Hate Speech are Just Harmless Words..Correct?

BushartBushart Senior MemberPosts: 2,609 Senior Member
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-gun-shots-1.3957686

I think the match is getting closer to the fuse----We think this can't happen here----guess we're wrong

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Thoughts for the victims.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,609 Senior Member
    Yes getting shot in Church while your praying is beyond words
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,593 Senior Member
    You can't call it an act of terrorism because the perpetrators are not Muslim.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Bushart wrote: »
    Yes getting shot in Church while your praying is beyond words

Unless you are an abortion doctor, then that just comes with the job.

Ignorance and bigotry are the true enemies of peace.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,722 Senior Member
    You can't call it an act of terrorism because the perpetrators are not Muslim.

where does this info come from? The story linked above seems to suggest that they were.
    The "Victims" are Muslim---Not sure yet on the perps

They were just named
    Why do you have air quotes around the word victim? Are they not victims of someone?

Its going to prove embarrassing to Trudeau if he ends up eating his words about Refugees, but I doubt he will. they're probably homegrown. One spoke with a Quebecois accent.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,783 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Why do you have air quotes around the word victim? Are they not victims of someone?

Its going to prove embarrassing to Trudeau if he ends up eating his words about Refugees, but I doubt he will. they're probably homegrown. One spoke with a Quebecois accent.

was of Moroccan origin, reports show
    Published January 30, 2017 FoxNews.com

Two suspects arrested in deadly Quebec mosque terror attack

One of two gunmen who shouted 'Allahu akbar!' as they opened fire at a mosque in Quebec City was of Moroccan origin, a witness and local media reported Monday, revealing the first details about the attackers in the massacre that killed six men.
    The "Victims" are Muslim---Not sure yet on the perps

They were just named

No they are definitely victims---I just thought there was confusion between you and comic about the perps being muslim
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    Police in Quebec are now stating one is a suspect and one is a witness, but aren't saying which is which.

http://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/live-blog/quebec-mosque-shooting
    Looks like they released the Moroccan.

He looks like the Quebecois version of Dylan Roof. Nice hat.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/201701/30/01-5064465-le-suspect-connu-pour-ses-critiques-sur-facebook.php
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    You're fluent in French?
    No, I just hit google translate. I can read the occasional Tweet but that's about it.
    So, I'm guessing the neighbors were aware that he tore small mammals apart but nobody wanted to say anything in case they were wrong.
    If you see something say something. . . unless you don't want to get sued. Then don't say anything.
    sherb wrote: »
    where does this info come from? The story linked above seems to suggest that they were.

This would be the first time in history, including Tim McVeigh that a non-Muslim would be labeled a terrorist.
    This would be the first time in history, including Tim McVeigh that a non-Muslim would be labeled a terrorist.

Kind blows out of the water the saying....Not all Muslims are terrorists...but all terrorists are Muslim

Maybe some Brits may have used the "T" word for some IRA incidents
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member

Aside from the Irgun.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    And the Colonial Army
    I once went to a terrorism/threat assessment in the USMC once and it was all shining path/red brigade/PLO stuff. Nobody even mentioned Islamic terror. Things change.

But Comic just wants to score political points because some redneck here won't call a redneck there a terrorist. So, in the interest of saving time. . .

Alexandre Bissonnette=Le Terrorist.
    I had no idea you were that old.

And it is not just one redneck here.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Wait, what redneck are we talking about?
    Buffco wrote: »
    Wait, what redneck are we talking about?

No worries Buff---your in my deer huntin brotherhood.....Gotchya back
    Like to point out that redneck was Sherb's characterization.
    Like to point out that redneck was Sherb's characterization.

You guys went fishin together...Right?---was it bare knuckles on da riverbank?
    We're fine, I just know Comic well enough to know that he will go on and on about Timothy McVeigh until someone acknowledges that the Frenchy is a terrorist.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,765 Senior Member
    You guys went fishin together...Right?---was it bare knuckles on da riverbank?

No, it was very peaceable. I drank beer and they cured all of the world's ills. It was a good time.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    And the Colonial Army

They were rebels, not terrorists. Unlike the Irgun, they did not target English women and children

And I neglected the Japanese Red Army, Tupamarus, Shining Path, IRA etc. What I should have said was that I think the Irgun was the first modern group to be labeled terrorists.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    What do ya call the guy from Alaska that shot up the Florida Airport---Gettin Confusing----Terrorist?---Nuts?----Murderer?
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    No, it was very peaceable. I drank beer and they cured all of the world's ills. It was a good time.

Wait they got along and the Mormon drank beer? Oh right like this whole story wasn't fake news. You'd probably try to tell us you guys caught fish too. You almost had us. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.