By The Way....Thanks Donny

BushartBushart Senior MemberPosts: 2,725 Senior Member
So if I'm living in the continental US and am considering a building project---go to the lumber yard and buy tomorrow

Your Gov't has imposed a hefty tariff on softwood lumber......(Again)

Now your country cannot supply all your needs--so prices are headin up

Ask your people in the know---like your construction industries etc.---You want Canadian Softwood due to it's strength---our climate grows stronger spruce I guess

And PS---this always ends up in the WTO courts---and you have always lost

So dig deeper---Donny is playin the base...again

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-reaction-softwood-countervailing-tuesday-1.4084390

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,971 Senior Member
    This would be great if the Southern Yellow Pine demand went up and stumpage rose with it. Don't hate me. I need a new truck.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,273 Senior Member
    Is Canadian spruce any stronger than SYP or S/P/F?

We used to get truckloads of bundled Canfor but I always figured it was because it was cheap.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Only thing spruce is good for is interior walls. If it's going to be exposed at all, I go SYP.

I accidentally grabbed a 2x6 stick of spruce when I built a lean to off the hog barn. Within a year, carpenter bees ate all through it. They will make the occasional hole in pine, but this spruce was like Swiss cheese. Had to jack the roof and cut out the Canadian crap. :)

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 989 Senior Member
    Seems like he went about it in a nasty fashion. Whether justified on the merits--I don't know.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Is Canadian spruce any stronger than SYP or S/P/F?

The S in SPF stands for spruce. SPF = Spruce, Pine, Fir They lump together species with similar characteristics.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I accidentally grabbed a 2x6 stick of spruce when I built a lean to off the hog barn. Within a year, carpenter bees ate all through it.
    I have the same problem, but not to the same degree. A few holes so far.

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Only thing spruce is good for is interior walls. If it's going to be exposed at all, I go SYP.

I accidentally grabbed a 2x6 stick of spruce when I built a lean to off the hog barn. Within a year, carpenter bees ate all through it. They will make the occasional hole in pine, but this spruce was like Swiss cheese. Had to jack the roof and cut out the Canadian crap. :)

Don't you guys use treated lumber, this is ****!!

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,879 Senior Member

The majority of acoustic guitars have a spruce top

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    There's something with northern spruce----reason why it is used heavily in pulp making---it's all in the fibre strands

So you (US) will be paying more---building costs will increase----and thus will trickle down (or up) to many things

Us...we get job losses and plant closures---it's the gift that keeps on giving

Also---anything exposed here---I use pressure treated spruce
    FishTX wrote: »
    The S in SPF stands for spruce. SPF = Spruce, Pine, Fir They lump together species with similar characteristics.

I know.

;)
    ricinus wrote: »
    Don't you guys use treated lumber, this is ****!!

Mike

By exposed, I meant under a roof but exposed to the air. Anything with ground contact or rain, I use treated. No need to waste the money for treated rafters and lathing.
    By exposed, I meant under a roof but exposed to the air. Anything with ground contact or rain, I use treated. No need to waste the money for treated rafters and lathing.

They make a product that is treated with insecticide for use in areas that have problems.. But you're right there is no comparison between the **** they're selling as top grade lumber and SYP..

Mike
    FishTX wrote: »
    This would be great if the Southern Yellow Pine demand went up and stumpage rose with it. Don't hate me. I need a new truck.

When I was building my kitchen cabinets for the cabin, I wanted Yellow Pine to mill for the trims and doors. I couldn't get any up here so I had to settle for a local pine.

I would guess I had about 50% wastage because of twisting etc.

Mike
    Spruce is not all bad. Wood-framed aircraft use spruce.

Old growth Sitka spruce, top of the line- used in boats, planes, musical instruments..

Mike
    I'm off in another direction

I sided our house in hemlock---sourced from local sawmill---I love this stuff---beauty grain

The mill is using our house picture now for a sales pitch
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,876 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    I'm off in another direction

I sided our house in hemlock---sourced from local sawmill---I love this stuff---beauty grain

The mill is using our house picture now for a sales pitch
    I had no idea people were using hemlock for anything. God knows there's plenty of it on the ground around here, for now....
    About 30 yrs ago, roofers were pitching pine shakes that were treated. They were half the price of cedar and readily available. I lucked out and stayed with cedar.

Within 5 yrs all the pine roofs were rotting and the lawsuits were flying everywhere.. The price of cedar shakes skyrocketed and you were lucky to find any..

Mike
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,891 Senior Member
    About 30 yrs ago, roofers were pitching pine shakes that were treated. They were half the price of cedar and readily available. I lucked out and stayed with cedar.

Within 5 yrs all the pine roofs were rotting and the lawsuits were flying everywhere.. The price of cedar shakes skyrocketed and you were lucky to find any..

Mike

Cedar is getting hard to find here. Our house had redwood siding when my wife and her ex bought it in the 1970s. It's still in good shape. There was no way to get that when we built an extension around ten years ago, but we managed to find cedar. Just a couple of years later we could not find any to replace a vinyl wall that could only be seen from the back of the property, but that always had bothered us, so we used Hardieplank. Side by side it will not fool you because it will take on the curvature of 170+ year old walls, but on new construction it looks like wood.

Hardie does not make roofing. but I have seen similar pseudo shakes that would be acceptable to most people to replace - not repair - a roof.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    My cabin is sided in 10" cedar siding. A couple of years ago a woodpecker played havoc with a few spots. When I went to some cedar to repair, the fellow just laughed at me.

Fortunately the siding should outlast me and the woodpecker holes add character..

Mike
    Here's the ranch we put the hemlock on

Rough sawn B & B----It's our intent to let it go gray naturally (barnboard look)

[URL="[url=https://postimg.org/image/3kdr3v2tx/][img]https://s26.postimg.org/3kdr3v2tx/fam_plus_house_005.jpg[/img][/url]"][/url]fam_plus_house_005.jpg
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,813 Senior Member
    The addition to our house (added in the 70's I'm guessing; nobody knows) has wood siding. No idea what type though. It does need re-staining sooner than later.
    So, since you guys got me thinking about it, does it need to be sanded back or can I just clean it (power wash?) and apply stain over it.
    This is project #526 in a series but it should probably be done this year or next.
    As long as it's not paint and chipping, I'd powerwash and have at it. Of course, I'm pretty lazy..

Mike
    If I wanted to stain my house---the #'s were in the thousands

Hey!--Gray is a colour---and makes me cool in West Virginia
    As long as it's not paint and chipping, I'd powerwash and have at it. Of course, I'm pretty lazy..

Mike

Its more of a faded and worn looking stain with the added bonus of some lichen growing on the north aspects! No woodpecker holes (the northern flicker that frequents likes to drum on the metal flashing) but a lot of small nail holes for old heat tape, co-ax, etc.

Also, Stanley Cup Final begins soon with PIT vs. WAS!
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Its more of a faded and worn looking stain with the added bonus of some lichen growing on the north aspects! No woodpecker holes (the northern flicker that frequents likes to drum on the metal flashing) but a lot of small nail holes for old heat tape, co-ax, etc.

Also, Stanley Cup Final begins soon with PIT vs. WAS!

Tv's on, how about those Oilers..

Mike
    Hell yes, good to see them win last night!
    Ah -Hem---Sens
    Bushart wrote: »
    Ah -Hem---Sens

Good season but now they are just a potential speed bump for the Pens or Caps.
    We sold Hardieplank at the last place I worked. It amuses me because the "grain" is a raised surface. Still there after you paint it. With wood siding, the grain can't be seen after painting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.