The kid did ok

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,734 Senior Member
    Corn Tourism.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,414 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Boxing is cool but almost dead. I've never watched much MMA unless it happened to be on TV at Buffalo Wild Wings or wherever. The fights seem to quickly devolve into some guy in a headlock getting his brain bashed in by the other dude's fist. Too much machismo BS for me. And if Sherb doesn't like me expressing my opinion he can fight me! ;)

How they got on the ground is cool. What happens on the ground to get to the position you describe is cool.

I used to hate MMA. The "striking" was (as we just saw) sub par compared to boxing, kicking was for girls, and whatever they were doing on the ground was too homoerotic for words. It wasn't until I could understand what was going on on the ground, that I became a fan. I'm now OK with the kicking, but the striking remains sub par.
    Corn Tourism.

The soy bean lobby called, and it's pissed.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,383 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    First in with "He doesn't watch that either."
    No baseball for me. I totally get it...played it myself and watched my kids play it. Loved watching my kids play and enjoyed it myself. Just could never get into watching it on TV.

Watch a lot of Packers football...use to spend and entire Sunday watching 9 hours of football but don't do that anymore. Usually out grouse hunting instead.

My extent of basketball is watching a few March Madness games if WI is in the running.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Steven,
    If you wanted to see a Cubs game, how far of a drive would that be for you to get back to northern Chicago?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,383 Senior Member
    This seems to be the new form of internet cool: commenting about something you supposedly have no interest in. Just to show how uninterested you are.

If you look back at my post I said..."help me out here...cuz I don't get it."

Which means I was trying to understand the draw to the sport of boxing.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    Define regularly.

Wait a week more buffster---there's an "R" in da month
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,711 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    We can visit Adele. Plenty of farm animals there.

There's a fire starting in my heart
    I've been to Chicago, Montreal, Indianapolis, Detroit, Denver, Houston, D.C., Staten Island, Philly, ..... I'm cultured AF.
    Steven,
    If you wanted to see a Cubs game, how far of a drive would that be for you to get back to northern Chicago?

It's about a 5 1/2 hour drive to Chicago with a stop for gas and food. Clear sailing until you hit Oak Park and then it's anybody's guess.
    I've been to Chicago, Montreal, Indianapolis, Detroit, Denver, Houston, D.C., Staten Island, Philly, ..... I'm cultured AF.

La Guardia is on Long Island.
    La Guardia is on Long Island.

****, I meant Long Island. I've been on an Impractical Jokers binge.

How the hell did you remember I went there?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,954 Senior Member
    La Guardia is on Long Island.[/QUOTE

Technically yes, but Brooklyn (AKA King's County) and Queens (AKA Queen's County) ain't "the Island". :)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Yeah, I should have said Queens.
    ****, I meant Long Island. I've been on an Impractical Jokers binge.

How the hell did you remember I went there?

When you come, you can binge watch with the shiksa queen. I find it too cringy.

I didn't remember, but the only reason you'd say you were in a borough but not Manhattan would be if it were a stopover. There's no airport on Staten Island.

Since you didn't mention international - except for Montreal - it made sense that the stop over was at La Guardia rather than JFK.

I trust you did not frequent those best in the world Montreal Strip joints
    I had no idea that you were that far out from Chicago. Culturally, yeah, but I thought you were maybe a 3-hour drive at best.

Buffy, I'm jealous that you have been to Montreal. I really want to go some day.
    I had no idea that you were that far out from Chicago. Culturally, yeah, but I thought you were maybe a 3-hour drive at best.

Buffy, I'm jealous that you have been to Montreal. I really want to go some day.

Lap dances play Stairway to heaven....just sayin (Look up the time if it's not allowed in Utah:) )
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member
    The horror, who could afford that boring song for a lapper? Nobody gets a buck until they play 'Hot For Teacher' or 'Cherry Pie'!
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    swizz wrote: »
    Nobody gets a buck until they play 'Hot For Teacher' or 'Cherry Pie'!

This absolutely needs to be on a t-shirt.
    When you come, you can binge watch with the shiksa queen. I find it too cringy.

I didn't remember, but the only reason you'd say you were in a borough but not Manhattan would be if it were a stopover. There's no airport on Staten Island.

Since you didn't mention international - except for Montreal - it made sense that the stop over was at La Guardia rather than JFK.

Gotcha. Those were two separate trips. Dad took me lake trout fishing at some lake 800 miles north of Montreal when I was 16.

The NY trip was two years ago. Landed at La Guardia but my destination was on Lawn Guyland. Fellow distributor. I never got to go into the city.

EDIT: it may have been JFK. I can't remember. I was going to Nassau County.

It was 20 years ago, and we only stayed one night there. But I remember the coolest bar I've ever seen and the most gorgeous women in the world serving drinks. Place was huge.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,912 Senior Member
    How they got on the ground is cool. What happens on the ground to get to the position you describe is cool.

I used to hate MMA. The "striking" was (as we just saw) sub par compared to boxing, kicking was for girls, and whatever they were doing on the ground was too homoerotic for words. It wasn't until I could understand what was going on on the ground, that I became a fan. I'm now OK with the kicking, but the striking remains sub par.

Oddly enough, it is the shortness of these bouts that leads me to believe it is actually less brutal. It seems that get a man in a submission hold is much less barbaric than beating a man's brains in. The Kim Duk-Koo v Boom Boom Mancini fight is the reason why I stopped watching boxing and would not be bothered if we outlawed the sport.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    You should come visit Des Moines. We could wrestle around on the floor while wearing pajamas.

When I first got to Holloman, there was a guy that would later be my best friend who was his state's HS wrestling champ for his weight class. For some reason he thought I said I was a wrestler, drinking was involved, and the next thing I know there is this little guy standing there in his tighty whities looking at me asking, "Do you want to wrestle." It was hysterical.

BTW that state was Texas.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Go during the Comedy Festival, a guaranteed good time.

It's the perfect three day weekend. Love Montreal.
    Oddly enough, it is the shortness of these bouts that leads me to believe it is actually less brutal. It seems that get a man in a submission hold is much less barbaric than beating a man's brains in. The Kim Duk-Koo v Boom Boom Mancini fight is the reason why I stopped watching boxing and would not be bothered if we outlawed the sport.

The Duk Koo Kim fight should never have happened. Kim's fight record was falsified.

The two fights between Mancini and Livingston Bramble were truly epic.
    But if you were the referee in that fight, at what point would you have stopped it? The kid kept getting up and he seemed fine.

It just caused me to look at it differently. I mean the objective is not to get the ball across a line, into a goal, or over a fence. It is to he hit a man until his brain shuts down. That is the sole purpose. It just makes it seem like we are not that far removed from the Romans.

I guess with the revelations on brain injury in Football, I could be called a hypocrite. Perhaps a generation after ours they may talk of banning Football. Progress I guess.
    Richard Greene came close many times, but Kim always managed to come back despite the beating.

Rocky isn't the real world. His corner should have stopped it. Even though Kim was somehow surviving, he was in no way competitive while taking a beating.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,379 Senior Member

FYI: I hung a heavy punching bag in my garage. That is a hell of a workout.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file