Speech anyone?

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 6,583 Senior Member
So, what did we think about Trump's speech?

Even though I disagree with most of what he said I appreciated the tone. Very short on specifics but it was a good start on perhaps turning around the disastrous first month. Maybe he will realize all of the negativity is a drain on everybody.

He also went full Carl Sagan with a "billions and billions."

Replies

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,854 Senior Member
    I watched most of it, gave up when he rattled off the murder rate myth. I was hoping, foolishly maybe but I was hoping for some sort of effort on unity. It didn't happen and I don't think it will ever happen while he is in office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,637 Senior Member
    I thought he did a great job. But I'm a rightward.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,942 Senior Member
    I thought he did quite well.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    I watched it. He definitely came across as more Presidential, and stuck a more even-temperd tone. Nice to see him not talk about his "great victory" and **** on the media. It's just 1 speech, so I don't think anything's really changed.
    A couple of things that jumped out at me though:

1) In the same speech, he complained about Obama's huge deficits, promised to lower taxes, AND spend a $1 trillion on infrastructure. I'd like to see the math on that.
    2) What the hell is this VOICE business? Don't you already have police to investigate crimes? ICE to investigate illegal immigrants? Just seems sinister as **** to me.

Complete lack of details and specifics once again, but I really don't know it that's what this type of event is all about.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,426 Senior Member
    Ya have to ask yourself when Trump says that the Trillions of dollars spent on the middle east would have rebuilt the infrastructure many times over

Now when he says this---Do the eyes of long serving Rep Sens like McConnell stare at their shoes?

Uhhh...we inherited this mess---but from who?
    Bushart wrote: »

Uhhh...we inherited this mess---but from who?
    Bought and paid for elected officials, i.e. Washington.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,436 Senior Member
    Does anyone else besides me think that applause should be held until the end. Clap, stand up, sit down, repeat every 1/2 sentence. So stupid.
    His tribute to Ryan Owens was moving. I've watched in disgust as the MSM drug that mans name through the mud like a political football. Trump and Mattis put things right.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    His tribute to Ryan Owens was moving. I've watched in disgust as the MSM drug that mans name through the mud like a political football. Trump and Mattis put things right.

word on the street is folks within the special op community are not happy to be working under this guy......he has convinced more than a few to start getting retirement papers in order, many long before they had planned to
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,693 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

I cannot remember an NR article that I agreed with more. They haven't gotten any better since 2014 and last night's SOTU wannabe was among the worst in recent memory.

I thought exploiting Ryan's widow of three weeks for cheap political theater was appalling; yet another demonstration that Trump and his minions are utterly lacking in basic human decency or anything resembling good taste or decorum.

p.s. A little fact checking by the AP: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRUMP_SPEECH_FACT_CHECK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-03-01-08-44-31
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 913 Senior Member
    Yes, his tone was better.

I too would like to see the math in connection with big spending increases and big tax breaks not jacking the deficit. Reagan and GW Bush said the same thing--that the boost in the economy from cutting taxes actually generates more tax revenue than is lost from the cuts. That. Did. Not. Happen. Then. And. Will. Not. Happen. Now.
    George K wrote: »
    I cannot remember an NR article that I agreed with more. They haven't gotten any better since 2014 and last night's SOTU wannabe was among the worst in recent memory.

I thought exploiting Ryan's widow of three weeks for cheap political theater was appalling; yet another demonstration that Trump and his minions are utterly lacking in basic human decency or anything resembling good taste or decorum.

^^^^^ this
    Right... And suggesting that the man died for nothing just so your paper can bash Trump was a way better example of human decency. Can't we all at least agree that honoring our fallen is admirable??
    when done simply for the sake of honoring the fallen, yes

and questioning those who make the decisions to put our servicemen & women in harms way is also admirable, especially when many question the planning & purpose of this mission.....including those who were on it
    MikeA wrote: »
    Right... And suggesting that the man died for nothing just so your paper can bash Trump was a way better example of human decency. Can't we all at least agree that honoring our fallen is admirable??

It is admirable. I think like George, that it was political hay at best and given his comments about it earlier in the day, where he took no responsibility for the mission in which he died. Trump went as far as to blame Obama for it.

