It Can't Happen Here - Can It?

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,811 Senior Member
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A Republican member in the Oklahoma House is suggesting that tens of thousands of non-English speaking students in public schools be turned over to U.S. immigration officials as cost-saving measure in the cash-strapped state.

Broken Arrow Republican Rep. Mike Ritze told News9 in an interview Wednesday that the newly created Republican Platform Caucus believes the state could save $60 million if Oklahoma would identify what the caucus believes is 82,000 non-English speaking students "and then turn them over" to Immigration and Customs Enforcement to determine whether they are citizens.

It's unclear from the segment if he was referring to turning over the students' names or rounding up the children. The State Department of Education said there are actually about 50,000 English learners in pre-K through 12th grade in Oklahoma public schools, but many of those students could be U.S. citizens.

Ritze also questioned whether the state should have to educate children who aren't citizens, although a 1982 U.S. Supreme Court decision holds states cannot deny students a free public education based on their immigration status. Also, the United States also has no official language...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OKLAHOMA_REPUBLICANS_IMMIGRANTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-05-11-18-14-55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svdrAHn_LGo
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,606 Senior Member
    I thought the great immigrant round-up rodeo was'nt gonna happen---ya know Dems over active posturing etc.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    Nothing from conservative minds surprises me. Doubt it will happen, but we are in for a lot more of these outrageous ideas.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,946 Senior Member
    I don't see why those that are here ILLEGALLY should get an free education.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I don't see why those that are here ILLEGALLY should get an free education.

yeah, i mean, f the supreme court!

constitution is ****, too, man!
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    The courts got it wrong.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,579 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    yeah, i mean, f the supreme court!

constitution is ****, too, man!

You have to understand in some people's world just being Spanish speaking makes you an illegal sub-human.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    You have to understand in some people's world just being Spanish speaking makes you an illegal sub-human.

Some kind of bizarro world you live in chris. Sub-human, really.
    People want illegal immigration to stop plain and not so simple but there it is.
    The courts got it wrong.

what year did you pass the bar?
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    Nothing from conservative minds surprises me. Doubt it will happen, but we are in for a lot more of these outrageous ideas.

well, I don't know that this is fair, since literally every other Republican quoted in the article thinks its a bad idea and was repulsed at the suggestion. And like the article says, its been tried and didn't go so well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe

By the way. . .

Also, the United States also has no official language.

Does the AP not have editors?
    Some kind of bizarro world you live in chris. Sub-human, really.
    People want illegal immigration to stop plain and not so simple but there it is.

And you determine they are illegal because they don't speak English as a first language? Do you see how ignorant and hateful that is? I am guessing not.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Some kind of bizarro world you live in chris.
    So you are saying that all legal immigrants, including children, are fluent in English prior to coming here and gaining citizenship? That is BS. And if you read the article it says the kids be turn over to find out their status. That will hurt the families who are here legally.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    sherb wrote: »
    well, I don't know that this is fair, since literally every other Republican quoted in the article thinks its a bad idea and was repulsed at the suggestion. And like the article says, its been tried and didn't go so well.

I made an unclear distinction between Republican and conservative. I was using conservative as far right idiots. Yeah, I am guilty of doing what I do not like. Using conservative, liberal, Democrat and Republican as a pejorative.

And where do we draw the lines if those lines exist? Each of those terms covers a spectrum of thinking. And people can fall anywhere on each spectrum. IMHO, people who think deeper about issues may fall towards the middle of the broader spectrum, and have points of view on individual subjects that are far from the middle. Labels on people often do not fit well and sometimes are plain wrong.

I guess it would have been better to say there are always idiots with overly simple points of view and "solutions."

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,606 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    Labels on people often do not fit well and sometimes are plain wrong.

I guess it would have been better to say there are always idiots with overly simple points of view and "solutions."

Ya mean like calling someone with a different opinion a "Snowflake" (Not meaning You--as I'm unaware you have at any time done this)
    There is no simple solution to this problem. People want it to stop and no matter what they do someones feelings are going to get hurt.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,873 Senior Member
    There is no simple solution to this problem. People want it to stop and no matter what they do someones feelings are going to get hurt.

Buford man, you wear your prejudice on your sleeve. This country was founded on immigrants and do you think all of them spoke English when they got here? They, like your ancestors came here to have a better life or they were fleeing some sort of persecution just like some of them today. I agree that the criminals need to be tossed, but throwing 12 million (or whatever the number is) out of the country isn't the answer and our ridiculous president is stoking the flames of bigotry by saying what he does about immigrants.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    If you want to get really technical it could be said the US stole California from Mexico; so who really are the illegals??

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Can you show me where it has been cleared up that it not the students themselves who will be detained? What about the illegals who speak English? We going to ignore them and persecute non-English speakers, because somebody does not want to do the work to avoid persecuting the innocent?

Why go after the students even if they are illegal? Go after the parents who brought them here. The students are innocent. And then there are the comments Michael made about those escaping a bad life. Who decides it was OK for my ancestors to escape a pogrom, but somebody from the south can't come here to escape the drug cartels?

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,326 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

Some pissant in the Oklahoma STATE legislature says something and the snowflakes go batshit crazy.
    This guy probably serves three months out of the year in the legislature and then goes back home to run his car dealership.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    Teaching in two languages IS costing us a fortune. Why is it wrong to require students to speak english to enter school? No other country teaches in two languages, why should we?
    All of my ancestors came here and learned the language, why can't people from Mexico?

feelings hurt and rights trampled on are two different things
    CO Native wrote: »
    Teaching in two languages IS costing us a fortune. Why is it wrong to require students to speak english to enter school? No other country teaches in two languages, why should we?
    All of my ancestors came here and learned the language, why can't people from Mexico?

we don't teach in two languages.....ESL students receive support while they learn the language; learning the language to succeed in school takes time

what do you think is more expensive long term: the current ESL program or allowing non-english speaking students to struggle, be held back, drop out......until one learns the language, they are going to struggle......either keeping those students in school longer (more expensive to the school) or causing them to drop out or receive less of an education (more expensive to society long term)
    CO Native wrote: »
    No other country teaches in two languages, why should we?

Uhmmm.. Raises hand slowly..

Mike
    Steven wrote: »
    Some pissant in the Oklahoma STATE legislature says something and the snowflakes go batshit crazy.
    This guy probably serves three months out of the year in the legislature and then goes back home to run his car dealership.

Maybe it is because the President you voted for ran on this very platform.
    Maybe it is because the President you voted for ran on this very platform.

He didn't vote for him.
    Not only didn't I vote for him, but I am the most pro-immigration of anybody who has ever posted on this board or any of its predecessor boards.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Not only didn't I vote for him, but I am the most pro-immigration of anybody who has ever posted on this board or any of its predecessor boards.

Nuh-uh. I love me some Mexican chicks.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Nuh-uh. I love me some Mexican chicks.

Who doesn't?
    I know a place in Tijuana, actually never mind..

Mike
    Pio once said that there's nothing special about citizenship with regard to voting. That was a bit too cosmopolitan for me. And everyone else.
    How the hell have I forgotten this?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.