Home The Lodge

Capitalism is Pretty Messed up

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,955 Senior Member
All over the country "craft" brewers and "Micro" brewers are trying get their rights and others are fighting their rights being taken away.

Most often it's distributors trying to force Craft breweries from selling their own product at their own prices, or keeping in place such laws. This happened in Wisconsin a few years back, the distributors trying to put the clamps on their failing industries by requiring brewery's to provide food. If they did not comply they would lose the right to transfer/distribute their own products. They hoped that this would destroy the competition. Well It didn't work out like they thought. You are seeing less Miller and Bud being bought. You are seeing a significant growth in jobs in towns, villages and cities. Though not being included in the present Wisconsin budget, it will soon Be there. I had heard on tv that it had already been included. This portion of the bill would MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO SELL YOUR OWN PRODUCTS. All with the intention of eliminating the competition, So Miller and Bud can still compete. They can anyway, they are the crappiest and cheapest beers around, when you have no money you buy cheap beer, they will always be in business.

Same old thing, you (legislators) make the "climate" better for us and we'll donate to you campaigns. The tavern league of wisconsin is behind this latest bull in the State Maybe they should get new distributors, maybe cut a deal with a brewery to deliver their product to your door instead of some independent who gets cuts with Mill and Bud. So tell me that has a bright future and all that competition is going to create jobs. all about competition, tell me Capitalism has a bright future. Our entire system is controlled by industry, they tell us what chemicals are good for us (after every country in the world has banned them.), they tell is the loss 10,000 is better than creating 10,000 jobs....because it better for their business. Your legislator will probably go along with it because he or she will profit.

I thought (wrongly) for years that there was some completion left in certain areas, But I am thinking the beer fight is pretty close to the end of it. Doesn't competition drive down prices? How could I be so dumb? The basic laws of capitalism have long reject those basics Now it's only what the market will bare. Meaning if we can produce a product for $2.00 and sell it $12.00 great, but because you know that your "competition" will raise their prices $75.00 along with you, you do it. The days of making a better product for a lower price to expand their market left us in the fifties. It's funny that law supposedly tries to prevent "unfair" competition" but has little or no problem with most money gouging and price fixing. I sure hope the epipen guy goes to jail, not some lousy fine. Some here probably thinks the guy is being treated unfairly, HE HAS THE RIGHT. Capitalism is dead it's not even a shell of it's former self. The EU fines Google 2.7 mill for unfair trade practices. I doubt that would ever happen here. Google deserves it. Amazon. bigger is better? Amazon and Walmart I believe are the two largest employers in the country, whose competing with them? They say with Amazons recent expansion will cause the loss of millions of jobs. WE have been trending a achieving monopolies in a number of areas. How do defend that?

Im not telling anyone how think, or tell them they are stupid, we just to start thinking and understanding what our corporate/political world is really doing to us. The developed world is far more happy than us, and they are not lying.

last comment, second day home, it' not been any fun, this wore me out. Ten minutes a day IS all I can hanDle and not very well, I cAN' EVEN TYPE. tHE SURGERIES . were successful But other than not being dead, I'll still have to be convinced.

I hope that you are all doing well.
I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,225 Senior Member
    The Tavern League is behind this. They are pissed that the craft brewers are taking away their business.

We have a new brewery in town that opened up last year. Pick any night of the week and the parking lot of the craft brewery has a lot of cars in it. Drive around to the local taverns and their virtually empty.

People are realizing what good beer is. Which isn't that swill sold from Miller, Bud, Coors etc. That and when you go the craft brewery you don't have to put up with the riff raff. It's more of higher caliber of people instead of the obnoxious drunk in the corner starting fights or shouting obscenities.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,659 Senior Member
    I hope you're feeling better soon.

BTW - What you are describing isn't capitalism, it is special interest politics distorting the market.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,299 Senior Member
    That must be a Wisconsin thing. 19 breweries with 2 more opening this summer here.

Also, I'm far from poor and I like Bud and Coors (visualizing Sherb sitting on the tailgate of his Ford swilling kings).
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,409 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »

Also, I'm far from poor and I like Bud and Coors (visualizing Sherb sitting on the tailgate of his Ford swilling kings).

Nothing better on a hot day of fishing than a King.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,659 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

Unless it's an ice-cold Genny Cream Ale. :)

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/genesee-cream-ale/74/
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,955 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »

BTW - What you are describing isn't capitalism, it is special interest politics distorting the market.

That's the point, "real" capitalism hasn't existed in decades. However the right keeps pounding that into the public heads.

Feeling a little better than this morning the vics make a difference, I hat taking them but I have to force myself or I get really sick. Thanks.

nearly any beer hits the spot after spending the the fishing or doin' stream work.
    Unless it's an ice-cold Genny Cream Ale. :)

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/genesee-cream-ale/74/

Maine Root spicy Ginger

http://maineroot.com/sodas/ginger-brew/
    That must be a Wisconsin thing. 19 breweries with 2 more opening this summer here.

No just a Republican THING. It has been happening all over the south from New Mexico to Florida, some in NE as well, the latter if I remember right were trying to get the rights to sell their own stuff.

if it's cool and satisfying on your buds who cares
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,363 Senior Member
    Lets hear it for 3.2 Beer!!! Anybody want to defend those laws?
    Wetdog wrote: »
    nearly any beer hits the spot after spending the the fishing or doin' stream work.

I'm saddened to hear that you have lowered your standards as you have got older. :p

Any beer? C'mon...that **** produced by Bud, Coors, Miller is just that...****.
    oh look, Joe K is wrong about yet another thing. :cool:
    I saw the light a few years back and will admit that I am a beer snob. After drinking many a craft brew for the past few years and then trying to drink something produced by the big 3 if that's all that is available...it tastes blah. Could never go back to it. Even some of the local taverns I frequent on occasion, due to convenience of being nearby on my travels, have started to carry craft brew on tap or in the bottle.

If you take me out on your boat, I'll bring you some good beer. :D :cool:
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    Now that some of the restrictions have been taken off, craft beer has really taken off. My latest fav: Bear Hump Brown Ale..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,299 Senior Member

He probably drives a toyota and rides a bike too. Haha.
    I used to drive a Toyota truck but now drive a Nissan truck. Wife drives a Toyota though.

And yes...I ride bike

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gary gets me. He gets me.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,363 Senior Member
    **** nymphers! No class,...no class at all.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

And if you do it will be safe from Sherb!
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member

I gather you will need to bring copious amounts of beer..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

I thought maybe for a second....but I was disappointed. My standards are too high when it comes to beer....and after working on the stream for ten hours in the August heat, you aren't drinking beer, but something cold. The first thing I did after turning our chapter around and we finally were making some real money, I made sure no crap beer was bought for our post work day. I bought the beer, I couldn't trust anyone else. We were rebels.:)

note..... if I had bought bud or Miller they may have voted me out as prez after twenty years of slop, that would be hard to do, no one wants that job for long.

I don't even drink anymore, a Guinness, an Irish or some scotch is pretty much all i drink today....and that was pretty rare even BEFORE the open heart.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,085 Senior Member

This saved me time from reading the rest of this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement