Obama says call your Reps.

And **** the Orange American uses the shell game approach.

Obama's best line. "American's voted for divided government, not dysfunctional government."

Replies

• Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    I've been toying with the idea of calling the Republican reps and shouting at them that I'm a proud Tea Party member and I don't want them to compromise with Obama, no matter what.

I suspect if the Republicans walk away from the table and all hell breaks loose as a result, they will take a kick in the gonads in the next election.

bd
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Trampled to death by old folks with walkers is not how I'd want my obituary to read.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Tried sending my Congresspuke an email but the servers are down. I think O got his point across in Colorado.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    I wrote mine again (and senators) today and said pretty much the same thing as last week. Haven't heard a peep from any of them. Maybe they are getting flooded.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Our local (very conservative, but not really tea party) republican congressman, Doc Hastings, is apparently getting bombarded. Server for his official web site has been overloaded since the speech.
  • P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    I don't have to, McDermott always has my back. Love the guy
    Congressman Jim McDermott
    My reaction to tonight's debt speeches: If the Tea Party Republicans in the House of Representatives don’t want to pay for the wars Republicans started and the taxes Republicans cut for the wealthy, and they also want to end our social safety nets, that’s not the America I know and think we should have. It’s time to end this circus and raise the debt limit, and then deal with the budget deficit.

I'm absolutely positive that the MN 6th District will listen to any letter, call or communication calling for a rationale and reasoned approach to the debt limit debate.
    P.Dieter wrote: »
    I don't have to, McDermott always has my back. Love the guy
    Yep, he's a good guy.
    Well, there's your post-partisan President.

The GOP, according to our President, protects "millionaires and billionaires," "corporate jet owners," "oil companies," "hedge fund managers (at the expense of their secretaries)," over protecting "seniors on Medicare."

Calling on citizens to overwhelm the Republicans.

Using the Whitehouse for a speech more suitable to a DNC meeting is pathetic. If I were Boehner, I'd tell the President to go eff himself - much like the Supreme Court has done.

The President doesn't get what we all learned in kindergarten. He's so smart, he's stupid.

and yet Republicans conduct a campaign of increased spending to their favorites while claiming the moral high ground regarding debt

as usual the so-called right wants to spend spend spend then hand the bill to the other guy and blame him for the problem ... you got the kindergarten part right

http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/10-inconvenient-truths-about-debt-ceiling
    Steven wrote: »

Using the Whitehouse for a speech more suitable to a DNC meeting is pathetic.

And **** handing out lobbiest checks on the floor of the house is pathetic. Rights back atcha.
    A stunning example of "whatever you say, goes back to you."
    It's about time Obama called out the gopers. He echoed my feelings about what gopers and baggers stand for. It's all about protecting the rich and well connected at the expense of the poor and middle class.
    See Butner's graphic.
    A stunning example of "whatever you say, goes back to you."

NOw if you want someone to **** about let's try the fool Wu. The Tigger suit alone should get him run out of office.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    yatahey wrote: »
    It's about time Obama called out the gopers. He echoed my feelings about what gopers and baggers stand for. It's all about protecting the rich and well connected at the expense of the poor and middle class.
    See Butner's graphic.
    Agreed on this Yat, but listening to the news today it looks like Obama and Reid are going to fold like a bad poker hand. No new taxes/revenue; spending cuts only and probably not a long term deal either. :mad:
    If this is the deal that comes out of this then I will be really upset!
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Agreed on this Yat, but listening to the news today it looks like Obama and Reid are going to fold like a bad poker hand. No new taxes/revenue; spending cuts only and probably not a long term deal either. :mad:
    If this is the deal that comes out of this then I will be really upset!

Agreed the Reid plan isn't great, but it would include no cuts to Medicare, Social Security or Medicaid. It must be a long term deal though or the whole thing is moot. Those fights could be good for the general election.
    Agreed the Reid plan isn't great, but it would include no cuts to Medicare, Social Security or Medicaid. It must be a long term deal though or the whole thing is moot. Those fights could be good for the general election.

I actually think that they shouldn't be entirely sacred. Means testing on SS, for example, would have little or no impact on those who actually NEED it -- but could reduce outlays for the programs. taking those programs entirely off the table eliminates options like that from being considered.
    I wouldn't consider that a "cut" as much as a restructuring. I would be OK with means testing. The whole business of entitlements needs to be dealt with individually and without tying it to other issues.

The GOP, according to our President, protects "millionaires and billionaires," "corporate jet owners," "oil companies," "hedge fund managers (at the expense of their secretaries)," over protecting "seniors on Medicare."

Calling on citizens to overwhelm the Republicans.

Using the Whitehouse for a speech more suitable to a DNC meeting is pathetic. If I were Boehner, I'd tell the President to go eff himself - much like the Supreme Court has done.

The President doesn't get what we all learned in kindergarten. He's so smart, he's stupid.

The above is how we know the Pres was effective.

First people whine that Obama hasn't shown the leadership he promised. Then they whine when he shows the leadership he promised. Steven, a "speech more suitable to a DNC meeting" is exactly what leadership looks like. You choose a course of action, you marshall your resources, and you call on your allies to help you execute. At the same time, you go back to the table and hammer out a deal, with "hammer" being the operative word. I resolve a lot of disputes, and I get better resolutions when I've got a hammer in my back pocket. Sometimes the other side has a hammer also, which makes my hammer all that much more important. The veto is not a hammer in this dispute, so the ability to call upon rational people to join him in taking a stand has to substitute.
    The whole business of entitlements needs to be dealt with individually and without tying it to other issues.

agreed............
    Jamespio wrote: »
    The above is how we know the Pres was effective.

First people whine that Obama hasn't shown the leadership he promised. Then they whine when he shows the leadership he promised. Steven, a "speech more suitable to a DNC meeting" is exactly what leadership looks like. You choose a course of action, you marshall your resources, and you call on your allies to help you execute. At the same time, you go back to the table and hammer out a deal, with "hammer" being the operative word. I resolve a lot of disputes, and I get better resolutions when I've got a hammer in my back pocket. Sometimes the other side has a hammer also, which makes my hammer all that much more important. The veto is not a hammer in this dispute, so the ability to call upon rational people to join him in taking a stand has to substitute.

Really, that's your definition of leadership?
    The President - not Harry Reid, Barney Frank, John Boehner and Eric Cantor - goes on National TV in the White House and gives a partisan speech like that.

That's my definition of a really bad precedent.
    The whole business of entitlements needs to be dealt with individually and without tying it to other issues.

Without an axe hanging over their collective heads, the Dems wouldn't deal with it all. Hence the debt ceiling issue.
    Gee that's really funny Steven, because the Dems have proposed restructuring and cuts in entitlement issues and the gopers turned them down because they want it all their way. My way or the hyway ended with GWB get used to it.
    [QUOTE=Steven;5890That's my definition of a really bad precedent.[/QUOTE]

You need to study your American History a little better. That speech was extremely tame by any historical standard.
    Gee that's really funny Steven, because the Dems have proposed restructuring and cuts in entitlement issues and the gopers turned them down because they want it all their way. My way or the hyway ended with GWB get used to it.

With an axe over their heads, Yat. Notice how the two are tied together?
    Without an axe hanging over their collective heads, the Dems wouldn't deal with it all. Hence the debt ceiling issue.

really?

so the whole debt problem is because of the Demon-crat entitlement mentality?

Could you please show your work?

(oh that's right I keep forgetting that Republicans spent what we didn't have because the Democrats forced them)
    You need to study your American History a little better. That speech was extremely tame by any historical standard.

Compared to campaign speeches, sure.

But from the White House? I don't think so...
    Bone up on Andrew Johnson. For a more modern precedent, look at Nixon's lapdog, Spiro Agnew.
    With an axe over their heads, Yat. Notice how the two are tied together?

Ax or no ax the gopers still turned down the deal because they want the poor and middle class to shoulder the whole burden.
    Bone up on Andrew Johnson. For a more modern precedent, look at Nixon's lapdog, Spiro Agnew.

Can't say I know much about Andrew Johnson. Pretty **** sure Spiro Agnew didn't give speeches from the White House - but maybe I'm wrong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.