Home The Lodge

Friends, let's welcome Eugene!

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 10,585 Senior Member
Welcome, Eugene!

From what locale do you hail?
How did you find The Lodge?
Have you ever poured gasoline on sand, set it on fire, and kicked up some sweet, fiery rooster tails in it with your atv?

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,119 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Welcome, Eugene!

Have you ever poured gasoline on sand, set it on fire, and kicked up some sweet, fiery rooster tails in it with your atv?

That is something to see. We almost lost a trailer to those shenanigans. That was a good learning curve though you cant do that stuff in camp. Looking back my friends and I have been quite fortunate, between fire walking and homemade M-80s no major incidents.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,085 Senior Member
    Are dry flies for privileged white guys? Asking for a friend.

[/looks at sherb]
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 50 Member
    Why thank you, Buffy.

I find it so very amusing that merely by pointing out an undeniable fact (that you all are among the world's privileged), I would set off so much angst among you. That merely by making a single comment, an innocent and fully verifiable factual observation, one made with a bare minimum of explicit judgment, that it would set off certain of you to such an extent.

As to dry flies, while they are indeed a tool of the privileged, the point of recognizing privilege is not to excoriate its outward symbols, but rather to spread them, to enhance their availability to all. Fishing with flies is, indeed, a sign of our privilege, but that does not mean flies, or even dry flies, are "for" privileged white guys. It means, as every angler knows in his heart, regardless if he admits it in his mind, that dry flies are to fishing as crawfish are to cajun food. Which is to say, an epitomizing element, not exclusive, but a pinnacle of the art when properly presented.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,226 Senior Member
    Poor Sherb. He fishes with jigs on a fly rod. He definitely is not privileged.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Eugene wrote: »
    It means, as every angler knows in his heart, regardless if he admits it in his mind, that dry flies are to fishing as crawfish are to cajun food. Which is to say, an epitomizing element, not exclusive, but a pinnacle of the art when properly presented.

sherb, are you gonna take this?
    Why thank you, Buffy.

I find it so very amusing that merely by pointing out an undeniable fact (that you all are among the world's privileged), I would set off so much angst among you.

I think we find it amusing that you may have alienated everybody on both sides of the political spectrum with just a couple of dozen posts. We also have tended to get tired quickly with anybody who focuses solely on one topic (see EdB).
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    What are your hobbies other than fly fishing Eugene?

Guys we're not being very welcoming here.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Eugene,

Do you like the McRib?
    MMA or boxing?
    Buffco wrote: »
    What are your hobbies other than fly fishing Eugene?

Guys we're not being very welcoming here.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have many hobbies. Too many, in fact. I mean that. Too many to give any one of them proper focus. I have all the usual hobbies related to flyfishing, such as the very occasional rodbuilding project, fly tying, and messing about with my own gear (was very interested in the assessment of fly lines that occupied a recent thread). I enjoy some shooting and hunting. Time was when I would backpack this great nation of ours, both east and west, north and south (OK, not so much south, who wants to to hike in the sweaty, mosquito-infested, beswamped southlands of the U.S.A.? But definitely in the southwest). I'm an avid reader of useless pulp fiction, though I wonder whether we can still call it "pulp fiction" when it is now all electrons and content, with nary a speck of semi-digested sawdust or petro-based ink to be found? I take my outdoor pursuits just seriously enough to know that they are almost never serious, and neglect my indoor duties enough to know that they are more serious than I wish. In short, I am one you, dear denizens of the Lodge. Proving that while each of us may be unique, our novelty is our commonality.
    Steven wrote: »
    I think we find it amusing that you may have alienated everybody on both sides of the political spectrum with just a couple of dozen posts. We also have tended to get tired quickly with anybody who focuses solely on one topic (see EdB).

EdB's insanity was his most interesting feature. His perspective was fascinating, precisely because of its oddity. Too many of you, and too often I, have run screaming from the barest hint of an idea that others might deem "outside the mainstream." Middle aged, middle class, midwestern, middle managers are just so much more, well, fair to middling. When we choose comfort, we eschew our potential.
    Well, I'm middle-aged.

As for Ed, nobody ever ran screaming from his "outside the mainstream" ideas.

You ever hear of anybody burning constitutions?
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,955 Senior Member
    Ed isn't insane, he's committed fully to something he believes in. We may not agree but he's not insane, just a true believer(something no one should be), no different than those who believe in supply side economics. What's the difference, neither will work in the real world. haha

anyway, hi Eugene, can't get to know you for awhile, Getting cut open on Thursday so it may be awhile before I return.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Wetdog, as to EdB I meant "insane" in the vernacular sense, only. Steven takes me literally because it suits his argumentative needs to do so. Don't be a Steven.
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Ed isn't insane, he's committed fully to something he believes in.

So...delusional?
    Wetdog, as to EdB I meant "insane" in the vernacular sense, only. Steven takes me literally because it suits his argumentative needs to do so. Don't be a Steven.

I missed the part where I told you that Ed was insane, Eugene. Let's try for accuracy.
    I take my outdoor pursuits just seriously enough to know that they are almost never serious, and neglect my indoor duties enough to know that they are more serious than I wish.

I'm in this same boat. Lots of stuff getting neglected around the house these day.
    Steven wrote: »
    I missed the part where I told you that Ed was insane, Eugene. Let's try for accuracy.

You should try reading for comprehension. I never suggested you used the word "insane," that was all me, which was why I took responsibility for explaining myself to Wetdog. You see, taking responsibility for the things I do is something I believe in pretty strongly.
    So, how'd I take you literally in this instance?
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 3,096 Senior Member
    If a definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again (voting for politicians and supporting the present social structure) and hoping for a different result, most of the people on this forum qualify.
    Ed!

Where you been? You been well?
    Fishing on the Delaware since April 5th. I'm fine, thank you.
    Daily? Glad you're well. Been worried.
    Almost daily, I make the four hour trip home on some weekends when a lot of people show up.
    ****. Good for you.
    EdB wrote: »
    If a definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again (voting for politicians and supporting the present social structure) and hoping for a different result, most of the people on this forum qualify.

Hi Ed. Nice to see you.
    Hi sherb, hope you're well.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member

Hi Ed,
    Nice to see you posting..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Hi sherb, hope you're well.

thanks, I am.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement