Home The Lodge

Steven

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 6,410 Senior Member
You still happy with Trump?

I was happy with Gorsuch. Beyond that, this has been an unmitigated disaster. Advancing Conservative policies--never popular with journalists and at odds with America's understanding of self--requires sober and serious leadership, a desire and a willingness to sell the policies, and the ability to communicate why doing so is important. None of this-none at all-is happening. Trump is currently feuding with his own Attorney General for hell's sake.

I'm willing to listen to counterarguments.

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,085 Senior Member
    I didn't vote for him the first time, wouldn't vote for him next time. But I don't care...I'd rather have nothing happen with a complete buffoon in the White House than Clinton/Warren pushing their agenda through federal agencies.

That said, there were only four things I really care about.

1) Putting real conservatives on SCOTUS - He hit a homer.
    2) DOL Fiduciary Rule that we can live with - everything is moving in the right direction so far.
    3) Lower corporate taxes - Too early to tell. Be done with healthcare one way or the other and move the freak on to taxes.
    4) Moving our embassy to Jerusalem - He pussied out...big time.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,663 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I didn't vote for him the first time, wouldn't vote for him next time. But I don't care...I'd rather have nothing happen with a complete buffoon in the White House than Clinton/Warren pushing their agenda through federal agencies.

That said, there were only four things I really care about.

1) Putting real conservatives on SCOTUS - He hit a homer.
    2) DOL Fiduciary Rule that we can live with - everything is moving in the right direction so far.
    3) Lower corporate taxes - Too early to tell. Be done with healthcare one way or the other and move the freak on to taxes.
    4) Moving our embassy to Jerusalem - He pussied out...big time.

1) Conservatives or reactionaries?
    2) You half convinced me that it ain't a bad thing, but only half.
    3) Lower corporate taxes? OK. Tax cuts for the 1-5%? No way.
    4) One of the worse possible things that could be done if one is at all serious about achieving peace in the region.

BTW - The way things are going under Bibi pretty soon Israel might not even consider you officially to be a Jew. Buffy's a 210% no-hoper. :)
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    There is absolutely no good reason not to put an embassy in West Jerusalem. There is no chance on G-d's green Earth that West Jerusalem will not ultimately be part of Israel.

Pretending all of Jerusalem is up for grabs dependent on negotiations just allows the Palestinians to continue with their delusions.
    Most of the known world runs on delusions and hopes that are little more than disappointment postponed. This goes for regions and countries right down to individuals.

Maintaining some sort of equilibrium is what prevents continuous World War. Keeping our Embassy in Tel Aviv is a message that we pay a little more than lip service to legal niceties and are not telling the Arabs to go pound their copious amounts of sand.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    The legal niceties don't help, they just hurt.

This is similar to yesterday's decision to remove the metal detectors from the Temple Mount. All it does is embolden the Palestinians to keep doing what they've been doing and claiming what they've been claiming.
    It's not the same, and legal niceties do not hurt if one wants any chance of a negotiated settlement. At times Israel can be its own worst enemy - witness the settlements.
    I so totally disagree. Getting rid of delusions will lead to a negotiated settlement, not following legal niceties that support that delusion.

Getting to Yes is ****.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,555 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    1) Conservatives or reactionaries?
    2) You half convinced me that it ain't a bad thing, but only half.
    3) Lower corporate taxes? OK. Tax cuts for the 1-5%? No way.
    4) One of the worse possible things that could be done if one is at all serious about achieving peace in the region.

BTW - The way things are going under Bibi pretty soon Israel might not even consider you officially to be a Jew. Buffy's a 210% no-hoper. :)

Anybody that thinks corporate tax cuts will bring manufacturing back to America needs a serious change in any of their math grades. There is no tax cut in the world that is going to allow an American worker to compete with someone that will work for $7 a week.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Most of the known world runs on delusions and hopes that are little more than disappointment postponed. This goes for regions and countries right down to individuals.

Maintaining some sort of equilibrium is what prevents continuous World War. Keeping our Embassy in Tel Aviv is a message that we pay a little more than lip service to legal niceties and are not telling the Arabs to go pound their copious amounts of sand.

