Trump and Boeing

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,072 Senior Member
Trump's recent tweet criticizing Boeing for the cost of new Air Force One aircraft came hard on the heels of a publication of an interview with Boeing's CEO in which he, the CEO, spoke in favor of free trade. The CEO pointed out that in 2015 the company sold 495 737s to foreign customers. A third of those sales were to Chinese airlines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/12/06/did-donald-trump-tank-boeings-stock-because-he-was-mad-about-a-news-article/?utm_term=.98f2c1f8a582

Boeing provides a lot of well paying manufacturing jobs. If we start raising a lot of protectionist barriers what goes around will come around.

Replies

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    yeah, Washington state in particular stands to lose bigly under protectionist policies -- between airplanes and wheat we export a ton of stuff to China, and we serve as the point of departure for a lot more than originates elsewhere.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member
    Negotiating free trade that doesn't break America isn't protectionism. It's common sense.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,972 Senior Member
    I have no idea what type of electronics and weapons system are put on that plane but 2 Billion a piece, ****.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,002 Senior Member
    For starters they have to survive a nuclear blast without losing communication ability. That's a lot of two-off engineering and electronics. And just imagine the on-board weapons and anti-missile systems they carry. A plain vanilla 747 costs $357million.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,246 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Negotiating free trade that doesn't break America isn't protectionism. It's common sense.

Not if in the end it hurts a vital American industry.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »

I think you will find this not to be the case..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,556 Senior Member
    The whole freaking world is upside down.
    I can't find the article now, but one credible study of NAFTA found that it was a win for all three countries. Mexico benefited most, but improved economic conditions there may have led to a decrease in illegal immigration here by Mexicans. A good proportion of illegals coming now are Central Americans transiting Mexico.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I don't understand how countries we negotiate free trade agreements with won't let us make agreements that benefit only the United States. It's really just common sense.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I don't understand how countries we negotiate free trade agreements with won't let us make agreements that benefit only the United States.

Ask Mundinger.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,072 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    The whole freaking world is upside down.

I am worried that history is repeating itself. WW2 was preceded by protectionism that was triggered by the Great Depression, and by nationalism. Of all days we should all remember that today, since today is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/world/pearl-harbor-anniversary.html
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I am worried that history is repeating itself.

That's the "Again" part of the campaign.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I don't understand how countries we negotiate free trade agreements with won't let us make agreements that benefit only the United States. It's really just common sense.

Depends on whether or not they too have nukes. It's science.
    I am worried that history is repeating itself. WW2 was preceded by protectionism that was triggered by the Great Depression, and by nationalism. Of all days we should all remember that today, since today is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/world/pearl-harbor-anniversary.html

I think the Japanese have learned their lesson.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,018 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I have no idea what type of electronics and weapons system are put on that plane but 2 Billion a piece, ****.

I'd like to know where he got those numbers. 5 to 1 odds says Faux News.

Fighting the bloated and out-of-control defense spending (especially the acquisition process) is a worthy goal but I'm sure he was onto something else 30 seconds later. Either he is hyper-focused on something or... Hey, Look?! A squirrel!!!
    Today, he's destroyed drug stocks.

If I'm Kellyanne Conway, I'd have my stockbroker on speed dial. Every time Trump had a thought, I'd be placing trades.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,246 Senior Member
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.