I Admit I'm More Naive on Racism Than I Thought

BushartBushart Senior MemberPosts: 1,793 Senior Member
First I was leaning towards too many people are over sensitive and the race card is really overplayed---I get it exists...but it seems for every turn it was being used....with varying Races

Maybe I'm secluded where I am and for most it's an every day occurrence --and I'm ignorant of the facts---Being a "Live and let live" person I actually never consider this,that often

Having an Irish last name---I've heard often how I must just like to drink and fight----yeah ha ha---and we move on

Well I learned something today while researching an art project I'm working on....Somebody wants me to paint them a farm sign incl their name with some sort of Antique farm equipment

So from time to time I "Google" images for details /ideas etc.....Well I searched "Antique farm equipment" images and was very shocked what was being put there.

I will not post this link due to it's content---if you wish---giver it a look

But I think there's trouble brewing when people go to this effort to promote Racism

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,320 Senior Member
    Wish I hadn't read this thread. Not that I'm mad at you, Bushart. But sometimes I'd rather remain ignorant...
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    At 1st I did'nt know what the heck was going on---again shocked
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,341 Senior Member
    I'll admit, I didn't see what you were getting at. So I had to google.

It wasn't what I was expecting, despite being obvious in hindsight.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I don't think this **** will ever totally go away.. I think it is important to know it still exists..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    We think we evolved and thru education we are moving fwd

Apparently some one or group has gone to some effort to do this
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,689 Senior Member
    Come on. This is not indicative of anything. It is easy to boost an image, search term, anything to the top of Google. There are websites that do this for **** and giggles.

4chan comes to mind. And this is no where near the worst thing they've promoted. All you need is a few internet accessible basements with guys who are smart enough to hide behind a proxy, and they can do anything in complete anonymity.

The was a Dutch born special forces member who ran off to Syria and joined ISIS a while back. He posted two AMA's on Reddit. He never finished the second one, because he was killed in a drone strike. 4chan and Reddit both took the credit for hacking his coordinates.

Apropros of nothing, but to point out that it only takes a handful of computer savvy individuals to get their kicks from trolling. I certainly wouldn't take it to be any commentary on race relations in general.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    You're probably right, but it is disconcerting when this stuff keeps coming up..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Admitted I'm not the Most computer savvy

But over many years I've googled many images---never ever Have I stumbled on this stuff
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,724 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Dutch born

In skimming your response I was sure that you had typed "Dutch ****." I don't know if that says something about you or me.
    I'm still unsure what Anyone or group has to gain by doing this

If it's as Buffy says---what do you gain?

I get why racist groups do it
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,862 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I'll admit, I didn't see what you were getting at. So I had to google.

It wasn't what I was expecting, despite being obvious in hindsight.

Actually I had some idiot at a show tell me I should use it as one of my jokes. I did not have to google.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Come on. This is not indicative of anything. It is easy to boost an image, search term, anything to the top of Google. There are websites that do this for **** and giggles.

4chan comes to mind. And this is no where near the worst thing they've promoted. All you need is a few internet accessible basements with guys who are smart enough to hide behind a proxy, and they can do anything in complete anonymity.

The was a Dutch born special forces member who ran off to Syria and joined ISIS a while back. He posted two AMA's on Reddit. He never finished the second one, because he was killed in a drone strike. 4chan and Reddit both took the credit for hacking his coordinates.

Apropros of nothing, but to point out that it only takes a handful of computer savvy individuals to get their kicks from trolling. I certainly wouldn't take it to be any commentary on race relations in general.

Does it need to be at the top to indicate that there are some really racist idiots out there? Do you know how many times I do shows where people think it is cool to share with me some really hateful jokes? I really do not have a problem with ethnic humor, but hateful, I do.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,794 Senior Member
    Wish I hadn't read this thread. Not that I'm mad at you, Bushart. But sometimes I'd rather remain ignorant...

Ignorance is freedom

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Bushart wrote: »
    I'm still unsure what Anyone or group has to gain by doing this

If it's as Buffy says---what do you gain?

I get why racist groups do it
    Because it's funny. To them.

No other meaning or reason need to be applied. You guys are putting too much thought into this.
    Why would something so hateful and demeaning be funny to them?
    Does it need to be at the top to indicate that there are some really racist idiots out there? Do you know how many times I do shows where people think it is cool to share with me some really hateful jokes? I really do not have a problem with ethnic humor, but hateful, I do.
    Good grief. No one is saying there are no racist idiots.

A Google image says nothing about racism in America. That was my point.
    Good grief. No one is saying there are no racist idiots.

A Google image says nothing about racism in America. That was my point.

Well you certainly seem to have an interest in diminishing its existence.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,724 Senior Member
    Why would something so hateful and demeaning be funny to them?

As Hextall was fond of saying: "Because, rubes."
    Well they may be trolling---but they still had to dream this up---Freud steps in Dr.

This was my surprise in my search---because I could'nt imagine thinking along these lines

I will give you the road Buff tho on Idiots
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,361 Senior Member
    First I was leaning towards too many people are over sensitive and the race card is really overplayed

Yes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Well you certainly seem to have an interest in diminishing its existence.
    No. You're inferring, subjecting, etc. I am speaking about not allowing a Google image to determine the state of racism in this country, which you are interpreting as me saying racism doesn't exist.
    No I am saying it is not as insignificant an indicator as you would like to believe. That is what you are determined to diminish, the reason of which escapes me. That meme is older than the internet and is promulgated by racists all over this country. I would like to someday get to understand why some people become so defensive whenever this issue is pointed out.
    It may not be indicative on the State of the country on whole

It is still however disturbing these exist in public for all to see (or private)
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,361 Senior Member
    So what happens when you google "modern farm equipment"?

;)

So what happens when you google "modern farm equipment"?

;)

Tyson CEO bending over an Iowa chicken farmer behind the bank
    Tyson CEO bending over an Iowa chicken farmer behind the bank

****. I lol'ed.

Also, the chicken farmer has a Senator's lips around his turkey-neck. ****ing subsidies.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    I just finished reading Levon Helm's autobiography (This Wheel's on Fire- I recommend it), and Don Tyson was mentioned a few times. He was a fan and supporter of The Band. When they were filming The Last Waltz, he used the Tyson corporate jet to fly a bunch of the group's friends from Arkansas to California. Same thing happened when Levon died, he gave them use of the jet.

Going to start Robbie Robertson's new book (Testimony) soon, to get the other side of the story.
    Cuddy wrote: »
    I just finished reading Levon Helm's autobiography (This Wheel's on Fire- I recommend it), and Don Tyson was mentioned a few times. He was a fan and supporter of The Band. When they were filming The Last Waltz, he used the Tyson corporate jet to fly a bunch of the group's friends from Arkansas to California. Same thing happened when Levon died, he gave them use of the jet.

Going to start Robbie Robertson's new book (Testimony) soon, to get the other side of the story.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Levon and Robbie never made up----What happened to Richard Manuel did'nt help

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file