Iran bombs Saudi Frigate

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 4,024 Senior Member
And it's believed that the attack may have been meant for American warship.
Right now Fox is covering it http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/31/exclusive-pentagon-believes-attack-on-saudi-frigate-meant-for-us-warship.html
CNN - too busy bashing Trump
Google news -too busy bashing Trump
Yahoo News - too busy bashing Trump

Sad what passes for news these days.

Replies

• CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    So Iranian-backed Yemeni rebels launch a suicide attack on a Saudi frigate, off the coast of Yemen. And you go with "Iran bombs Saudi Frigate"? Ok then.

But I agree with you that the media's focus on everything that the administration does, to the detriment of other news is pretty over-the-top. It's like a feeding frenzy.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    We discussed this a little while back when they were buzzing our Naval vessels. The Lodge determined that Iranian Bass Boats pose no real threat. The End.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,024 Senior Member
    Cuddy wrote: »
    So Iranian-backed Yemeni rebels launch a suicide attack on a Saudi frigate, off the coast of Yemen. And you go with "Iran bombs Saudi Frigate"? Ok then.

I learned this from the MSM. :)
    swizz wrote: »
    We discussed this a little while back when they were buzzing our Naval vessels. The Lodge determined that Iranian Bass Boats pose no real threat. The End.
    And to think that we gave them the cash for those boats that pose no threat.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    You guys know as well as I do they spent that money on hookah's and hookers.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,410 Senior Member
    EdB is gonna be pissed.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    Not big news. Last fall in two separate incidents the Iranian backed Houthi rebels fired land based surface to surface missiles at a US destroyer.

Digression: check out the Nulka decoy system: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/u-s-navy-successfully-thwarts-attack-with-first-engage-1787678550

Iran and the Saudis are fighting a proxy war in Yemen. Not sure how much we should really care.
    Not big news. Last fall in two separate incidents the Iranian backed Houthi rebels fired land based surface to surface missiles at a US destroyer.

Digression: check out the Nulka decoy system: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/u-s-navy-successfully-thwarts-attack-with-first-engage-1787678550

Iran and the Saudis are fighting a proxy war in Yemen. Not sure how much we should really care.

Right. Nothing to see here... this just in. Trump had a three piece dinner from KFC. "All White"
    MikeA wrote: »
    Right. Nothing to see here... this just in. Trump had a three piece dinner from KFC. "All White"

You choked up about the Saudis taking a hit or just mad about anything the Iranians, or their allies, do?
    You choked up about the Saudis taking a hit or just mad about anything the Iranians, or their allies, do?
    Neither.
    Just pointing out the lack of coverage. Had Trump made the Iran deal,, this would be the beginning of WWIII on the above mentioned news outlets. People are being manipulated and it's pretty pathetic.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Sounds like you're making the press out to be an enemy.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    Sounds like you're making the press out to be an enemy.

Mike

I'm not making anyone out to be enemies. Just pointing out the stark difference of reporting between the last two POTUS's. I honestly don't believe for one min that it's just Trump. These folks are dead set against anything that's not left. If any one of the other Republican candidates had won. I honestly beleive it be the exact same kind of constant attack style reporting. This should scare the hell out of anyone who truly cares about our rights.

FTR a few hours have passed and still no mention of it except on Fox. The pentagon believes the attack, launched from a country we just sent millions of dollars to, and signed a nuclear deal with,, was meant to be for a USN warship, and it's not news?
    I'm not making anyone out to be enemies. Just pointing out the stark difference of reporting between the last two POTUS's. I honestly don't believe for one min that it's just Trump. These folks are dead set against anything that's not left. If any one of the other Republican candidates had won. I honestly beleive it be the exact same kind of constant attack style reporting. This should scare the hell out of anyone who truly cares about our rights.

FTR a few hours have passed and still no mention of it except on Fox. The pentagon believes the attack, launched from a country we just sent millions of dollars to, and signed a nuclear deal with,, was meant to be for a USN warship, and it's not news?

The incident is newsworthy and I am seeing coverage online.

But, let's be honest--Fox wants to make it all about Iran. The attack was carried out by the Houthi rebels, not Iran. Yes, the Iranians support the Houthis. As I said earlier, Iran and the Saudis are engaged in a proxy war in Yemen (likewise in Syria), nothing more or nothing less. The fact they've now attacked a Saudi ship that was patrolling the Yemeni coast to intercept Iranian arms shipments to the Houthis is not a big surprise. Even if the Houthis thought they were attacking a US ship that is also not a big surprise. They already did it last fall. They also attacked and almost sunk an Emirati ship. Seems like your complaint is that the purportedly liberal media is not fanning the flames.

One final thing--the facts are unclear and both the Iranians and Saudis have been and are spinning things:

http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-bluff-houthi-attack-saudi-arabian-ship-2017-1
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,957 Senior Member
    These folks are dead set against anything that's not left. If any one of the other Republican candidates had won. I honestly beleive it be the exact same kind of constant attack style reporting. This should scare the hell out of anyone who truly cares about our rights.

FTR a few hours have passed and still no mention of it except on Fox.

The part that I bolded should inform you as to what is really going on here more than the excerpt above it.

