This is a must-see

2»

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,743 Senior Member
    The end goal of the **** Party is genocide. How are we to be tolerant of such speech? That is a ludicrous proposition. Some speech is so beyond the pale of cultural norms, that society must as a whole reject it. The **** should be given no quarter to flourish.

What's a ludicrous proposition? The law? Call your Congressman.

How are we to be tolerant, you ask? You tolerate it by allowing free speech and offering police protection so long as the speech is peaceful.

But there are important principles at stake here, and liberals shouldn't assume that the suppression of "hate speech" will advance liberal goals. As the ACLU points out, historically the suppression of unpopular ideas tends to fall most heavily on marginalized groups. Why would you grant the police that sort of power? Do you think the police will stop at ****, or will they go after Black Lives Matter?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,902 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    So I would have thought this was a loser for Trump, but as it happens, it isn't. Because leftists decided to burn American flags, film themselves doing it, and throw urine-filled bottles at cops.

And then last night, someone vandalized a statue of Christopher Columbus. And filmed it.

Never, ever, ever underestimate the ability of liberals to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

We conservatives aren't too shabby at doing it as well.
    Buffco wrote: »
    We conservatives aren't too shabby at doing it as well.

I took that as a given. My point was that the Dems have been handled a golden opportunity to (1) go on the offensive (2) Sista Souljah all those weirdo leftists burning flags. . .and they will manage to screw it up.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,849 Senior Member
    I took that as a given. My point was that the Dems have been handled a golden opportunity to (1) go on the offensive (2) Sista Souljah all those weirdo leftists burning flags. . .and they will manage to screw it up.

Unfortunately I have too many times in my life witness....give somebody an option to exercise their right to do something (whether it actually benefits them or not)---they always take it (it's their power)

The only conclusion I can make---it's a flaw in human nature
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,294 Senior Member
    What's a ludicrous proposition? The law? Call your Congressman.

No that we must tolerate hate speech.

Sure the law can allow it, but the public does not have to tolerate it and nowhere have I said that the police have to stop them. The public can and must confront it. If the nutjobs carry clubs and shields and shout violent epithets they cannot complain when they are confronted by anger or violence. In point of fact they invited it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,294 Senior Member
    So I would have thought this was a loser for Trump, but as it happens, it isn't. Because leftists decided to burn American flags, film themselves doing it, and throw urine-filled bottles at cops.

And then last night, someone vandalized a statue of Christopher Columbus. And filmed it.

Never, ever, ever underestimate the ability of liberals to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Any Democratic officials support them? Your moral equivalency falls short when the **** have the tacit support of the POTUS.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,969 Senior Member
    It's not moral equivalency. Sherb didn't even object to the flag burning. It does more harm than good when the leftist nuts do brain dead things. It's dumb. It's bad optics.
    Terrrible God-awful optics.
    And also, there's no moral equivalency here. **** are terrible. Full stop.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.