Drugs, Alcohol, Suicide and Trump

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,871 Senior Member
Donald Trump got significantly more votes in areas with high rates of drug addiction, alcohol abuse and suicide, according to a study done by Shannon Monnat, a Penn State researcher who specializes in rural issues.

The high rates of addiction and suicide are considered a strong indicator of "economic despair," which Monnat believes is the major underlying factor in the strong support for Trump.

Monnat looked at voting and demographic data for 3,106 counties, Penn State research writer Matt Swayne wrote in an article published in the Centre Daily Times.

Economic distress is based on rates of things including unemployment, uninsured adults, disability, single-parent homes and homes receiving public assistance.

Economic distress runs high in much of the midwest, Appalachia and New England...

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/12/high_drug_addiction_rates_corr.html?ath=afdebe60bfc8889e810390e42bd278b7#cmpid=nsltr_strybutton
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Braised Sea Cucumbers

Directions

PREPARATION.
    Place the pre-soaked Sea Cucumbers under cold water, rinse well and make sure they are clean, cut the Sea Cucumbers lengthwise and then into medium bite size pieces, set aside (See “NOTES” below if buying dry Sea Cucumbers).
    Soak black mushrooms in warm water for about 15-30 minutes until soft, then cut away the stems, if the mushrooms are large cut in half, set aside.
    Cut the bamboo shoots into bite size pieces, set aside.
    In a small bowl “A” add the following: 1 tablespoon rice wine, 1 green onion, 4 slices of ginger, set aside.
    In a second small bowl “B” add the following: 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, ¾ cup stock, set aside.
    In a third small bowl “C” add the following: 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon water, set aside.
    COOK INSTRUCTIONS.
    Add 1 tablespoon oil in a wok/pan until hot, add the contents in bowl “A” and stir-fry until it starts to release its fragrance.
    Add the 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, next add the Sea Cucumbers and cook for 2 minutes, then drain, set aside.
    Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a wok/pan until hot, add the 4 spring onions , 6 slices ginger and stir-fry until it starts to release its fragrance.
    Add the Sea Cucumbers, 1 teaspoon rice wine, black mushrooms, bamboo shoots and contents in bowl “B.”.
    Simmer for about 10 minutes under low heat and/or until the liquid is reduced to about half.
    Stir contents of bowl “C” and add to wok/pan to thicken.
    Add sesame oil and toss gently.
    Serve with white rice and perhaps another green vegetable of your choice, on the side.
    NOTES:.
    Store the Pre-soaked Sea Cucumbers in cold water and in the refrigerator until ready to use.
    If using dry Sea Cucumbers, you need to prepare it properly (re-constitute them), which can take several days See this URL - http://tinyurl.com/45zody .
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,871 Senior Member
    You left out the parts where you flambé them with Three Feathers and serve with a side of Oxycontin.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    So much for "change"

Thanks Obama.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    So many articles on why she lost. Common thread in all of them, it's someone elses fault (shocker I know....). All the money, all the media, and she outmanuvered him at every turn according to the "experts" but she lost. Maybe, just maybe, the dems need to stop blaming and ask why so many voters chose a candidate like trump over the best they had. But that would mean admitting they have lost touch with a large portion of voters. That would me they might have been wrong about something. And we all know that's not possible in their minds. No they will double down and it'll get worse before it gets better.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    You sound like one of them racists.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Eat your cukes..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    She lost for a lot of reasons. Mostly her (and her staff's) own fault, but with some help from Messrs. Putin and Comey. And the Democrats seemingly learned nothing from the experience.

None of that obviates the fact that Trump is a dangerous demagogue who is appointing reactionaries, not conservatives, many of them incompetent at first glance. The nomination of a close associate of Putin to be Secretary of State is troubling to say the least. Time will tell.

p.s. Hey Mitt. You've been played, displayed and humiliated. The Donald has had his revenge.

p.p.s. Dave - Keep it up and you will spend a long time in the penalty box.

Edit 12/11 - Mea culpa. I misheard what was on the tube last night and thought that Trump had chosen Tillerson.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    She lost for a lot of reasons. Mostly her (and her staff's) own fault, but with some help from Messrs. Putin and Comey. And the Democrats seemingly learned nothing from the experience.

None of that obviates the fact that Trump is a dangerous demagogue who is appointing reactionaries, not conservatives, many of them incompetent at first glance. The nomination of a close associate of Putin to be Secretary of State is troubling to say the least. Time will tell.

p.s. Hey Mitt. You've been played, displayed and humiliated. The Donald has had his revenge.

p.p.s. Dave - Keep it up and you will spend a long time in the penalty box.

I wish the county could heal and become one country again and not two parties. I don't think the left will forget the last few years of the rights vitriol anytime soon. I think it's goin to keep snowballing and who would blame them. The people just voted to burn the place to the ground...
    Here's to hope that Trump isn't that stupid.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,720 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »

I wish the county could heal and become one country again and not two parties. I don't think the left will forget the last few years of the rights vitriol anytime soon. I think it's goin to keep snowballing and who would blame them. The people just voted to burn the place to the ground...
    Here's to hope that Trump isn't that stupid.

And why should we? You should have had these concerns 8 years ago. Actually this goes back to Clinton.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    There's little doubt that Christianity's Reichquest crusade for a second coming in a seemingly innocuous blitzkrieg of American politics patterned on the Third Reich shaped Democrats dictatorships loss of providing drugs, alcohol & suicidals to make America great again; as if Trump is to be a reincarnation of Eisenhower so all can rise like a phoenix out of the ashes they so fervently created again. McCain's comment on Putin seems to sum up American politics of old, which needs far more propaganda to appear to be all of too dang lily brilliant white again to keep up with the global neighbors as thugs, bullys & murderers "Trump Entertainment" is supposed to overcome.

Guys - Dave will be dancing somewhere else for the next year.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,720 Senior Member
    How can you tell if that is offensive or not?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Guys - Dave will be dancing somewhere else for the next year.

George 4tehwin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.