You are worried that some major news outlets (cable outlets that all suck donkey balls, at that) aren't reporting something relatively minor about a country that your side of the aisle wants to immolate and that is a violation of our rights? What rights are being violated?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,092 Senior Member
    Cuddy wrote: »

He did say he got it from Faux News.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    This should scare the hell out of anyone who truly cares about our rights.

Why should a civil war in Yemen scare the hell out of us? And how is the issue either left or right?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Very high odds that Shawn is Iranian.
    Seize him!
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member

On notice huh. For what, the invasion of Iran that the Neocons have yearned for? Things might be coming into focus. Disturbing.

In that our regional ally Israel may be at threat? Yeah. I've long been a proponent of doing what we can, diplomatically, to keep nuclear arms out of the hands of Iran. Those of you who thought that Obama's deal with Iran was a bad thing apparently disagree with that idea. Conservatives seem to have abandoned the carrot and stick approach and advocate the use of the stick only.

But bigger picture, I really don't think Iran wants to self destruct. They aren't going to use nukes. On the list of nuclear powers, should they attain that status, I'm far more concerned about Pakistan and N. Korea. Hell, I'm more concerned with Trump's control of our arsenal than I am of a potentially nuclear Iran.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    In that our regional ally Israel may be at threat? Yeah. I've long been a proponent of doing what we can, diplomatically, to keep nuclear arms out of the hands of Iran. Those of you who thought that Obama's deal with Iran was a bad thing apparently disagree with that idea. Conservatives seem to have abandoned the carrot and stick approach and advocate the use of the stick only.

But bigger picture, I really don't think Iran wants to self destruct. They aren't going to use nukes. On the list of nuclear powers, should they attain that status, I'm far more concerned about Pakistan and N. Korea. Hell, I'm more concerned with Trump's control of our arsenal than I am of a potentially nuclear Iran.

I agree with most of what you said. I have serious doubts that Iran will honor the deal or ever intended to. Time will tell soon enough.
    Yeah, I think it was worth the effort to give them that chance. If they ever do get really close to achieving a nuclear weapon Israel will take care of that problem.

F-15I_Ra'am.JPEG
    I agree with most of what you said. I have serious doubts that Iran will honor the deal or ever intended to. Time will tell soon enough.

So much of their nukular infrastructure has been taken out that even if they do go back on their word, it would take them longer than if we didn't have a deal in place.

Michael Flynn is a paranoid conspiracy theorist. So much so he makes **** Cheney seem like a realist.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    Michael Flynn is a paranoid conspiracy theorist. So much so he makes **** Cheney seem like a realist.

...and has a hard-on for the destruction of Iran.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Short of nuking them how exactly would we or Israel win a war against Iran? Yeah, we and or the Israelis could bomb their nuclear facilities. Then what? Do people really think the Iranians would just sit back and take it? For one thing we'd totally be playing into the hands of the Iranian hardliners and totally undermine their sizable opposition that wants closer ties to the west and a more democratic country. If you start a war you have to have an idea as to how it is going to end (paging George W. Bush). Robert Gates was right when he said attacking Iran would be a mistake that we would regret for a 100 years. This is a tough situation. I don't like the Iranian regime one bit. They are monsters. But, they are trying to provoke us, like Saddam did in the years leading up to 2003. We need to ride their **** hard diplomatically, economically, and maybe with some covert ops, but not take the bait by just hauling off and bombing them. We need to be smart, not all chest thumpy just because that feels good.
    Short of nuking them how exactly would we or Israel win a war against Iran? Yeah, we and or the Israelis could bomb their nuclear facilities. Then what? Do people really think the Iranians would just sit back and take it? For one thing we'd totally be playing into the hands of the Iranian hardliners and totally undermine their sizable opposition that wants closer ties to the west and a more democratic country. If you start a war you have to have an idea as to how it is going to end (paging George W. Bush). Robert Gates was right when he said attacking Iran would be a mistake that we would regret for a 100 years. This is a tough situation. I don't like the Iranian regime one bit. They are monsters. But, they are trying to provoke us, like Saddam did in the years leading up to 2003. We need to ride their **** hard diplomatically, economically, and maybe with some covert ops, but not take the bait by just hauling off and bombing them. We need to be smart, not all chest thumpy just because that feels good.

Absolutely! Which is why I'll never understand Obama making deals with them. Let alone sending them millions of our tax dollars (Owed from 30 years ago, or not, pfft). If Trump made a similar deal with Russia, with cash being flown in overnight, in secret, and then lied about it,,, can you imagine all the collective head explosions?
    Head explosions? CNN and MRSNBC would be nominating him for peace awards. lol
    Let's face it. President Trump can do no good in their eyes. The End.
    Absolutely! Which is why I'll never understand Obama making deals with them. Let alone sending them millions of our tax dollars (Owed from 30 years ago, or not, pfft). If Trump made a similar deal with Russia, with cash being flown in overnight, in secret, and then lied about it,,, can you imagine all the collective head explosions?

We would have had to give that money regardless. There was no lie, they were going to win it in international court. If Trump actually secured a deal that had the Iranians destroy their centrifuges and cement over an enrichment facility, I would say, "Wow he really did do something smart for once." But let's get real someone stupid enough to endanger our troops by telling the soldiers they have to fight beside that he was going to steal their countries oil, is not capable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.