Bolton says it could be Obama's fault

GoldenladleGoldenladle Super ModeratorPosts: 3,865 Senior Member
«134

Replies

  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,658 Senior Member
    Of course it's not Obama, but it's possible that it was anyone. Hackers aren't known for leaving a calling card....
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,379 Senior Member
    Thank you Alex Jones. They do however have techniques that do leave a signature.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Of course it's not Obama, but it's possible that it was anyone. Hackers aren't known for leaving a calling card....

    common misconception.

    also entirely incorrect. I helped several of the US agencies with a cyberwarfare exercise a few years back -- you'd be surprised how much they can tell.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    It boggles the mind that the CIA would concoct all of this, or that it would come from the Obama people. As to DJT, what a way to start a presidency, **** off the CIA!! BTW, how does the FBI figure into this? Are they really pro-Trump? Turn off your devices, the civil cyber war has begun.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Actually the cyber wars began a while ago, the West just never realized it..

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Actually the cyber wars began a while ago, the West just never realized it..

    Mike

    Again, I can tell you from first hand experience and working knowledge, this is not the case.

    The west is quite aware. And quite capable.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,533 Senior Member
    I've talked with some guys who wanted to join the cyber warfare units of the military. They say they're some of, if not the hardest, units to get into, academically. Loooooooooooong training times, and very rigorous vetting and testing both before acceptance and during training.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,379 Senior Member
    They have a network security competition every year and the winners get offered scholarships and jobs with the NSA.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    They have a network security competition every year and the winners get offered scholarships and jobs with the NSA.

    when I was with the Lab, we helped create the scenarios they were used for the competition. I'm not a cyber security guy but my last year there I got pressed into helping with that -- it was quite the crash course on how those guys work.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member

    the interesting thing about the Russian hacking is that few people -- and I haven't seen anyone knowledgeable -- are claiming that the Russians actually infilltrated our voting equipment, most of which is off-line. Instead they worked to undermine a specific candidate and alter the outcome that way -- which gives plausible deniability to charges that they directly influenced the election, and even if they'd failed undermines public confidence in our system. I would call it a pretty successful operation, from their perspective.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    the minute i hear someone utter the phrase "false flag" i assume they are an idiot
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,658 Senior Member
    If Russian claws dug into US politics, Obama — not Trump — let it happen

    http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/310140-if-russian-claws-dug-into-us-politics-obama-not-trump
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,865 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »

    I don't understand why it seems to be ok for a foreign entity to meddle in our democracy, regardless who it benefited or who thinks its ok.

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,953 Senior Member
    What should really bother everyone is the content of the information that was leaked, not how it was leaked. What else is hidden from the American Public?

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,379 Senior Member
    People are permitted to have their private thoughts and you don't know that those emails were not altered. Funny how the Russians felt no need to provide us with Trumps tax returns.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,379 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »

    It was Obama's responsibility to secure the DNC servers?

    That has got to be the stupidest argument ever.

    Who wants to bet that a substantial portion of the Ukraine if not all of it will be under Russian control by the end of next year?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,953 Senior Member
    People are permitted to have their private thoughts and you don't know that those emails were not altered. Funny how the Russians felt no need to provide us with Trumps tax returns.

    And we need to see Trumps tax returns why?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,379 Senior Member
    For the same reason you would have been apoplectic if Hillary did not show hers.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 921 Senior Member
    It really surprises me that so many Rs are willfully sticking their heads in the sand about a hostile foreign power's attempt to influence our election just because they also support the candidate the hostile foreign power wanted to see elected. There is a line beyond which the ends shouldn't justify the means regardless of what your politics are. The integrity of our elections is such a line. Thankfully, there are some Rs--namely Senators McCain and Graham--who have integrity and a willingness to put the interests of the country ahead of partisan politics.

    Evan McMullin gets it: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/evan-mcmullin-gop-russia-hacking-232625
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,953 Senior Member
    For the same reason you would have been apoplectic if Hillary did not show hers.
    Not me. You must be thinking of someone else. I could care less about the tax returns of a presidential candidate.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,658 Senior Member
    There's nothing that any of the R's or Trump could do about it if it was the Russians. It was just funny water cooler talk, until she lost. The MSM was trying every thing within their power to influence the election, then labeling any other media outlet that didn't follow that narrative as "Alt Right". I remember coming on here almost daily complaining about it. But since they were trying to get a D elected, it was ok. Suddenly everyone is supposed to be upset about still unproven claims that the Russian government leaked damning true emails about a candidate. Hell, the DNC was leaking all kinds of crap to get Bernie ousted too. BFD right? Bernie needed to go.
    I'd love to see Obama go get the Russians and bring them to justice once he has a smoking gun.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,642 Senior Member
    The media? You do know that the largest (most popular) media outlet in the country is Faux News, right? Not exactly Hillarumsupporters.
    If you aren't concerned about Putin's interference with our election then maybe you should look to move to another country because you obviously don't value this one. Love it or leave it!
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,658 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    The media? You do know that the largest (most popular) media outlet in the country is Faux News, right? Not exactly Hillarumsupporters.
    If you aren't concerned about Putin's interference with our election then maybe you should look to move to another country because you obviously don't value this one. Love it or leave it!
    Fox wasn't on the Trump train either... As soon as I see the proof that Putin interfered I'll join the knee jerk.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,953 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    If you aren't concerned about Putin's interference with our election then maybe you should look to move to another country because you obviously don't value this one. Love it or leave it!

    So you're more concerned about the Russians exposing the political corruption in this country then you are for corruption existing in our government?
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 921 Senior Member
    Not me. You must be thinking of someone else. I could care less about the tax returns of a presidential candidate.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

    Interesting that you say that. The very next post from you linked to an article from PolitiFact. In that article there is this statement:

    Trump certainly has conducted business in Russia or with Russian investments, like taking the Miss Universe pageant to Moscow in 2013. Without his tax returns, however, we don’t know the full extent of his business dealings there.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,953 Senior Member
    Interesting that you say that. The very next post from you linked to an article from PolitiFact. In that article there is this statement:

    Trump certainly has conducted business in Russia or with Russian investments, like taking the Miss Universe pageant to Moscow in 2013. Without his tax returns, however, we don’t know the full extent of his business dealings there.

    Ummmm...yeah...OK... ???

    That doesn't mean that "I" have an interest in a candidates tax returns.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 921 Senior Member
    Ummmm...yeah...OK... ???

    That doesn't mean that "I" have an interest in a candidates tax returns.

    Well, if that is the way you feel then that is the way you feel. Just a little odd, though, because normally when one links to an article in the course of a back and forth debate it is reasonable to assume that the reason the link was posted is because the poster agrees with the article.

    But, whatever. People like to stick their head in the sand and ignore facts--in this case the fact that public disclosure of Trump's tax returns would, among many other laudable effects, show the extent of his business interests in Russia--that contradict their preconceived position.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Guys, who gives a flying fart what Michael Bolton thinks about this?

    Sherb does. That's who farts flying.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.