Honest question

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,876 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    How to lose an election in three easy steps:

1. Call everybody a racist.
    2. Bemoan the fact that Middle America is this vast wasteland full of ****.
    3. Wonder aloud in a million different thinkpieces, "why can't liberals talk to regular Americans?"

You know, I'm on your side on the ****. Its disgusting. I'll bet most Republicans are. You're not helping by calling everybody a racist. It alienates potential allies, at least as to this issue.

I worked so well for them in the past.
    I don't see anyone here on this site that'seven remotely on the side of the ****. I've already said I don't care if they remove all the Confederate statues and memorials from public squares and places. I don't agree with it, but i understand it. Not a hill I'm willing to die on. What concerns me is the slippery slope of witch hunting the so called "far right". We've been here so many times throughout history and its always ugly and mostly wrong.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,837 Senior Member
    I don't have any issue if they take down all the participation trophies for second-place. :)

Plenty of people on the right are concerned (and I sense some of the people here are too) that the left won't stop with Lee and Stonewall Jackson. They will insist on George Washington and TJ too. I doubt that's a valid concern. The Founders remain very popular, despite a century of attacks on them.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Joe And Mike,
    No one wants to bury history.

Yeah they do. Any historical monuments etc. that might offend or disturb ANYONE must be removed and either hidden from public view or destroyed. You missing the news lately or something?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/us/confederate-memorial-removal-us-trnd/index.html
    sherb wrote: »
    You know, I'm struck by a thought: Buffy, me, Comic, Shawn, MikeA, Steven, even Joe K. . . we're more alike then different. These guys aren't enemies. Yes, they have political differences, but they aren't out shouting "kill all the Jews" or calling Ivanka Trump a race traitor for marrying a Jewish guy, all of which happened on Saturday. We perhaps disagree on methods or even on the substance, but we share the same values, worship the same God, have the same hobbies. . .and hate the same enemy. Just something to think about.

I don't know Sherb...you fish with nymphs a lot. ;)
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,366 Senior Member
    Yeah they do. Any historical monuments etc. that might offend or disturb ANYONE must be removed and either hidden from public view or destroyed. You missing the news lately or something?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/us/confederate-memorial-removal-us-trnd/index.html

This doesn't make the case. George Washington owned slaves, but he isn't honored because he owned slaves. He isn't honored because he fought for slavery.

TJ is honored because of the Declaration of Independence, not because he owned slaves. If anything, he is derided for owning slaves despite his acknowledgment that it was wrong.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,971 Senior Member

I would go with Florida's idea to put them in museums. They won't be destroyed and they can be part of displays with a historical context that invites discussions about the war, slavery etc.

Another subject we haven't discussed is schools. If we move or destroy a statue of Robert E. Lee, do change the name of Robert E. Lee High School?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,273 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    I would go with Florida's idea to put them in museums. They won't be destroyed and they can be part of displays with a historical context that invites discussions about the war, slavery etc.

Another subject we haven't discussed is schools. If we move or destroy a statue of Robert E. Lee, do change the name of Robert E. Lee High School?

Sure. We'll get more loud protestors to deface the school property, Trump will tweet some nonsense, everyone on the right will be called ****, and the name will be changed to something less offensive. Repeat ad nauseam.
    FishTX wrote: »

Already being considered or has happened. Everyone needs a safe space from all of the evils from the past.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08/14/school-year-begins-communities-take-stock-confeder/

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/oklahoma/articles/2017-08-15/officials-to-reconsider-school-names-in-oklahoma-city-tulsa

http://www.news9.com/story/36148640/changes-possible-for-okc-schools-named-after-confederate-leaders

What a crazy effed up society we live in today.
    Someday, all of us with opposing views will learn our place and know to shut up.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Someday, all of us with opposing views will learn our place and know to shut up.
    Speak for yourself you freaking jerk!
    Only when those views deemed counter to progressive society are suppressed will we finally have freedom of speech. Or something.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Amid all this, Robert Mueller goes quietly about his business..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,814 Senior Member
    So was the Holocaust during the War of 1812? I'll get this figured out soon!

Joe, try decaf.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,952 Senior Member
    is there a Benedict Arnold High School anywhere?
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    tim_s wrote: »
    is there a Benedict Arnold High School anywhere?

There is a William and Mary College.. As a Protestant who's ancestors suffered persecution and being burned at the stake and fled to this country for safe haven, I demand they change the name. Are there any W&M alumni here I can punch in the face?
    There is a William and Mary College.. As a Protestant who's ancestors suffered persecution and being burned at the stake and fled to this country for safe haven, I demand they change the name.

Where'd you learn European history? Shawn C. High School?
    Steven wrote: »
    Where'd you learn European history? Shawn C. High School?

The Jacobite Uprising?
    The Jacobite's were against the reign of William & Mary and for returning James II to the crown. William and Mary were Protestants (brought in from the Netherlands) and deposed James II (Catholic) following the Battle of the Boyne.
    It's still too much a reminder of what I suffered. I've spent literally minutes thinking about this.
    What about the name of my home state? Georgia? Are you freaking kidding me????!?!??
    If Georgia were wiped off the face of the map, would anybody really mind?
    Steven wrote: »
    If Georgia were wiped off the face of the map, would anybody really mind?

Says the guy in Iohadowa, or where ever it is they have corn. Just corn.

BTW, you misspelled Atlanta.
    No corn...no whiskey
    ****. Not the colonel!!

colonel2.jpg
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Says the guy in Iohadowa, or where ever it is they have corn. Just corn.

BTW, you misspelled Atlanta.

Without de-railing this

News today shows a "Cow Chip" throwing contest in Iowa---And ESPN covered it

OK back to your regularly scheduled statue hating program

I think they should tear down "David"........Mine's bigger :)
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    So was the Holocaust during the War of 1812? I'll get this figured out soon!

Joe, try decaf.

C'mon Shawn...War of 1812 was where Canada conquered the Huns.....jeeez
    Bushart wrote: »
    C'mon Shawn...War of 1812 was where Canada conquered the Huns.....jeeez

I thought that was the Gulf of Tonkin incident.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 989 Senior Member
    I thought that was the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

No, that was the Bay of Pigs.

Well, have I got a deal for you! You can keep your Participation Trophy Statues (sick af burn, Sherb!) and we will erect some of these bad boys throughout Georgia. ;)

IMG_8318.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.