Home The Lodge

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,674 Senior Member
    Thirty-one confirmed cases in one billion ballots cast. Clearly, this is an emergency and a most imminent danger to the Republic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/08/06/a-comprehensive-investigation-of-voter-impersonation-finds-31-credible-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/

The ultra conservative Heritage Foundation claims it's actually more than 300 (gasp!), but they include cases like registered voters voting outside their precinct in a municipal primary.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    Requiring an ID would not have prevented him from voting.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,018 Senior Member
    I'm not worried, I'll still be able to vote here even when I am dead...its all good, my legacy will live on forever. http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/09/22/cbs4-investigation-finds-dead-voters-casting-ballots-in-colorado/
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Statistically speaking, it doesn't happen.

Do you really see this as an issue, Jim? Really?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,674 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I'm not worried, I'll still be able to vote here even when I am dead...its all good, my legacy will live on forever. http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/09/22/cbs4-investigation-finds-dead-voters-casting-ballots-in-colorado/

In the immortal words of Boston Mayor, Mass. Governor and Congressman J.M. Curley, "Vote early, vote often". He once was elected while serving time in a federal pen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Michael_Curley
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,262 Senior Member
    While voters must attest to citizenship upon registering online or registering to vote at the Department of Licensing Office, Washington state doesn't require proof of citizenship. Therefore elections officials say the state's elections system operates, more or less, under an honor system.

They operate under an honor system? What could possibly go wrong?
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    I will simply reiterate my position, which is that its not an especially burdensome requirement to produce an ID to vote, no matter what the left says.
    Say you are a 90 year old woman that has voted since the depression and your birth records were destroyed in a fire in 1950.

And the motivation behind these laws has nothing to do with voter fraud. If they were really interested in voter fraud they would have hard copies of votes made on electronic polling machines that can be hacked and manipulated.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    They operate under an honor system? What could possibly go wrong?

And a driver's license does not verify citizenship.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Thirty-one confirmed cases in one billion ballots cast. Clearly, this is an emergency and a most imminent danger to the Republic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/08/06/a-comprehensive-investigation-of-voter-impersonation-finds-31-credible-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/

The ultra conservative Heritage Foundation claims it's actually more than 300 (gasp!), but they include cases like registered voters voting outside their precinct in a municipal primary.

31 one cases, just think... it may just be enough to turn an election ;)

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Shawn C. wrote: »
    Statistically speaking, it doesn't happen.

Do you really see this as an issue, Jim? Really?

Is it going to make the difference in a national or even state election... no probably not. But is it something that should be taken seriously and not ignored IMO yes it is. Voting is arguably the most important right we have. Someone shouldn't be able to participate if not a citizen nor should someone vote more than once or use their dead grandmas ballot.

if we want to argue that stuff statistically doesn't happen where do we draw the line. Do airplane crashes matter? Millions and millions of miles are traveled I the air yet a crash is a big deal. How about black guys getting shot by the cops? There are millions and millions of interactions with the cops across the US annually so statistically speaking is it irrelevant when a cop shoots someone?

Im not trying to compare these as being in the same level just that I don't think statistics should be the driver.
    Again if Republicans really cared about voter fraud they would demand hard copies of diebold votes. But they don't because they don't. In fact they fought hard against it.
    There are millions and millions of interactions with the cops across the US annually so statistically speaking is it irrelevant when a cop shoots someone?

Funny because the odds are much much higher and yet you could give a **** about that.
    Someone shouldn't be able to participate if not a citizen nor should someone vote more than once or use their dead grandmas ballot.

Statistically the odds are higher you are going to deny a living grandma the right to vote,
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,262 Senior Member
    Statistically the odds are higher you are going to deny a living grandma the right to vote,
    Proof of this?
    Funny because the odds are much much higher and yet you could give a **** about that.

Can you show your work. According to the Google there are approximately 750000 LEOs in the US. So assume that daily there are 40 percent of them working (Accounting for vacations, days off, etc). Now assume each has contact with 5 people per day (I'd say that's a very low ball estimate, my neighbor who is a cop said he has never had a day that slow in his career)

So on any given day 750000*.40*5 = 1.5 million contacts per day

So annually the police have contact with 547.5 million people

Now there are about 226 million eligible voters in the US (thanks google)

Now using George's number of 300 fradulent votes per year and assuming all 226 million actually voted you'd have a fraud rate of 0.000133%

Finally applying that ratio to the annual police contact number by your suggestion the cops would plug 727 people per year.

Thus staristically speaking you are totally flat on your **** but thanks for trying.
    How many people do you want to screw over to stop a statistically insignificant problem.

I would bet Hextall's and Sherb's drift boats that the number of elderly/students/minorities that will be shafted for every legitimate case prevented is over 1000.

At least be honest and admit that you want this so your guys win. Jesus, it's just like the BS excuses that are made up to justify redustricting.

PS. Nice cop interaction straw man. Don't play with matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Comic:

Twice now you have conflated voter fraud with election fraud.

I need your A Game here, damnit! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can you show your work. According to the Google there are approximately 750000 LEOs in the US. So assume that daily there are 40 percent of them working (Accounting for vacations, days off, etc). Now assume each has contact with 5 people per day (I'd say that's a very low ball estimate, my neighbor who is a cop said he has never had a day that slow in his career)

So on any given day 750000*.40*5 = 1.5 million contacts per day

So annually the police have contact with 547.5 million people

Now there are about 226 million eligible voters in the US (thanks google)

Now using George's number of 300 fradulent votes per year and assuming all 226 million actually voted you'd have a fraud rate of 0.000133%

Finally applying that ratio to the annual police contact number by your suggestion the cops would plug 727 people per year.

Thus staristically speaking you are totally flat on your **** but thanks for trying.

Either way you still don't give a **** when a 12 year old boy is shot in cold blood. That is a bit more final than some vote.

Again if you really gave a **** about voter fraud you would insist on hard copies of electronic votes. But you don't. You just want to keep a poor person from voting.
    How many people do you want to screw over to stop a statistically insignificant problem.

I would bet Hextall's and Sherb's drift boats that the number of elderly/students/minorities that will be shafted for every legitimate case prevented is over 1000.

You guys might have a claim with the elderly assuming they were not born in a hospital (yeah there are still probably quite a few out there that might not even have a birth certificate) But lets assume that in the very near future that argument goes to 0. As Sherb pointed out, how hard is it for people to have an ID or birth certificate? Who are these people without them. Students you say? Oh come on really? You guys can't even buy that. There is no burden to show ID. And for all these people that it is so tough for because they can't drive or whatever how exactly is it not a burden for them to get to the polls and vote? I realize we will all never agree on it.

At least be honest and admit that you want this so your guys win. Jesus, it's just like the BS excuses that are made up to justify redustricting.

I disagree. I said before and will stand by it. If you are a citizen, feel free to exercise your right to vote. I don't care if you are black, purple or have 7 fingers on each hand. It reminds me back to when the Iarqis had their first election and had their fingers dyed purple...would that be so hard for us to do?

As for redistricting, yeah it sucks balls. I'm not even that close to Denver and got lumped in with them at the last switch-aroo. My vote for my representative means jack ****.
    PS. Nice cop interaction straw man. Don't play with matches.

It was a nice piece of work. A perfect drift right to that big blue and red fish I knew would slam it once it hit the surface...never a disappointment. ;)
    Either way you still don't give a **** when a 12 year old boy is shot in cold blood. That is a bit more final than some vote.

Again if you really gave a **** about voter fraud you would insist on hard copies of electronic votes. But you don't. You just want to keep a poor person from voting.

Oh man you got me...my secrets out.
    It has been out for quite sometime.
    You guys might have a claim with the elderly assuming they were not born in a hospital (yeah there are still probably quite a few out there that might not even have a birth certificate) But lets assume that in the very near future that argument goes to 0. As Sherb pointed out, how hard is it for people to have an ID or birth certificate? Who are these people without them. Students you say? Oh come on really? You guys can't even buy that. There is no burden to show ID. And for all these people that it is so tough for because they can't drive or whatever how exactly is it not a burden for them to get to the polls and vote? I realize we will all never agree on it.

In Texas a College ID that has a photo is not valid, yet a gun permit that does not is.

Again if you really care about voter fraud, why are you not more interested in voting machines?
    Here's hoping you lose your wallet on November 7th.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,119 Senior Member
    Here's hoping you lose your wallet on November 7th.

That will teach him.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement