Home The Lodge

Threat Level

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,255 Senior Member
    Cuddy wrote: »
    LOL

If we can throw health care in there as well, it'll be the trifecta of internet arguments.

Trying my best to keep the lights on!
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,479 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    No Muslims around to radicalize him.

so you're going to deny muslims access to the internet? because that's the favored vehicle for radicals these days
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 353 Senior Member
    Don't forget that we'd have to prevent people from converting to Islam.
    It's an impossible task to prevent terrorism. Authorities can take real steps to prevent attacks on mass groups of people, like on planes, at football games, etc, etc. Other than that, just get on with our lives and realize that the chances of being a victim is miniscule.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Not religion, region.

The major attacks in US have been carried out by Saudi's. There seems to be a problem restricting them. Oh look there's another hotel..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    Most attacks lately have been carried out by "lone wolfs" and they are citizens

Mike

And that's more worrisome than if it were a refugee. We all inderstood there was a possibility that there could be an extremist mixed in with the majority of peaceful ones. That it's homebrewed makes you wonder if it really could be about the religion.
    And that's more worrisome than if it were a refugee. We all inderstood there was a possibility that there could be an extremist mixed in with the majority of peaceful ones. That it's homebrewed makes you wonder if it really could be about the religion.

I think it's more about radicalization..

Mike
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    Hate to serve one up in the punch bowl----but this does'nt make peace easy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/imam-sermon-montreal-mosque-1.4037397
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,443 Senior Member
    It's also a severe threat when it's YOUR wife, child, mother, dying. It's one thing when our youth are dying on the front fighting for western values. Its a totally different when they are being mowed down in the street, and our only response is lighting a candle and raising the threat level

No.

This is an emotional response. It tells us nothing about how we should actually weigh the risks involved. There are costs associated with everything we choose to do, including overestimating the threat.
    I'm guessing that they wouldn't have allowed a German living in Britain the same freedoms that the latest attacker had during the battle either.

The subject in question is a British subject, born in 1963, no terror convictions or activity. Bad example.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    so you're going to deny muslims access to the internet? because that's the favored vehicle for radicals these days
    No, just keep them off UK soil. If his father hadn't emigrated there, he wouldn't have been born there, and couldn't have murdered innocent actual Brits.

This guy was no more a Brit then I am.
    What is an actual Brit? A Scot, Welsh, Irish Celts, Druids.. Is it like an actual American?

Mike
    Is it like an actual American?

Navajo, Cheyenne, Sioux, Mohawk....?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    What is an actual Brit? A Scot, Welsh, Irish Celts, Druids.. Is it like an actual American?

Mike
    Someone who wouldn't harm the country they reside in nor their fellow citizens. As soon as Jews and Catholics start doing this crap, they can kick them out as well.
    Methinks someone trollest us.
    sherb wrote: »
    Methinks someone trollest us.

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!

Mike
    No.

This is an emotional response. It tells us nothing about how we should actually weigh the risks involved. There are costs associated with everything we choose to do, including overestimating the threat.
    Lets break this down to this one case. The threat level was at SEVERE in the UK. According to reports today they had evidence that this person was know as extremist. The cost of underestimating this threat was 4 dead and 40 injured.

The subject in question is a British subject, born in 1963, no terror convictions or activity. Bad example.
    The attacker behind the terrorist rampage at the gates of the Houses of Parliament has been named by police as Khalid Masood, 52, who was born in Kent and had previously been convicted of violent offenses.

The assailant, who was shot dead on Wednesday as he attacked police officers in the shadow of Big Ben, had been known to MI5 but was considered to be a peripheral figure and had fallen from the intelligence picture.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/23/westminster-attack-police-arrest-seven-people-in-raids-at-six-addresses
    Your link states he was known as a criminal and not a terrorist..

Mike
    Your link states he was known as a criminal and not a terrorist..

Mike

"The assailant, who was shot dead on Wednesday as he attacked police officers in the shadow of Big Ben, had been known to MI5 but was considered to be a peripheral figure and had fallen from the intelligence picture."
    "The Metropolitan police said Masood had previous convictions for a number of violent offences, including grievous bodily harm and assault, but had never been found guilty of terror offences. His first conviction was in November 1983 for criminal damage and his last was in December 2003 for possession of a knife, police said."

