Home The Lodge

Comments and questions on America

CuddyCuddy Senior MemberPosts: 345 Senior Member
Preface this to say, we visit the States a couple of times a year, and these are things I've noticed over the past while. Not just from a single trip to Florida last week.

- The average American seems to be growing in girth at about 10% per year. I was caught staring a few times.

- Only 1 person talked to us about Trump. A couple from North Carolina, who brought it up themselves. They apologized for electing him.

- Your interstate system in really very good. Like, very good.

- Foodservice people don't seem to want to be there or enjoy their jobs. Exception to this is waiters and waitresses. Can't recall a crappy one. I'm talking people who work on counters or drive-thrus. Not as noticeable in Canada.

- Your credit card/debit systems are about 10 years behind Canada and Europe. Why? Why is it so difficult (impossible?!) to process a Canadian credit card at a gas pump? Pay at the table with a portable machine in a restaurant? Such foolishness! Tap and go? Forget about it! And I can't remember the last time I had to actually sign my signature in Canada.

- Noticed an uptick in "Jesus saves"-type shirts this time. A noticeable uptick. That was weird.

- Generally speaking though, we're all the same. Never met any more **** in the US as I have anywhere else. I believe people are nice everywhere.

Last but not least- how many of you are in electric scooters right now? C'mon, fess up!

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,214 Senior Member
    Cuddy wrote: »
    Preface this to say, we visit the States a couple of times a year, and these are things I've noticed over the past while. Not just from a single trip to Florida last week.

- The average American seems to be growing in girth at about 10% per year. I was caught staring a few times.

Probably
    - Only 1 person talked to us about Trump. A couple from North Carolina, who brought it up themselves. They apologized for electing him.

We save this for the internet. Did you say, "No problem, we elected a 12 year old?"

Never know when you're going to need to get tanks from one end of the country to the other.
    - Foodservice people don't seem to want to be there or enjoy their jobs. Exception to this is waiters and waitresses. Can't recall a crappy one. I'm talking people who work on counters or drive-thrus. Not as noticeable in Canada.

Can you blame them?
    - Your credit card/debit systems are about 10 years behind Canada and Europe. Why? Why is it so difficult (impossible?!) to process a Canadian credit card at a gas pump? Pay at the table with a portable machine in a restaurant? Such foolishness! Tap and go? Forget about it! And I can't remember the last time I had to actually sign my signature in Canada.

We finally got chip cards. It was widely considered too costly to convert for a long time. We had the largest base in the world so not surprising.

I've never really liked having to deal with the card machines like you do in Europe (and I guess Canada now).
    - Noticed an uptick in "Jesus saves"-type shirts this time. A noticeable uptick. That was weird.

Me too, but I moved to Iowa.
    - Generally speaking though, we're all the same.

No...we're exceptional. You're Canadian :)

Last but not least- how many of you are in electric scooters right now? C'mon, fess up!

Innocent of all charges...
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,943 Senior Member

Agree. Probably due to two factors: cheap food and ill-advised nutrition advice

It should be. At one time, it was the largest construction project ever undertaken.

Agree. Antiquated compared to Europe.

- Generally speaking though, we're all the same. Never met any more **** in the US as I have anywhere else. I believe people are nice everywhere.

In BC, people were super-friendly. Its like a less populated version of Washington State (also a very friendly place). I thought people in Quebec were more standoffish.

This is my biggest pet peeve with America right now (besides electing that moron). It shocks me to see people our age putting around Walmart in these scooters.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 345 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Agree. Probably due to two factors: cheap food and ill-advised nutrition advice

I found that the food prices at the supermarket/WalMart were about the same as Canada, even factoring in the exchange rate. But restaurants are a lot cheaper, and portion sizes are out of control.
    We always use the Dining Plan at Disney, and we can never use all the points. Mostly the kids will share a meal at lunch, and have leftovers besides. Maybe they are catering to their clientele, but holy crap, the size of the quick serve lunches are really over the top. Table service dinners are average.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    If you think there's a lot of obese people in FL, go to Mississippi....
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    What's the difference in European credit card processes vs ours?

Chili's has a pay at the table system but I haven't found this anywhere else.
    And you were in the South. Of course you're going to see Jesus Saves slogans.

Well, Florida isn't really the South anymore due to the Yankees, but still.
    Buffco wrote: »
    What's the difference in European credit card processes vs ours?

Chili's has a pay at the table system but I haven't found this anywhere else.

Mainly the pay at the table machines you mentioned, the tap-and-go and greatly reduced need for signatures.
    Buffco wrote: »
    And you were in the South. Of course you're going to see Jesus Saves slogans.

Well, Florida isn't really the South anymore due to the Yankees, but still.

Yeah, I've always seen them, but noticed a number more this time around.
    Ever thought that maybe it's a sign?
    Mainly the pay at the table machines you mentioned, the tap-and-go and greatly reduced need for signatures.
    I do wish we had tap and go. Hell I want an app where I use only my cell phone for banking. Tap with my cell, instantly view the debit and show pending payments that are automatically set up.

It's too cumbersome to view my bank online and there are still a few checks in the mail that I have to remember. I haven't used a checkbook register in over a decade.
    Of the apocalypse?
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    OK----did the missus have to question ya about having Snow White's lipstick on your collar??
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Yeah, I've always seen them, but noticed a number more this time around.

See any Temples? Asking for a friend in Utah..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    In Miami, but that's different.
    Steven wrote: »
    In Miami, but that's different.
    ...the great thing about Miami is that it's so close to the United States....
    After a day in Miami, I swore I would never wear Bermuda shorts- EVER!!

Mike
    ricinus wrote: »
    After a day in Miami, I swore I would never wear Bermuda shorts- EVER!!

Mike

How do you expect to be an Alter Kaker if you don't wear Bermuda shorts?
    You know how to tell if someone's old?

They use the term "Bermuda shorts."
    Steven wrote: »
    How do you expect to be an Alter Kaker if you don't wear Bermuda shorts?

This might be my undoing.. ;)

Mike
    You know how to tell if someone's old?

They use the term "Bermuda shorts."

Ha...

Mike
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,393 Senior Member
    I'm talking people who work on counters or drive-thrus.

If you worked the window in Winter, and you were shot with the old style water, fire extinguishers, you might be surly. True story.

On the bright side there was woman in the car who.....never mind.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    If you worked the window in Winter, and you were shot with the old style water, fire extinguishers, you might be surly. True story.

On the bright side there was woman in the car who.....never mind.

DUDE!!...Up Top...Not on the extinguisher mind you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement