Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,714 Senior Member
    What you permit, you promote.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,797 Senior Member
    It's free speech. Just like Skokie.

Growing up in the PNW, I was always around Neo-****, but their numbers were small-tiny even, usually no more than 15-20 people. This is something different.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,351 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

I hate Illinois ****.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 982 Senior Member

Wow. Really hard to believe. This is 2017, not 1964 for cripes sake.

One thing I will say though, and this is a little odd, but Corporate America gets it--it wants nothing to do with those people. That gives me hope that those losers are heading for the ash heap of history.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,799 Senior Member
    Wow. Really hard to believe. This is 2017, not 1964 for cripes sake.

One thing I will say though, and this is a little odd, but Corporate America gets it--it wants nothing to do with those people. That gives me hope that those losers are heading for the ash heap of history.

For the life of me I can't understand how anyone doesn't 'get it.' F***ing ****, man. We're talking about f***ing ****.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't understand how anyone doesn't 'get it.' F***ing ****, man. We're talking about f***ing ****.

Seriously. Really pisses me off.

But, I always try to look at the bright side of things. The fact that Corporate America is providing moral leadership in the absence of such leadership from the President gives me some hope.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,857 Senior Member
    ****. That's Disturbing.
    MikeA wrote: »
    ****. That's Disturbing.

Yeah, you're not kidding. A real punch in the gut of a video.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,955 Senior Member
    People are crazy today.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Growing up in the PNW, I was always around Neo-****, but their numbers were small-tiny even, usually no more than 15-20 people. This is something different.

Some speech should be confronted. You still cannot shout fire in a crowded theater. These pigs were calling for violence. Blood and Soil is not a children's poem.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Some speech should be confronted. You still cannot shout fire in a crowded theater. These pigs were calling for violence. Blood and Soil is not a children's poem.

You can shout fire if there's a fire.

But more to the point, Schenk is probably not good law at this point. The paradox of free speech is that legal protections for free speech have grown stronger while the culture has grown less tolerant of it.

They've been on the ash heap before, blasted out of existence. And they're back. I'm glad to see someone stood up for American values. I wish it had been the President. But I am not confident that they will go away.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,506 Senior Member
    The only reason they are making the comeback is because of social media. I firmly believe that whenever they march, if everyone would just stay away, let them walk through empty streets, they would give up. They know that they'll get a rise out of people and that's what they want.
    You can spew all the hate you want, but if there is no one there to listen, they might as well be marching in a field in the middle of Kansas.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    as disturbing as this video is, i kinda laughed at the dueling "white lives matter" vs "black lives matter" chants

kind of like tastes great/less filling
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    matthew heimbach can sling the **** lol
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    You can shout fire if there's a fire.

But more to the point, Schenk is probably not good law at this point. The paradox of free speech is that legal protections for free speech have grown stronger while the culture has grown less tolerant of it.

Free speech does not require tolerance. Only legal protection. No one wants them arrested for their speech, only their actions. However calling for the death of fellow citizens, should get some legal scrutiny.
    Free speech does not require tolerance. Only legal protection. No one wants them arrested for their speech, only their actions. However calling for the death of fellow citizens, should get some legal scrutiny.

Unless it's the President of the United States
    Eh, only if its a white President of the United States. Or in theory, a Republican person-of-color POTUS.
    Free speech does not require tolerance. Only legal protection.

That's not true. Politics is downstream of the culture. Legal protections buttress cultural norms, and cultural norms lead to formal legal protections. Can't have one without the other.
    No one wants them arrested for their speech, only their actions. However calling for the death of fellow citizens, should get some legal scrutiny.

Yeah, unless the threat is imminent, like an assault, I can't really go there with you.
    That's not true. Politics is downstream of the culture. Legal protections buttress cultural norms, and cultural norms lead to formal legal protections. Can't have one without the other.

Yeah, unless the threat is imminent, like an assault, I can't really go there with you.

The end goal of the **** Party is genocide. How are we to be tolerant of such speech? That is a ludicrous proposition. Some speech is so beyond the pale of cultural norms, that society must as a whole reject it. The **** should be given no quarter to flourish.
    The end goal of the **** Party is genocide. How are we to be tolerant of such speech? That is a ludicrous proposition.

When has anyone stated they want genocide in this country. Thats ludicrous.
    Buford wrote: »
    When has anyone stated they want genocide in this country. Thats ludicrous.

When the white supremacists talk about "separation of the races" what exactly does that mean? Will black Americans who live next to whites be evicted from their homes at gunpoint, and areas "ethnically cleansed?"
    **** are ****. They never announced they were going to commit genocide in Germany, they were deporting and re-locating them as they loaded them on the trains. But yes some of their members have openly talked about genocide.

[video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kkk+killing+black+man&&view=detail&mid=D0CFBCBFF6FCCA0AA08DD0CFBCBFF6FCCA0AA08D&FORM=VRDGAR[/video]
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,878 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »
    The only reason they are making the comeback is because of social media. I firmly believe that whenever they march, if everyone would just stay away, let them walk through empty streets, they would give up. They know that they'll get a rise out of people and that's what they want.
    You can spew all the hate you want, but if there is no one there to listen, they might as well be marching in a field in the middle of Kansas.

Totally disagree, these guys aren't just trolling for a rise, this is a belief, an absurd, offensive belief and this video clearly shows they are willing to go to some serious length to "take back America"

This ideology needs to be fought, not ignored.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

So I would have thought this was a loser for Trump, but as it happens, it isn't. Because leftists decided to burn American flags, film themselves doing it, and throw urine-filled bottles at cops.

And then last night, someone vandalized a statue of Christopher Columbus. And filmed it.

Never, ever, ever underestimate the ability of liberals to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.