Trump is the president, he gave the the order, he needs to take responsibility.

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    It is admirable. I think like George, that it was political hay at best and given his comments about it earlier in the day, where he took no responsibility for the mission in which he died. Trump went as far as to blame Obama for it.

Trump is the president, he gave the the order, he needs to take responsibility.

Nicely put..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    We all know people like Trump who claim credit for things they did not do, and blame others for their own screw-ups.

There are conflicting reports on whether or not this raid was sent to the White House staff for approval under Obama, as to what it's purpose was, why the pre-raid intelligence was so bad and if the Seals were betrayed by one of our gallant Saudi allies in on the planning. Reporting these things and doing internal investigations in no way denigrates the memory of CPO Owens.

Exploiting his widow of three weeks for cheap political gain is truly shameless.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I thought the speech was like a dog walking on its hind legs. Unexpectedly skilled, but so what? His proposals were still vague and unconnected to reality.
    And so we take a young woman who just lost her husband a few weeks ago and have her stand there while people applaud her like SHE was a hero. She was clearly uncomfortable with it. It was exploitation.
    She came there on her own free will knowing full well what was going to take place. To me it looked more like setting the record straight about the mission.

This was exploitation
    3A2268B500000578-3911704-image-a-17_1478486968285.jpg

Her husband was killed three weeks ago, she was in no emotional condition to have made that decision wisely. Been there, done that and I think that anyone else who has lost a spouse would agree.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Statistically speaking, the odds are that Trumps story about the success of the raid was just another baldfaced lie. Anyone who thinks that generals tell the truth has never been in the military.
    George K wrote: »

Her husband was killed three weeks ago, she was in no emotional condition to have made that decision wisely. Been there, done that and I think that anyone else who has lost a spouse would agree.

And I think it wouldn't have been nearly as big of a deal had the media not tried to **** on the man's legacy before he was in the ground in order to make Trump look bad. But they did, so I think what he did was the right thing to do. The left side of the aisle even seemed to agree on this one. We'll have to disagree I suppose.

Edit to add that I would always err on the side of Hero in situations like this.This last mission was just a tiny part of the man that we lost. He was and should be treated like Americas finest. Period. What better way then to do it than with the the eyes of the country watching.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,941 Senior Member
    How did the media **** on his legacy? By pointing out that the various stories about the operation conflict?

I don't see that as belittlement anymore than reporting that Pat Tillman was killed by friendly fire after the army first claimed it was enemy fire defiles Tillman's heroism and patriotism.

It's like you're blaming the kid who was willing to say that the Emperor was naked.
    creekguy wrote: »
    Statistically speaking, the odds are that Trumps story about the success of the raid was just another baldfaced lie. Anyone who thinks that generals tell the truth has never been in the military.

i can assure you with 100% certainty that it is a lie
    tim_s wrote: »
    i can assure you with 100% certainty that it is a lie

Of that I have no doubt. Its going to take quite some time for this citizen to trust this president if he were to never tell a lie again.

No matter how many times they keep saying the mission was planned by the Obama admin. Obama didn't pull the trigger.

Of that I have no doubt. Its going to take quite some time for this citizen to trust this president if he were to never tell a lie again.

No matter how many times they keep saying the mission was planned by the Obama admin. Obama didn't pull the trigger.

mission had been in early planning stages for some time, yes

it was launched hastily on shaky intel and plan was never really fully fleshed out.....it was rushed

no strategic or intelligence advantage was gained

what's weird is most of our ops in yemen to this point had been drone or missile attacks

boots on the ground in yemen are not pleased
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,941 Senior Member
    Well the president acts on information given to them by military leaders in order to make a decision. Soldiers die everyday under the watch of the President. Blaming the guy who approves the mission and not those who planned it is just political theatrics in my opinion.

Similar crap happened under Obama...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/20/families-suspect-seal-team-6-crash-was-inside-job-/
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,194 Senior Member
    It was a good solid speech with some strong moments. Not surprising, Ivanka and Jared were all over the process.

I think it was Reagan who first brought normal people into the House in order to make his points. I wish he hadn't. I find it utterly distasteful no matter who does it. I wish it would stop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.