Let's play another round of, "What if this were Obama?"

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 23,379 Senior Member
'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    you realize mike pence is really the POTUS, yes?
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,226 Senior Member
    If this were Obama...he'd still come up with the wrong answer.

[/too easy]

Actually, I find it disturbing.
    Steven wrote: »
    If this were Obama...he'd still come up with the wrong answer.

[/too easy]

Actually, I find it disturbing.

mike pence goes to every one

Trump threw a bone to a few donors, but most of "his" cabinet so far is to the right of his stated beliefs both during the campaign and historically......but they are right in line with Mike Pence

do the math - Pence & the party are pulling the strings - Trump will publicly dance for them until he overstays his welcome, then I suspect we'll see him resign for "undisclosed health reasons"
    Who knows, but I have trouble believing the Republican Party is now pulling the strings when it couldn't before.

It could be that he really just doesn't give a ****. His trade policies tend to be isolationist, maybe his defense views are similar.

He should give a ****, of course.
    i don't think he really wants to do the actual job - he wanted to get elected to feed the ego and prove people wrong

he's leaving the real work to others

would not be surprised if an actual deal was cut along the way

they could have pulled the strings and made him go away.......maybe they saw him as the only real pathway to the whitehouse?
    tim_s wrote: »
    they could have pulled the strings and made him go away.......maybe they saw him as the only real pathway to the whitehouse?

If they did, they kept it a secret. Remember #nevertrump?

As for ego, his never stops. I'm sure he now needs to be the greatest President ever (or at least be able to convince himself he is).

I just read an OpEd that suggests all he cares about is the economy and job growth and that his mentality is that of a small or medium-sized business owner. If it's not about growing the business, he has no interest. It's also why there's such a conflict in picking a Secretary of State...it's the one job that doesn't have a direct effect on job growth.

Anyway, that's the author's opinion. Seems to make some sense.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 921 Senior Member
    i don't think he really wants to do the actual job - he wanted to get elected to feed the ego and prove people wrong

^^^^^
    This
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,953 Senior Member

That's what good leaders do. They delegate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    A major job of the top guy is to decide who wins when underlings battle for power. I don't think DIT will be very good at this. He will yield to whoever strokes him the most, and it will get crazy.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member

There's a lot of circumstantial evidence to support the theory that Trump just wants to get felated as our savior and not actually do any work of the work to save us... His attendance frequency at intelligence briefings being one that to me is pretty troubling.

Bailing on the responsibilities of the job is not delegating.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 921 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    There's a lot of circumstantial evidence to support the theory that Trump just wants to get felated as our savior and not actually do any work of the work to save us... His attendance frequency at intelligence briefings being one that to me is pretty troubling.

Bailing on the responsibilities of the job is not delegating.

Especially if he has time to be Executive Producer of Celebrity Apprentice.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/09/504981459/trumps-continued-ties-to-celebrity-apprentice-raise-more-conflict-questions
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,379 Senior Member
    That's what good leaders do. They delegate.

No they lead, that is why they are called leaders.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    No, they delegate. That's common business knowledge.
    Nope. They direct and expect results. They do not concede policy and direction to others.

If this were Obama you would say this was evidence of his inability to lead.
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/279141

How long did it take you to find that? Entrepreneur of India? Hahahahahahahaha

Again if this were Obama you would be telling us how much of a failure he was.
    His whole term has been a failure.

You will be waxing nostalgic these past 8 years after the next 4.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,642 Senior Member
    I've been taught that there are several different types of leadership styles. No one better than the other; it's all dependent upon your personality and what you need to do given the group dynamic of your subordinates. For a job as yuge as the POTUS you have to delegate; there is just too much going on. However, here is where Joe and others get it wrong: Trump isn't delegating. He is instead getting mired in the details of whatever is in front of him at the time (Hey look, a squirel!) and ignoring the other aspects of the job that require his attention. The inmates will be running the asylum while he has his twitter war over the latest ego-bruising from the media to avenge.

PS. 24" of new snow Sunday morning with a two day storm total of 43" at my local ski area. It was epic! That and the Steelers won so I am a happy camper!
    You will be waxing nostalgic these past 8 years.

Ha!!! I'm not that into politics and politicians to care that much. Life goes on no matter what dimwit is in the white house.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I've been taught that there are several different types of leadership styles. No one better than the other; it's all dependent upon your personality and what you need to do given the group dynamic of your subordinates. For a job as yuge as the POTUS you have to delegate; there is just too much going on. However, here is where Joe and others get it wrong: Trump isn't delegating. He is instead getting mired in the details of whatever is in front of him at the time (Hey look, a squirel!) and ignoring the other aspects of the job that require his attention. The inmates will be running the asylum while he has his twitter war over the latest ego-bruising from the media to avenge.

PS. 24" of new snow Sunday morning with a two day storm total of 43" at my local ski area. It was epic! That and the Steelers won so I am a happy camper!

Exactly there is a difference between delegating and abdicating. Even when you delegate you still need to lead.

Going to the Ski Truck today.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    Whats a ski truck?
    It is a discount ski warehouse in downtown SLC. I got a pair of lightly used skis with bindings, brand new boots and ski pants for $540.
    'comic's making it rain.
    To be honest I was considering renting for the season, but this may prove cheaper in the long run. Skiing is the family sport. The boots run $800 retail.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    Nice. We ski a lot too. I just got new gear last year, but I'm not happy with my boots, so I think I'm going to get a new pair after Christmas. No ski truck around here though...
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I may go skiing this winter for the first time in 4 years after tearing my ACL at Copper Mountain. But it will be a sunny day!
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,642 Senior Member
    Comic, did your father get a season pass this year? We will have to get together for some turns!

Perhaps we can go skiing with Sherb. "We're gonna ski powder. A lot of powder." ;)

Hex, want to join us?
    The pass was like $600 bucks. I would have to go 6 times to make it worth while. I don't know if I will go that much. Where do you ski?
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Hex, want to join us?

Sherb will drop me off at the take out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.