Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,194 Senior Member
    They're already beta-testing these things on the Southside.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,557 Senior Member
    According to Cheeto Jesus, they should be, since the Southside is about on par with Mosul.
    I was talking about the Gangster Disciples, not the Army.
    I got the joke, yes. sorry for the gratuitous political commentary.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    When will they be for sale at gun shops?

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    With a license, sure. Idaho had to ban Elk Hunting with Ma Duece's because guys were bolting the tripod in the bed of their pickups and blasting Elk 1000 yards away. Now the weapon can only weigh a maximum of 16 lbs. And with the M2's receiver clocking in at 70 lbs. . .doesn't make the cut.
    ricinus wrote: »
    When will they be for sale at gun shops?

Mike

Why wait? Just go down to 77th and Stony Island.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,576 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    With a license, sure. Idaho had to ban Elk Hunting with Ma Duece's because guys were bolting the tripod in the bed of their pickups and blasting Elk 1000 yards away. Now the weapon can only weigh a maximum of 16 lbs. And with the M2's receiver clocking in at 70 lbs. . .doesn't make the cut.

No way. I mean, lots of mouth breathers in ID but really???
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member

Kinda ruined the roasts and tenderloin though..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,426 Senior Member
    They will be for sale at the back of the Gun Show---No ID req'd

1st 25 buyers get the 81 Chevy Chevette turret adapter plate

Cash only...no refunds...NRA card req'd at purchase time
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    No way. I mean, lots of mouth breathers in ID but really???

It was well documented at the time. Check out IDFG's hunting regs. Its in there.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,692 Senior Member
    M2s and Dusters were good stuff in my experience. Oh, and 105mm bee hive rounds as well. Those, napalm from carrier-based jets and Puffs are the reasons my comely **** still is around today.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    You have GOT to tell me some of your James Bond stories someday.
    George, when you say "puffs" are you referring to the AC-47 gunships?

You were artillery, right?
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    George, when you say "puffs" are you referring to the AC-47 gunships?

You were artillery, right?

Yes, but one night my battery and a troop of cav (150 of us roughly) were attacked by 600-900 VC and NVA regulars. All the stuff I mentioned plus a lot of M14 and AR15 rounds kept all but a few of us alive; 60-70% casualties, but alive. I owe my no cost $7,000 VA hearing aids to a Chinese-made mortar round that night.

Thank you my fellow taxpayers. :)
    George K wrote: »
    Yes, but one night my battery and a troop of cav (150 of us roughly) were attacked by 600-900 VC and NVA regulars. All the stuff I mentioned plus a lot of M14 and AR15 rounds kept all but a few of us alive; 60-70% casualties, but alive. I owe my no cost $7,000 VA hearing aids to a Chinese-made mortar round that night.

**** George. I've only seen stuff like that in films. I didn't know you were actually in the **** like that.
    That sounds absolutely terrifying.
    Buffco wrote: »
    **** George. I've only seen stuff like that in films. I didn't know you were actually in the **** like that.

Yeah, as he described it I was thinking of the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley which was popularized in "We Were Soldiers."
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    1st 25 buyers get the 81 Chevy Chevette turret adapter plate

Thank goodness for that. The Ford Pinto adapter was worthless. The cars kept exploding from the recoil.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,426 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    Thank goodness for that. The Ford Pinto adapter was worthless. The cars kept exploding from the recoil.

Ha ha---yes Ford Pinto owners seem to suffer from Infernaphobia
    Fired a 50 cal single shot bolt action. Kick wasn't bad, but that concussive blast.. ****.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,942 Senior Member

A lot of .50 BMG caliber rifles out there available to the public.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,311 Senior Member

My underwear would still be soiled.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Buffco wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ap_Bau_Bang_II

This is drawn from cav reports, but is accurate save for omitting that our artillery battery perimeter at one time was pushed back to within a few yards of the 105s. Bee hive rounds for teh win!

As gruesome as it was it was nothing compared to what the infantry grunts (Army and Gomers) and swift boat guys had to go through time and time again.

I'm not sure why, but all of my buddies and I came back and got on with our lives, including those who were Army and Marine grunts. Perhaps I'm insensitive, but I've never had an overabundance of sympathy for the "Nam effed me up, man" crowd. I don't mean those with real PTSD, but rather the whiners and slackers who use a year there as an excuse for being eff-ups all the lives.
    I thought you were Foreign Department when you went over there?
    Steven wrote: »
    I thought you were Foreign Department when you went over there?

No. Draftee 1965-1967 out of college, private sector '67-'70, Foreign Service '70-'95 after which a combination of self employment, private sector and developing civil service exams for PA. I'm now fully retired and am able to remain so unless the market tanks and Trump/Ryan mess with my pension.
    Gomers?

Dang, ok. I get it now.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,311 Senior Member
    No. Draftee 1965-1967 out of college, private sector '67-'70, Foreign Service '70-'95 after which a combination of self employment, private sector and developing civil service exams for PA. I'm now fully retired and am able to remain so unless the market tanks and Trump/Ryan mess with my pension.

So what will you be doing?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

My dad had hearing loss too, a result of placing the aid station he worked at next to an ARVN battery.

I heard stories like this all the time growing up, so I was used to it. But one time, he and his buddies started talking and laughing (not in a funny way, more in a "hey you remember that time" way) about the PAVN shelling them and how they killed a bunch of SF guys up at the SF base that was overrun by tanks, Lang Vei. Anyway, I look over at my wife, and her face is as white as a sheet. She had never heard anything like this. Different family experiences I guess.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 912 Senior Member

This taxpayer is more than happy to be involved in funding your hearing aid. It is the least that can be done. Thank you for your service, sir.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.