Home The Lodge

I think we should discuss this.

124»

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    He is heard in the video saying several times that he was not reaching for his gun. He was responding to the officer's commands.

Cops don't have the luxury of assuming the person is acting in good faith. See my post about the guy who pulled a gun and shot two cops.

Yes, he was responding to the command, but he chose an extremely poor time to announce that he had a gun. When the cop freaks out, he should have froze, rather than continuing to reach for what HE said was his wallet. Place hands back on dash, explain the situation.

Instead he tried to argue. It's like dealing with my kids. I tell them to do something and they try to argue their case instead of complying.

Castile should have used better judgement. Do not reach and say the word gun. Hell, I'm white and even I know this.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,943 Senior Member
    The marijuana is irrelevant to you. But it was relevant in the court case.

Attorneys for officer claim Castile was high on marijuana, not responsive to commands.

Gray said that autopsy results indicated Castile has high levels of THC in his blood, the chemical responsible for marijuana’s psychological effects, and was “stoned” while driving that day. The memo said Reynolds confirmed that the two were “smokers,” had marijuana in the car and had smoked marijuana before the stop that day.

“The status of being stoned (in an acute and chronic sense) explains why Mr. Castile, 1) did not follow the repeated directions of Officer Yanez; 2) stared straight ahead and avoided eye-contact; 3) never mentioned that he had a carry permit, but instead said he had a gun; and 4) did not show his hands,” the memo said.

I'm not sure this is correct. Certainly Yanez's attorneys wanted to argue it. But I don't see in here that the judge allowed it. Without expert testimony showing a link between MJ use and aggression, I don't see the relevance.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Castile should have used better judgement.

I don't think Castile is one that showed poor judgement..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,749 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is correct. Certainly Yanez's attorneys wanted to argue it. But I don't see in here that the judge allowed it. Without expert testimony showing a link between MJ use and aggression, I don't see the relevance.

The relevance is that it painted a nice picture of Castile for the jury. Yes?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    ricinus wrote: »
    I don't think Castile is one that showed poor judgement..

Mike

Sure he did. Yanez showed poor judgement also. But Castile should. have. frozen. Don't keep reaching and explaining, thinking the cop is going to say, "Ok, you say you aren't reaching for a weapon. I believe you." Of course Castile showed poor judgement.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    As an ATC...How many people do you have to deal with at work that have a gun in their pocket and are high on marijuana?

Statistically speaking, about as often as cops do.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,234 Senior Member
    Why in the world should this be discussed? Cops can shoot anyone they can for the most part. Your life isn't endangered when someone is running away. Today the two cops that supported the killer of that black kid in Chicago who was walking away and got shot sixteen times in the back. They testified that the kid had a knife. Video proved that he didn't. Did they throw down one. The officers were arrested. Had there not been a shake up, these guys probably would never charged. The question is not about a cop panicking in this instance it's cover up. Is that how they get off time and time again, maybe there are some other reasons as we also be lookin at. I' d like to see how many of these cops had grand jury?
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,234 Senior Member
    Potheads kill 50,000 cops a year Reefer madness is still with us.... omg Wait for it........How many white guys who have a carry permit when they tell the cop they have a gun. Is a carry permit just for whites. Why not aren't they just as potentially DANGEROUS. The only white guys I know of had been stunned several of many times and then shot....and they didn't have guns. What is wrong with us?

Now is this just cops that freakout? Then they should removed, or are their some that are just don't give a crap and know they will back up from their buddies. Both are true, both should serve time. But that is not our country. We are a country of excuses
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,749 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Statistically speaking, about as often as cops do.
    I doubt it

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,524 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Well that clears it up then. He said he wasn't doing something, therefore he wasn't. I'm sure he would have said he wasn't stoned too. Nobody in prison is guilty either.

So much for innocence before proven guilt.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Cops don't have the luxury of assuming the person is acting in good faith. See my post about the guy who pulled a gun and shot two cops.

Yes, he was responding to the command, but he chose an extremely poor time to announce that he had a gun. When the cop freaks out, he should have froze, rather than continuing to reach for what HE said was his wallet. Place hands back on dash, explain the situation.

Instead he tried to argue. It's like dealing with my kids. I tell them to do something and they try to argue their case instead of complying.

Castile should have used better judgement. Do not reach and say the word gun. Hell, I'm white and even I know this.

He didn't try to argue. He explained he wasn't reaching for his gun. It used to be you had to actually be pointing your wallet at a police officer before he emptied a clip into your chest.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

How many times have you shot your kids?

Again the guy with the gun pointed at his head has to remain calm and rational, but the guy pointing it is excused for bad judgement.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    I doubt it

Both are very, very close to zero.

Point being that your premise is dumb.
    How many times have you shot your kids?

Again the guy with the gun pointed at his head has to remain calm and rational, but the guy pointing it is excused for bad judgement.
    I know you've read in this thread where I have condemned Yanez and place the lion's share of the blame on him.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Potheads kill 50,000 cops a year Reefer madness is still with us.... omg Wait for it........How many white guys who have a carry permit when they tell the cop they have a gun. Is a carry permit just for whites. Why not aren't they just as potentially DANGEROUS. The only white guys I know of had been stunned several of many times and then shot....and they didn't have guns. What is wrong with us?

Now is this just cops that freakout? Then they should removed, or are their some that are just don't give a crap and know they will back up from their buddies. Both are true, both should serve time. But that is not our country. We are a country of excuses
    Race had nothing to do with this incident. The officer panicked when he heard the word gun and Castile didn't stop moving. Simple as that.
    He didn't try to argue. He explained he wasn't reaching for his gun

While he kept moving his hand.

Are you suggesting that cops MUST believe those words, and can only react when the gun is pointed at them?

Yanez freaked out and acted entirely too fast. But you cannot be suggesting that cops have to assume they aren't in danger until they are. Gonna be a lot of dead cops. Again, I posted a video showing this same situation where the guy actually DID pull a gun.
    You don't know he kept moving his hand.

And yes I can assume that cops should not shoot someone to death until they know they are in danger.
    I know you've read in this thread where I have condemned Yanez and place the lion's share of the blame on him.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So you do not agree with the verdict?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement