Home The Lodge

A Baseball Conundrum

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 10,524 Senior Member
I expect little sympathy from the heathens among you, but here it is: I'm a life-long Yankees fan, but growing up in Brooklyn the Dodgers always were my second favorite team; that is until that slithering reptile Walter O'Malley (may he rot in Hell for all Eternity) defiled all that was holy and abandoned us after the 1957 season. I was 13 at the time and heartbroken. The sense of betrayal remains with me to this day even though I am a few years past my three score and ten.

I will watch the World Series, but with a sense of confused and somewhat angry indifference.

p.s. How 'bout them Red Sox?
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    I have the Dodgers in 6. Would like to see a 7-game series, though.

Also, another prediction: At some point, Trump will attack Yasiel Puig using twitter.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,242 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    I expect little sympathy from the heathens among you, but here it is: I'm a life-long Yankees fan, but growing up in Brooklyn the Dodgers always were my second favorite team; that is until that slithering reptile Walter O'Malley (may he rot in Hell for all Eternity) defiled all that was holy and abandoned us after the 1957 season. I was 13 at the time and heartbroken. The sense of betrayal remains with me to this day even though I am a few years past my three score and ten.

First, this is hard to process. You grew up in Brooklyn, yet you were a Yankees fan? How in the hell was that allowed to happen? My mother wouldn't date a boy who was a Yankees fan.

Second, you should be a Mets fan now.

Third, we moved from New York to Los Angeles in 1969. My father still hasn't forgiven the Dodgers.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,524 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    First, this is hard to process. You grew up in Brooklyn, yet you were a Yankees fan? How in the hell was that allowed to happen? My mother wouldn't date a boy who was a Yankees fan.

Second, you should be a Mets fan now.

Third, we moved from New York to Los Angeles in 1969. My father still hasn't forgiven the Dodgers.

Yeah. I know. But my father grew up in "the city". He and all my uncles were Yankee fans and I guess I picked it up from them. I pitched and played outfield in Little League, my idols were Mickey Mantle, Duke Snider, Whitey Ford, and Don Newcombe. Aside from hero worshiping Willie Mays, the Giants never appealed to me, and I never could get enthusiastic about the Mets although I saw a lot of their games as an adult. Between my Army conscription time and the Foreign Service I worked in merchandising as an assistant buyer, later a buyer, starting with Stern's, jumping to Macy's then returning to Stern's for a nice raise and promotion. None of my vendors had seats at Yankee stadium, but several regularly let me use seats in their season boxes at Shea. I was dating an Australian girl at the time who loved baseball, so I saw many games there.
    My first sports memory is watching the '69 Mets with my father and uncles.

I went to Shea once as an adult, back in the '80s when I lived in NYC. Absolutely horrible stadium.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Steven,
    Sounds like your mother was a classy and intelligent lady!

Also, over the past couple of years I think I may hate the Red Sox just as much as the Yankees. Perhaps even more? They can both go to hell.

Go Dodgers! Win one for real baseball!
    I do miss her. If I heard a good dirty joke, I'd call her immediately. (Never my dad)
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member
    This whole Yankee-Red Sox thing highlights how Westerners feel about Eastern Elites! They (Eastern Metrosexuals) think their teams should have a privileged spot in the World Series, or something. And Californians didn't deserve a team? Lay the problem on the stone age mentality of the owners at the time, not wanting expansion. Oh, and the Green Monster is a travesty. (not that I don't hate the Dodgers now also.)
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,524 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    This whole Yankee-Red Sox thing highlights how Westerners feel about Eastern Elites! They (Eastern Metrosexuals) think their teams should have a privileged spot in the World Series, or something. And Californians didn't deserve a team? Lay the problem on the stone age mentality of the owners at the time, not wanting expansion. Oh, and the Green Monster is a travesty. (not that I don't hate the Dodgers now also.)

Get back to us when your favorite western teams move to Hawaii or Mexico. :)

Oh, and speaking of geographic sexuality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrv7XvYryTA&list=RDWrv7XvYryTA :rolleyes:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement