Bolton says it could be Obama's fault

124»

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I really don't get what you're thinking Hex.

It's not Exxon's responsibility to make sure the government gets the best people. Especially if it's their people.
    It's not Exxon's responsibility to make sure public policy (and I'll be honest.. I'm not exactly sure what you mean here by "public policy") is good or bad.

It's Exxon's responsibility to hire and retain the best people and make money. Not to make sure they can qualify for their next jobs, governmental or not.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,430 Senior Member
    Is a Leftie arguing the business of business is business?

If so, the world is totally upside down.

By this logic, we should applaud Tillerson for doing his best to get the sanctions against Russia lifted.
    MikeA wrote: »
    Fox wasn't on the Trump train either...

Guys, let's take a moment and remember this.
    Is a Leftie arguing the business of business is business?

If so, the world is totally upside down.

By this logic, we should applaud Tillerson for doing his best to get the sanctions against Russia lifted.

Besides all the other ones in this thread, your mistake is that I'm a leftie.
    You're an independent. So is Joe. Me too.
    You're an independent. So is Joe. Me too.

No, you're an illegal immigrant loving libtard.
    I am a libtard when it comes to immigration. In the classical sense of the word libtard of course.

by the way, as for FOX, there may very well be some truth to Mike's statement with the caveat being one of timing.

FOX was certainly not on the Trump train through the primaries. Ailes definitely supported the establishment candidates and then there was the whole thing with Megyn Kelly, Trump boycotting a debate, and whole bunch of twitter based hissy fits between the two. Whether that changed post convention, I don't know.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    CNN turned into MSNBC. I used to like CNN but now unwatchable, unless it's Anthony Bourdain of course.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    by the way, as for FOX, there may very well be some truth to Mike's statement with the caveat being one of timing.

If only there was a way to go back to page one and see that Mike and Shawn were talking about whether the media was carrying water for Hillary or Trump to determine the timing.
    Whether that changed post convention, I don't know.

The memory of a dumbocrat.
    No, just somebody that doesn't watch Fox News, keyboard warrior.
    I get my news mostly from the Wall Street Journal and CNBC.
    keyboard warrior.

****. Now I gotta go to Iowa? I hope sherb's rowing skills are as true as the legend says.
    Your fastest route to Idaho will be on I-80 anyway. It would just be a quick 5 minute stop off.
    Your fastest route to Idaho will be on I-80 anyway. It would just be a quick 5 minute stop off.

That's on the way to Nevada where the boat ramp sherb is picking me up.
    Give me a head's up when you arrange it with sherb
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,924 Senior Member
    Sherb is waiting for the ice to thaw at the put-in and take-out spots. I hope you guys dressed warm and brought big lunches.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I happen to know a Polar Vortex is headed your way, what ever the Hell that is..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,924 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I happen to know a Polar Vortex is headed your way, what ever the Hell that is..

Mike

That's the latest $1500 winter steelheading rod from Sage. Hextal won it in a TU raffle that undoubtedly was hacked by the Russians in his favor. Second prize was a lifetime supply of New Zealand strike indicators. Third prize was a framed photograph of Sherb's drift boat.

All I won was one of Buffy's crappie rigs.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,945 Senior Member
    Can somebody say "Clinton Foundation?".

I know you did often enough. And yet somehow this is different. Could it be you just hate African babies more than you do oil and real estate investors?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I really don't get what you're thinking Hex.

I understand Exxon's vesting policy (and it is unique) but there should have been an exception for public service in instances such as this.

If Google had such a policy, would anybody on the Left seriously want Larry Page to say, "Sorry, I'd love to, but I'd be leaving too much money on the table."

Demanding that somebody make a huge sacrifice to be able to serve is just bad public policy.

Yes. When you choose to serve the people, there can be no conflict between the needs of the country and your bank account. This is why we have a long standing tradition of establishing blind trusts. Besides it is usually not even more than 2 years of your life.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    When you choose to serve the people, there can be no conflict between the needs of the country and your bank account.
    oops, somebody forgot to tell Huma and the Clintons.
    It is a charity. Neither of them made dime one.

http://fortune.com/2016/12/05/ivanka-trump-donald-trump-japan-shinzo-abe/
    I'll wait for the investigations to wrap up before I draw any solid conclusions. Thanks for the input though, very enlightening.

No, but the size of the foundation helped both the power and prestige of the Clintons, which in turn was turned into money. And many of these same donors were paying Slick huge speaking fees.
    Yes. When you choose to serve the people, there can be no conflict between the needs of the country and your bank account. This is why we have a long standing tradition of establishing blind trusts. Besides it is usually not even more than 2 years of your life.

It's not a blind trust if you know what's in it. Assuming you could put Tillerson's unvested shares in a trust, the unvested shares couldn't be sold, so by definition, it's not blind.

When somebody puts their assets in a blind trust, the assets are typically disposed of and the proceeds are reinvested in assets to which the beneficiary is blind.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    From my perspective the status of Tillerson's Exxon stocks is not dispositive concerning the issue of whether he can be objective on the issue of whether the sanctions on Russia should be lifted. Even if he does not personally benefit from the lifting of the sanctions it appears that lifting the sanctions would be enormously beneficial to Exxon, where he spent his entire professional career. I am sure he would, all other things being equal, want to see Exxon do well. Please note that I am not saying that just because he was CEO of Exxon he is automatically disqualified from being S of S. For me the question is whether he can be objective on the Russian sanctions issue and make a determination on that issue solely on the basis of our national interest. I am reserving judgment on his suitability for being S of S until I learn what he has to say on the issue continuing or lifting the sanctions (and until I know more about his world view in general). If he can make a case that it is in our national interest to lift them and otherwise comes across as being suitable for being the nation's top diplomat, then fine, I'll accept that. But, in the meantime given his background it is entirely legitimate to be skeptical about his ability to be objective on the sanctions issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.