Same Article..

Mike
    "The Metropolitan police said Masood had previous convictions for a number of violent offences, including grievous bodily harm and assault, but had never been found guilty of terror offences. His first conviction was in November 1983 for criminal damage and his last was in December 2003 for possession of a knife, police said."

Same Article..

Mike
    I read it. But MI5 is Military Intelligence, much different than the Metro police. This guy was on MI5 radar at one time. That IMO is significant. I think what this boils down to is what I heard a MI5 agent report a few years ago. There are too many of them to track them all.
    Lets break this down to this one case. The threat level was at SEVERE in the UK. According to reports today they had evidence that this person was know as extremist. The cost of underestimating this threat was 4 dead and 40 injured.

How do you know they underestimated the threat? Because an attack happened? You cannot avoid them all no matter what you do.
    "The police and security services monitor about 3,000 Britons, mainly Islamists, whom they regard as potentially capable of domestic terrorism. Of these, about 500 are the subject of active investigations and only a limited number become the targets of physical surveillance. The Guardian understands the attacker was not one of them. He was regarded as posing so little threat that he did not even make the list of 3,000."

Mike
    I read it. But MI5 is Military Intelligence, much different than the Metro police. This guy was on MI5 radar at one time. That IMO is significant. I think what this boils down to is what I heard a MI5 agent report a few years ago. There are too many of them to track them all.

It always seems like these guys were previously "interviewed by police", or "on the radar", or something like that. Not many of them seem to just come out of the woodwork. So intelligence agencies are doing a good job, but it comes back to the question of what to do with somebody who has potential to do violence, but hasn't acted on it.
    Like it or lump it, they have rights.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,683 Senior Member
    Hey Buffy - The Catholics have been doing it for over the century, although they have been relatively quiet for a few years. They did not use knives or drive cars into crowds; their preferred weapons were guns and stuff like bombs in baby carriages left on London's streets. I missed being blown up at a London bus stop on Oxford St., across from Selfridge's, in 1980 by three, THREE freaking minutes.

Also, this **** is far more British than you are since we severed ties back in the late 1800s, and his father or grandfather was a British subject, a colonial like Americans used to be.

And MikeA, there is a most excellent reason, aside from that's what separates us from them, to do everything possible to save the life of a wounded terrorist: a corpse is very difficult to interrogate.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    George K wrote: »
    Hey Buffy - The Catholics have been doing it for over the century, although they have been relatively quiet for a few years. They did not use knives or drive cars into crowds; their preferred weapons were guns and stuff like bombs in baby carriages left on London's streets. I missed being blown up at a London bus stop on Oxford St., across from Selfridge's, in 1980 by three, THREE freaking minutes.

Also, this **** is far more British than you are since we severed ties back in the late 1800s, and his father or grandfather was a British subject, a colonial like Americans used to be.

And MikeA, there is a most excellent reason, aside that's what separates us from them, to do everything possible to save the life of a wounded terrorist: a corpse is very difficult to interrogate.

Its not an "aside." Its everything, and I grow weary of defending our values, not just from terrorists, but from the terrorized.

Buck up. Or as the Brits say. . .

keep-calm-and-carry-on.png
    Always pickin on us Jewish-Catholics

That's it---I'm turnin Mormon---anybody got Shawn's #---I hear he's winnin a case of beer soon
    I'm there
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Man, the next attack on U.S. soil is going to be a political cluster-***. I wonder how much of our value system is going to go down the drain along with the innocent lives lost.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Man, the next attack on U.S. soil is going to be a political cluster-***. I wonder how much of our value system is going to go down the drain along with the innocent lives lost.

It'll be---Remember Freedom

Cuz that's what this minority takes from the use of fear
    Its not an "aside." Its everything, and I grow weary of defending our values, not just from terrorists, but from the terrorized. [/IMG]

That pretty much sums it up for me.. We are not like them ever..

Mike
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Yes, well said Sheb and Mike.

Mike, what in the hell is an Alter Kaker?
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Yes, well said Sheb and Mike.

Mike, what in the hell is an Alter Kaker?

Steven put me on to it. Think old f**ker..

Mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement