A Somewhat Honest Question

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,692 Senior Member
Why is it that on this site and elsewhere the traitor and former colonel in the Army of the United States, Robt. Edward Lee is called "General Lee"? After all, we do not refer to that other traitor, General Benedict Arnold, as "Field Marshall Arnold"?

Can some kind soul here please explain this to me.

p.s. "Some people" are saying that a certain pig farmer in Georgia has yuuge bronze statues of these two former soldiers overlooking his pens. Could this possibly be true?
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    He was not a traitor to his home State of Virginia.

He was a General. An outstanding one at that. Not to mention an honorable, humble, intelligent man.

"We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing."

"I tremble for my country when I hear of confidence expressed in me. I know too well my weakness, that our only hope is in God."

"Don't bring up your sons to detest the United States... Recollect that we form one country now. Abandon all these local animosities, and make your sons Americans."

"I am rejoiced that slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interests of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this, as regards Virginia especially, that I would cheerfully have lost all I have lost by the war, and have suffered all I have suffered, to have this object attained."
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,311 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

"I tremble for my country when I hear of confidence expressed in me. I know too well my weakness, that our only hope is in God."

Are you sure that is not Washington?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 912 Senior Member
    Are you sure that is not Washington?

You might be thinking of Jefferson.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever."
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,692 Senior Member
    He was not a traitor to his home State of Virinia."

So, if I were to join ISIS and plant bombs around the United States, or spy for Russia and North Korea it would be honorable as long as I did not not practice my craft in my native state of New York?

Asking for a friend.
    Loyalty to State first, then Country. Your scenario violates the second.
    That does not make him any less of a traitor to his country.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,633 Senior Member

What’s with all this his country crap. We all know this land was stolen from it’s rightful owners by the white man who then systematically tried to erase them from the face of the earth. Down with all of these racist statues of genocidal maniacs.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,557 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    What’s with all this his country crap. We all know this land was stolen from it’s rightful owners by the white man who then systematically tried to erase them from the face of the earth. Down with all of these racist statues of genocidal maniacs.

I don't see what you're getting at here.

As defined by 2017 21st century viewpoints, sure.
    sherb wrote: »
    I don't see what you're getting at here.
    I’m being facetious Sherb but give it time. I seriously doubt that these folks are going to stop at the late 1800’s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/md-senate-president-slams-hogan-for-fast-vote-to-remove-taney-statue/2017/08/17/41833b12-8390-11e7-ab27-1a21a8e006ab_story.html?utm_term=.589e4e8e4927
    As defined by 2017 21st century viewpoints, sure.

No, those states ratified a constitution and then violated that constitution and tried to destroy the Republic. In fact they fired the first shots.

Honestly, I think this movement has a very limited shelf life. Pulling down the monuments is unpopular and elected officials tend to have better instincts for this type of thing than journalists. Once it starts costing them votes, it will end. Right now, removing the monuments is popular because the **** want them (Next flashpoint: Lexington Ky) and public officials cannot kowtow to ****. Once it spreads beyond that, its going to become unpopular fairly quickly.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,941 Senior Member

So easy for people to become offended these days. Especially by a statue. Unreal.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,426 Senior Member
    So easy for people to become offended these days. Especially by a statue. Unreal.

If only the same energy was put into real life homeless people living in an alley as some cast guy sittin on a horse perchin the pigeons
    Bushart wrote: »
    If only the same energy was put into real life homeless people living in an alley as some cast guy sittin on a horse perchin the pigeons
    Right?!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,576 Senior Member
    Oh look, now the conservatives want to help the poor & homeless people! Lol
    And if I come across as snarky I've been awake for 26 hours straight and have to sit in an uncomfortable airport chair for the next hour while watching fat-**** Chicogoans parade around in their World Series Championship hats and t-shirts.
    And my goddamned back hurts.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    And if I come across as snarky I've been awake for 26 hours straight and have to sit in an uncomfortable airport chair for the next hour while watching fat-**** Chicogoans parade around in their World Series Championship hats and t-shirts.
    And my goddamned back hurts.

Yeah those Mormon indoctrination's can get rough :rolleyes:
    Honestly, I think this movement has a very limited shelf life. Pulling down the monuments is unpopular and elected officials tend to have better instincts for this type of thing than journalists. Once it starts costing them votes, it will end. Right now, removing the monuments is popular because the **** want them (Next flashpoint: Lexington Ky) and public officials cannot kowtow to ****. Once it spreads beyond that, its going to become unpopular fairly quickly.

I'm not sure I would bank on any of them being left in the long term.

Abraham_Lincoln_Chicago_c0-28-640-401_s561x327.jpg?32465b5dd35a3b44e3ef6129f5029822dfa3fc78

Abraham Lincoln has joined George Washington on the list of those targeted by Chicagoans in a national debate over Civil War-era monuments.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/17/abraham-lincoln-monument-torched-in-chicago-an-abs/
    Bushart wrote: »
    Yeah those Mormon indoctrination's can get rough :rolleyes:

I will cut you.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    Loyalty to State first, then Country.
    Then we have to rename the Country. How about The Loosely Affiliated States of America?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    Then we have to rename the Country. How about The Loosely Affiliated States of America?

hmmmm. . .English is such a poetic language. . .there must be a word that fits here. . . confederation, perhaps? :)
    Then we have to rename the Country. How about The Offended States of America?

Corrected for accuracy.
    Loyalty to State first, then Country. Your scenario violates the second.

But leading a rebellion resulting in hundreds of thousands of dead and wounded does not. Hmmmmm?
    hmmmm. . .English is such a poetic language. . .there must be a word that fits here. . . confederation, perhaps? :)

I always knew you were a reactionary at heart. :) All the way back to 1777!

I'm explaining that was the sentiment at the time. The war obviously changed all that. Now it's central gov't.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I will cut you.

Ha!..."You cannot hurt me...my wings are like a shield of steel"
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,436 Senior Member
    One thing you guys are missing here: Robert Edward Lee is NOT a good name for a car, but the "General Lee" just sort of rolls off the tongue. ;-)
    American Carnage, eh Buffy? ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.