So my weekend...

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 3,508 Senior Member
...In response to George...

...was spent in Madison, WI celebrating the graduation of the University of Wisconsin's class of 2017...which among some 10,000 or so others, included Eden Abigail Schwartz.

Just a great weekend, over all.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,963 Senior Member
    That's great news. Congrats to her.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Congrats to her and her proud Dad..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,959 Senior Member
    Congratulations all around!
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Must have been a great time. Congrats.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Congrats to Eden and the whole clan!
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Thanks CG and WetDog. We had a blast.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    What did you take advantage of in Madison?
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    First we had family. My folks came in from L.A. and my MIL came in from Indiana.

So Friday, we drove to Madison from DM...stopping for lunch that was about 6 hrs. We were all staying at the Edgewater, which is always nice.

We hosted a dinner for about 20...for Eden's roommates and their parents. They're all in-state and always been kind to Eden, and Karyn and I never could do the same from Chicago and Iowa. I can't remember the place, but very nice restaurant right across from the Capitol.

Speaking of which, we had a photographer to take pictures of everybody on the Capitol steps. Really fun.

After dinner the kids went to Wando's (local bar serves big drinks). Adults called it a night.

Saturday was the commencement. The guest speaker was Stephen Levitan...the creator of "Modern Family" and UW '80 grad. It was a hilarious 20 minute stand up routine.

3/4s of the way through the ceremony, "Jump Around" came on and Camp Randall went bonkers.

Eden spent the rest of the day with her mother. We went back to the hotel and then went to Wonder Bar for dinner.

Sunday morning we had food catered in our room for Mother's Day and then headed back home.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,023 Senior Member
    Congrats to Eden.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,039 Senior Member
    Congrats all the way around.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Congratulations!
    Now go fishing. You deserve to go fishing.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,072 Senior Member
    Congrats..
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,397 Senior Member
    Congrats to her.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,004 Senior Member
    Congrats Steven. What's next for her?
    Thanks Mike.

Not 100% sure...she's got a paying job for the summer doing research for a Poli Sci professor (one of her two majors). So, she has through August for the job search.
    Please say she is not looking in Iowa..:D

Mike
    I'm pretty sure she's going to do her best to find something in Chicago or maybe Milwaukee. But if it comes down to it, there's a lot of job availability here.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,947 Senior Member
    Congratulations to Eden and yourself!
    What is the other half of her degree in?
    French...of all things.

I tried to get her to take Chinese or Russian in addition to continuing French but she didn't bite. Figured she could work internationally for a hotel chain or something.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,947 Senior Member
    Hmm... She can hang out on the left bank and regale the young artist with tales of her father, "Le Rightwad."

;)
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Hmm... She can hang out on the left bank and regale the young artist with tales of her father, "Le Rightwad."

Well, I needed a laugh and now I'm laughing my **** off.
    Steven wrote: »
    French...of all things.

I tried to get her to take Chinese or Russian in addition to continuing French but she didn't bite. Figured she could work internationally for a hotel chain or something.

I thought about minoring in French (I have two years of it) but decided on economics instead.
    I had to take 3 years of French in High School. All I remember is how to order 2 Labatts 50..

Mike

OK, Maybe a bit more..
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,959 Senior Member
    True story.

Back in the early 1970s the Canadian Foreign Service decreed that all officers had three or four years to be certified as bilingual English/French. I was stationed in Stockholm, my second post, at the time and one of my local employees was engaged to a Canadian diplomat with a French surname who had been raised by his Anglo grandparents. He could not even master menu French and despite intensive tutoring had no chance of passing the bilingual exam. I was transferred before the climatic moment, but I suspect they spent the rest of his career in the Pearl of the Americas (Not) - Ottawa.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.