Lets talk about DACA

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 4,375 Senior Member
Is Trump right, or was Obama?

Discuss.

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    The only reason Trump rescinded DACA was it was part of Obama's legacy and would appeal to his base. I watched a clip form 2011 of him saying the children needed protection. By giving Congress 6 months to fix it, he's dumped it all in their lap..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,812 Senior Member
    This was the best solution.

Nine governors, including the governor of Texas, had threatened to file a lawsuit on September 5th in an unfriendly (to Obama-era policies) Texas Court. DACA was likely a goner.

So if it was going to go away anyway, Trump might as well get some props from his base. Meanwhile, a 6-month delay pushes it on Congress, with a deadline, and may ultimately save it.

Pretty slick solution.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,375 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    The only reason Trump rescinded DACA was it was part of Obama's legacy and would appeal to his base. I watched a clip form 2011 of him saying the children needed protection. By giving Congress 6 months to fix it, he's dumped it all in their lap..

Which is where it properly belongs. Obama himself said that he didn't have the authority to implement DACA, right up until he did it.

Not that I have any confidence that Congress will fix it.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    I hate to say it but Trump's position is appropriate. This is an issue that really should be addressed by Congress as opposed to via an Executive Branch enforcement policy. It is a tough call for me because the knuckleheads in Congress have not had the moxie to address the issue (much less the question of what to do with the 20+/- million people in the country illegally). For a number of reasons, including basic human decency, Congress should let the dreamers stay.

According to this article it is in the Rs' political interests to do the right thing: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/349332-gop-fears-damage-from-trumps-move-on-daca

We'll see.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

Not that I have any confidence that Congress will fix it.

By 'fix it' do you mean comprehensive immigration reform, or are you stating that in terms of DACA only?
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    By 'fix it' do you mean comprehensive immigration reform, or are you stating that in terms of DACA only?

Primarily DACA. I think comprehensive immigration reform is too tough a sell. Just fixing DACA will be hard enough, and that's WITH the president supporting a legislative fix and not really all that interested in deporting anyone. Trump backed himself into a rhetorical corner with all the tough campaign talk and now he's hoping Congress will find a way to let him out of it.
    Well, it seems most agree that the legislative process in indeed the way to go. Look, I think what Trump did comes not from a place of constitutionality or even political calculation as Steven implied, but of cruelty. It was a bombastic campaign promise (much like the wall) that produced cheers from his crowds and hence became a policy plank.

So, what exactly is Congress actually going to do? I think the DREAMers have broad political support. I mean, it makes no sense to deport someone who has known no other country, right? I've been really put off by politics as a sport since Trump was elected but this issue intrigues me in that sense. Will Republicans in Congress do the right thing or once again be afraid of a far-right primary challenger?
    Well if the debt ceiling negotiations are any indication, I'm guessing Trump work it out with the democrats and the GOP will be along for the ride:)
    sherb wrote: »
    Well if the debt ceiling negotiations are any indication, I'm guessing Trump work it out with the democrats and the GOP will be along for the ride:)

I know, so bizarre! Also his tweets saying that if Congress doesn't act on DACA w/in 6 months then he will "re-visit the issue"? **** is that about?
    It's pretty simple, actually. He doesn't want to deport anyone and hopes he won't have to.
    I don't think even he knows what the hell he wants.

Why send Sessions out there (bigly opposed to DACA) to announce and then back-track with that tweet like 12 hours later? I know we're trying to make sense of the non-sensical but if he truly believes what you say (and he might I suppose) then why not craft the original statement in a much different way? Sessions' remarks talked about executive overreach and the separation of powers but in no way did he intimate that the administration is in favor of a DACA-like solution.

Why not say 'We're in favor of comprehensive immigration reform because jerbs. We also think people who have lived the majority of their lives here should be given some path towards citizenship if they aren't bad hombres. Jerb, jerbs, dog-whistle some racism for the base.' ?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,752 Senior Member
    Here is my take on it. I grew up in Southern California. Undocumented workers have always been a part of the community. They have never bothered me one bit. Economies thrive and economies falter and it has never been the fault of undocumented workers. Some of these people run their own businesses, and are job creators. It is an issue that harms no one.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,130 Senior Member
    Dreamers should stay. They were raised American and America is all they know. Congress needs to vote, and those afraid of the political fringes need to take a chance on not being here next term. Do the right thing as far a DACA.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.