was not a political event and shouldn't have been turned into one. Then, of course, is his use of the label "Pocahantas" in referring to Warren. Totally uncouth in any circumstances and especially so when standing next to Native Americans! I don't see how anyone can look up to the man.

If I had a dollar for every whiter than white idiot that claimed to be 1/64th Cherokee, I would be a rich man.

Trump thought he was being funny and sharing a moment with those men. Awkward and classless are his super powers.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    And you know he puts zero thought or effort into it. They just come to him, like Manna from heaven. Little Marco, Lyin' Ted, Crooked Hillary, the list goes on.

Yeah, sure, he is good at coming up with witty nicknames. But there is a time and place for using them and the ceremony was not such a time or place.

I hereby name him "Trump the Chump."
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,115 Senior Member
    Lol.

Everyone is so serious these days...just hoping to be offended. Sherb is correct though...He ran on a platform of anti-political correctness and it works.

I'm decorating my house with snowflakes this year!!!
    Since you are the biggest snowflake of all, you will fit right in.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Since you are the biggest snowflake of all, you will fit right in.

Nope. Look in the mirror my friend.
    Sea+Cucumber.jpeg

Is this what you see in the mirror?
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,515 Senior Member
    He busts balls. That's what he does.

It doesn't matter where or when, and it worked big time. He's the President of the United States; that's pretty positive reinforcement.
    Is this what you see in the mirror?

No. I see a handsome young man. At least that's what all of the ladies tell me.

But lets be serious for a moment here....The media reaction is wildly out of proportion to the mild offense.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,024 Senior Member
    I thought it was an inappropriate time for the name calling as well, but it’s who he is, and let’s face it, he isn’t throwing the first stone here. These easily offended folks seem oblivious to the constant barrage of insults hurled at Trump and family. I thank god daily that it’s his name calling that’s making news and not some sour **** lady telling us all is lost in America, and those jobs that fled the country for slave labor aren’t ever coming back. Deplorable people should suck it up, illegal immigration is good for the country, blah, blah, blah. There's a new positive energy flowing through the country and it’s been a welcome change. Still glad I voted for the guy.
    No. I see a handsome young man. At least that's what all of the ladies tell me.

Bubba-J.png
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,965 Senior Member
    I look up to him for his amazing ability to saddle someone with a nickname. And they stick.

Clinton probably had a team of millennials working night and day to come up with witticisms to describe the Donald and he's still better than anybody else at it.

And they were as lame as the rest of her campaign staff. In the last 12 seconds I thought of Dufus Donald and Donny ****. It took longer to input than to come up with them.

BTW - Here is the "official" White House response: https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/pocahontas-not-a-racial-slur-says-prominent-white-expert?mbid=nl_Borowitz%20112817&CNDID=11351118&spMailingID=12454905&spUserID=MTMzMTc5NTUzMDA1S0&spJobID=1282579237&spReportId=MTI4MjU3OTIzNwS2&reload=true
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    When I saw him speaking at the ceremony on the news sat night I looked at the Navajo vets standing there with him and thought "what a **** **** we have for a President." Zero class. I had become inured to his style but for some reason his performance at the ceremony pushed a button with me. I don't agree with his positions on policy issues, but can handle that--whatever--the tide comes in, the tide goes out. His style, or more accurately, lack of style is what really torques me. I'll guess I'll just have re-inure myself, but it is tough.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    I didn't care that he came up with these names during his campaign, it riled up the base and it worked him. However, this time he did it right in front of Native American people he was trying to honor. A real misguided attempt at humor. In addition, and frankly I don't care but he happened to do all this under the painting of Andrew Jackson. Trail of Tears and all that.

I'm sure we'll look back on this and laugh, right?

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,956 Senior Member
    I didn't care that he came up with these names during his campaign, it riled up the base and it worked him. However, this time he did it right in front of Native American people he was trying to honor. A real misguided attempt at humor. In addition, and frankly I don't care but he happened to do all this under the painting of Andrew Jackson. Trail of Tears and all that.

^^^This.

The Pocahontas nickname is pretty funny but in that time & place? In front of Native Americans at a ceremony to honor their service? Holy ****!

Maybe he'll make a reference to Leroy sticking up a gas station at the black history month ceremony? I mean, with that much hope and positivity radiating from the guy, I would expect no less.

I'm sure we'll look back on this and laugh, right?

I'm laughing now! 😄😄😄

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,962 Senior Member
    the Andrew Jackson part HAD to be planned, yes?

you can't just do that **** by accident
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Yea, isn't he is the founder of the Democratic Party? Why would he be there.

You are kidding right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

It's OK when it's not Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0kQ39COKew

You do get he is making fun of Trump there, right? Or is that too difficult?
    MikeA wrote: »
    I thought it was an inappropriate time for the name calling as well, but it’s who he is, and let’s face it, he isn’t throwing the first stone here. These easily offended folks seem oblivious to the constant barrage of insults hurled at Trump and family. I thank god daily that it’s his name calling that’s making news and not some sour **** lady telling us all is lost in America, and those jobs that fled the country for slave labor aren’t ever coming back. Deplorable people should suck it up, illegal immigration is good for the country, blah, blah, blah. There's a new positive energy flowing through the country and it’s been a welcome change. Still glad I voted for the guy.

c685a57c7d7d455d3fc0e70b1d3b8917--liberal-politics-good-things.jpg
    You do get he is making fun of Trump there, right? Or is that too difficult?

Lol. You are a goofy.
    Some things are tough for sea cucumbers to understand I guess.
    tim_s wrote: »
    the Andrew Jackson part HAD to be planned, yes?

you can't just do that **** by accident

You're kidding right? You think anyone in the Trump administration even knows who Andrew Jackson is? They don't think like that.

Trump shouldn't have made the Pocahontas crack, but c'mon with the Andrew Jackson nonsense.
    You're kidding right? You think anyone in the Trump administration even knows who Andrew Jackson is? They don't think like that.

Trump shouldn't have made the Pocahontas crack, but c'mon with the Andrew Jackson nonsense.

If he didn't know, does that make it less or more of a problem?
    If he didn't know, does that make it less or more of a problem?

Less. The implication was that "it was no accident." When it obviously was not given a single thought. So in fact, it WAS an accident.

Stupid, anyway. Navajo aren't Cherokee.
    Navajo aren't Cherokee.

And neither is Elizabeth Warren. :)
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,965 Senior Member
    Two people above need to get a room, or move their lovefest to PMs.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.