It also keeps us from openly endorsing the occupation of Palestine. Until that occupation ends, no borders are set in stone.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,367 Senior Member
    Bibi clearly thinks there is no chance of a real peace in his lifetime, and while I worry about his belligerence, he's probably right. With so much turmoil in the region away from Israel, it seems to me they should keep a lower profile and wait to see where history is going. Unfortunately, delusions in the region have a thousand year half life.
    creekguy wrote: »
    Bibi clearly thinks there is no chance of a real peace in his lifetime

And he has done everything in his power to assure it.
    Bibi clearly thinks there is no chance of a real peace in Abu Mazen's lifetime, and while I worry about his belligerence, he's probably right.

Fixed for reality.
    A group of officials - including Ryan, Brady, and Gary Cohn - just put out a statement that the border adjustability tax is dead.
    Said they expect a bill to begin moving through committees this fall.

Without the BAT, it's unclear how big a tax cut could be.
    Anybody that thinks corporate tax cuts will bring manufacturing back to America needs a serious change in any of their math grades. There is no tax cut in the world that is going to allow an American worker to compete with someone that will work for $7 a week.

A corporate tax cut most likely would encourage domestic investment, which in turn would create jobs - not unskilled jobs, but the kind derived from investments that now go to other advanced economies, such as most of Europe.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,119 Senior Member
    Just think of the mess we would been in if hillary was elected.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Just think of the mess we would been in if hillary was elected.

What makes you think we would have a mess if Hillary was elected, serious question.

Speaking of mess, the conservative world is going to be pissed on Friday. The GOP has the presidency, the House and the Senate and they still can't repeal or replace. Now there's a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

What makes you think we would have a mess if Hillary was elected, serious question.

Because she's a Clinton? That's the political equivalent of being Pig-Pen.
    Because she's a Clinton? That's the political equivalent of being Pig-Pen.

OK, admittedly the Clintons are deeply unpleasant people who are overly fond of money. Do you think Dufus Donny is not?

Then again, let's compare the numerous investigations of the Clintons that have yielded zero indictments save for Bill's impeachment, which he survived, and his superb political skills, to the Donald's obvious fear of having his Russian connections and finances examined, and his complete lack of governing skills.

Please explain how Hillary in the White House could possibly be worse than Donald.
    Because she's a Clinton? That's the political equivalent of being Pig-Pen

To be fair, Goldie asked why Bufurd thought we'd be in a mess with Hillary, not more in a mess with Hillary.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,227 Senior Member
    George is trying to put lipstick on a pig. :-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Ah this point I would prefer Hillary. This is beyond terrible and every day that this madness continues we grow weaker.
    George is trying to put lipstick on a pig. :-)

Seriously, a lot of the Hillary hate is nothing more than ill-concealed misogyny. As deeply flawed as she is, she's nowhere near the steaming pile of incompetence called Trump.
    Something to consider...

Are we better off with somebody deeply flawed and incompetent or deeply flawed but competent?
    Seriously, a lot of the Hillary hate is nothing more than ill-concealed misogyny.

You really think that's why she failed twice? I thought the reason was the Russians and Comey?

The fact that she planned to continue Obama's policies was the biggest reason she lost.

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,367 Senior Member
    The fact that she planned to continue Obama's policies was the biggest reason she lost.

Well, everyone gets to interpret history their way. Policies? Obama would never have been re-elected if his policies were that unpopular. the only policies that affected the election was which side some people can go to the bathroom in. Which is to say social issues, including immigration. IMO, Hil lost because hatred (not just disgust) of the DC political establishment had reached extreme levels, and ANY non-member of the "establishment" was going to be favored. Remember that approval of congress was less than 20% going into the election process. I regarded Hil as just another well meaning but self-absorbed career politician who was obsessed with having a war chest and was willing to stretch the rules to get it. That she was a beta female didn't help.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    Something to consider...

Are we better off with somebody deeply flawed and incompetent or deeply flawed but competent?

And there is no door #3.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    NAFTA and the TPP killed Hillary.
    You really think that's why she failed twice?

Did I say that? Try reading for comprehension next time.
    Well, everyone gets to interpret history their way. Policies? Obama would never have been re-elected if his policies were that unpopular.

That's because a lot of his policies weren't realized until his second term. Which is why the pendulum slowly swung away from the D's in the congressional elections and finally in the last presidential election.
    Did I say that? Try reading for comprehension next time.

When you say "Hillary Hate" I think it's safe to assume that is why you also think she lost both times. What am I missing?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement