Home The Lodge

Baseball fans, get in here

So I was kind of channel surfing this morning and I came across Real Sports on HBO, so I watched it for a bit.

They had this segment on.

http://thecomeback.com/mlb/hbos-real-sports-looks-at-whether-pitchfx-should-be-calling-balls-and-strikes.html

Am curious as to your takes. They brought on a retired umpire to talk about the opposing view and whatnot. He made (rather inarticulately, I thought) what might be called the conservative case for keeping the homeplate ump, which is basically that the game is all about tradition and the human element can't be replaced. What the segment makes clear however, is that the homeplate ump is wrong. . .a lot.

Fire away.

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,500 Senior Member
    My ad and tracking blockers will not let me view that site.

Every umpire has his own strike zone, and players adjust to it. What drives them crazy is when it is not consistent.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • George K wrote: »

Every umpire has his own strike zone, and players adjust to it. What drives them crazy is when it is not consistent.

You should find a place to watch that clip. Its NOT consistent.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,214 Senior Member
    65 year old man dressed in a baseball uniform, kicking dirt on a computer....

Doesn't work for me.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,092 Senior Member
    If you like the old style sports, enjoy it NOW, because just like old style non-celebrity politics, it ain't going to last. The Cybergeneration will soon wonder why we use humans at all for anything that can be done by cyberstuff, and since they are the consumers, it will happen. As far as the baseball ump, that could at least be partly implemented. Expect to see chips in the footballs, baseballs, etc. within 10 years.
    Anyone want to help me to crowd source finance the development of my new radar guided, computer controlled pitching robot? From 47mph knuckle balls to 138 mph high heat at your beck and call.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    I go back and forth on this subject, Sherb. Sometimes it is so **** frustrating when you get a HP ump like Jim Joyce who, as George says, is inconsistent from inning-to-inning and even batter-to-batter. However, baseball has bigger problems (a lot of them self-inflicted) than the ball/strike issue. For instance they implementation of instant replay has been a joke. An even bigger joke is the Office of the Commissioner looking at ways to "speed up the game." Its a **** travesty.

Steven: You aren't 65?!
    Ha, ha!!! You said baseball and yet George still responded. Ha, ha!!!
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Ha, ha!!! You said baseball and yet George still responded. Ha, ha!!!

It's the only team sport I actually follow closely, and I only really care about the Yankees - my one childhood home town team that did not abandon me for the smog and fog of California. When I lived in England or formerly British areas I watched cricket on TV simply because guys were hitting, tossing and catching a ball with a sort of bat. :)
    Oh I know, George. Just ribbing you about the whole AL vs. NL thing. ;)
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Part of the fun about watching and talking about professional sports, is to **** about the referees/umpires screw ups. Having a machine call balls and strikes removes that element of enjoyment. While it sucks when it happens to your team, it's delightful when it happens to your foe.
  • what's the odds of this actually happening?
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    what's the odds of this actually happening?

what? a computer replacing umps? I ran the model, and it has a 1% chance of happening. I think the reason that replay has taken a foothold is that prior to replay, some umpiring mistakes in highly visible moments likely cost players/managers/GMs their jobs. So there was a push to get the calls right as people's jobs depend on it. But those are singular events, and the calling of hundreds of balls and strikes per game won't have the same impact to people's jobs... and probably more importantly to the owners' pocketbooks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement