Thanks to Steven

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 3,779 Senior Member
I have a new project. My wife and I have been eating Bagels with Honey/Walnut cream cheese for awhile. Yesterday I picked up some smoked Salmon and when I got home I asked her if she knew what Lox is. Uhh, I'm from Philly,, of course I know what Lox is. So this morning she made me a bagel with thin sliced onions, crushed capers, and smoked Salmon. WOW! We started with a half bagel each. That was so good, she made another. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make the salmon more affordable (and better than store bought). I've been looking at youtube videos on how to brine and cold smoke the fillets and it's not that hard at all. I already have an electric smoker so it looks like all I need is a smoker tube and some pellets. This should be fun!

91UD7qmGl5L._SL1500_.jpg

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,326 Senior Member
    Jew food is the best food.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,779 Senior Member
    So far so good! My wife worked for a Jewish firm In NYC for a few years so she's familiar with alot of it. Me, not so much.
    Ask her if she knows what a brisket is. When she says, "Yes, of course," tell her you'd like it next week.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    If only "you people" would get over this bacon thing..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Steven wrote: »
    Ask her if she knows what a brisket is. When she says, "Yes, of course," tell her you'd like it next week.
    Her reply will be meet me at Martins BBQ. Brisket is a pain.
    Jewish brisket. It's different.

Yeah, it's a pain, but you're making the smoked salmon, right?

Yeah, it's a pain, but you're making the smoked salmon, right?

True. I've tried to smoke Brisket once and it turned out okay, but I overcooked it. Ended up slicing it very thin, coating it with a sauce and provolone cheese, and putting it on a sandwich. I'll smoke Brisket again after I get more experienced.

This looks amazing!
    http://allrecipes.com/video/3638/jewish-style-sweet-and-sour-brisket/?internalSource=picture_play&referringId=212741&referringContentType=recipe
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member

I did not realize this.
    I've got a Big Green Egg, and lots of the Youtube channels and websites I check for recipes have brisket, and I just assumed it was the same thing. Haven't tried doing it myself yet.
    You don't smoke Jewish brisket. For pete's sake. You think all bunch of Jewish women in the shtetl or the lower east side smoked meat?

You basically marinate it. Like this....

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/212741/jewish-style-sweet-and-sour-brisket/?internalSource=similar_recipe_banner&referringId=103067&referringContentType=recipe&clickId=simslot_1
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Could do a good job in a slow cooker too..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    Here's what you need to know for BBQ brisket. The recipes for smoking ribs and pulled pork on this site are bullet proof if you set up your grill correctly and have a decent thermometer.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    Cool, I'm going to bookmark that site. Been creating my own rubs for ribs and chicken, based off some things I've seen online. My wife got me a good quality wireless thermometer for Christmas, and it's made a difference in the couple of cooks I've done since.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    I saw a recipe for gravlax or lox (same thing?) on Epicurious the other day and if I didn't have to go to work I would have went to the store and bought a 1/2 pound of salmon to give it a whirl. It was salt (duh), brown sugar, black pepper, red onion?, capers and then cure. It sounded delicious as I haven't had anything like that since about 15 years ago at a Jewish deli in St. Louis.

Perhaps that would be a less arduous recipe to prepare?

Mike, you have totally surged ahead of Buffy in Jew Points.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I saw a recipe for gravlax or lox (same thing?) on Epicurious the other day and if I didn't have to go to work I would have went to the store and bought a 1/2 pound of salmon to give it a whirl. It was salt (duh), brown sugar, black pepper, red onion?, capers and then cure. It sounded delicious as I haven't had anything like that since about 15 years ago at a Jewish deli in St. Louis.

Perhaps that would be a less arduous recipe to prepare?

Mike, you have totally surged ahead of Buffy in Jew Points.

Lox and Nova are cold smoked; Grav'lax (gravad lax) is cured/pickled. The recipe you saw is a variant. The basic one is just salt, regular sugar and dill, although there are many variations including adding a little cognac or aquavit. I've tried a lot of them and I keep going back to the really simple one I learned in Sweden in the early 1970s from a neighbor. It was his family's old, old recipe, just salt, sugar and dill.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.