Home The Lodge

So, is anyone not watching the "game" tonight?

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Deadbait wrote: »
    Well I just watched the whole thing. Dang.

Share your thoughts, your hopes, your dreams.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    You mean a Pats fan?

I don't want to start anything controversial.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    jbilly wrote: »
    There was one really interesting thing she said about Iran that left me scratching my head. She mentioned that prior to the deal Iran was a couple weeks (I think she said weeks, but maybe months) away from having a bond and that they had enough material to build one. That left my puzzled as hell. Maybe I don't understand the deal fully, but if they actually were that close and they had the material, what happened to it? I don't recall ever seeing as part of the deal that they were giving up the material they had on hand? Am I missing something? It seemed like a very subtle point, but it seemed like a weird thing to say.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/22/politics/us-nuclear-iran-purchase/
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • DeadbaitDeadbait Member Posts: 85 Member
    Share your thoughts, your hopes, your dreams.

If you vote for Trump he will get rid of all the 3rd world airports. So there is that I suppose.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,369 Senior Member
    And the Snark begins. Howard Dean tweets that Trump's sniffling might mean he's a Coke user. And already there's this: (don't these people ever sleep)

CtVDdVkWgAAf8ps.jpg
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,296 Senior Member
    Lloyd Bridges was more presidential in Airplane! than Trump was at the debate...
    I guarantee you Trump thinks he won.

Trump is tweeting results of several online polls saying he won (and some say he won by a large margin). Nobody here thought he won. What a time to be alive!
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,227 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Did Clinton say she wants to push for paid FMLA? That'll be a **** disaster.
    Yes. And Trump has said the same.

Why do you think it will be a disaster? I think it's a great idea.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    I twitter-stalked Ms. Piggy and she has blown up like a tick. Good God woman, get ahold of yourself.

j/k she's 39 now and super hot.
    Trump's position is to provide 6-weeks paid maternity leave.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/child-care/

Edit: There's a fact sheet on trump's site that goes into a little more detail about his child care proposals.

"PROPOSAL: The Trump plan will guarantee six weeks of paid maternity leave by amending the existing unemployment insurance (UI) that companies are required to carry. The benefit would apply only when employers don't offer paid maternity leave, and would be paid for by offsetting reductions in the program so that taxes are not raised. This enhancement will triple the average paid leave received by new mothers."

But later in the fact sheet when contrasting against Clinton's plan, it mentions he'd be for partial pay (Clinton would be for 12-week fully paid family leave paid for by the employeer rather than partially paid through the unemployment insurance system).
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,227 Senior Member
    Here is the Clinton plan which I think is better.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/paid-leave/
    From Clinton's plan:

"Fund paid leave by making the wealthy pay their fair share—not by increasing taxes on working families. Hillary will pay for her paid leave plan with tax reforms that will ensure the wealthiest Americans pay their fair share."

I don't know what this means. While trump's plan has a little more details (although not sure what the "offsetting reductions" refer to), Clinton's has no details. But she claims it'll not cost businesses anything.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    Yes. And Trump has said the same.

Why do you think it will be a disaster? I think it's a great idea.

FMLA is abused regularly and that’s unpaid FMLA. FMLA leaves the employer with a position that can’t be filled until the FMLA time limit (12 weeks) expires, and all the bureaucratic BS settles. And that’s if you’re lucky and the abuser decides to take it all at once and not whenever they just feel like a day off. Now make it 12 weeks paid time and employers will be overwhelmed with people getting illness that require them to take FMLA. Some Drs don’t mind because they get to keep the patient who also gets to keep his insurance…. The Employers will take a beating big time if that gets passed. It’ll be yuge!

Maternity leave is a completely different situation and should be paid for up to 6 weeks including any vacation or PTO that employee has IMO.
    Your like that guy whose team loses 45 to 0 with 8 turnovers, who blames the referee for the loss because they missed a holding penalty.

Except I don't have a team. I vote both parties.
    From Clinton's plan:

"Fund paid leave by making the wealthy pay their fair share—not by increasing taxes on working families. Hillary will pay for her paid leave plan with tax reforms that will ensure the wealthiest Americans pay their fair share."

I don't know what this means. While trump's plan has a little more details (although not sure what the "offsetting reductions" refer to), Clinton's has no details. But she claims it'll not cost businesses anything.

As our good friend who searches in vain for Kosher pastrami likes to say, "there's no free lunch."
    Except I don't have a team. I vote both parties.

I highly doubt that since you spend 99% of your time complaining about liberals.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    From Clinton's plan:

"Fund paid leave by making the wealthy pay their fair share—not by increasing taxes on working families.

Meaning - my dad. Small business owner, employs three women. Business income is taxed as individual income, so he's "wealthy". And would be forced to pay.

F*** Hillary Clinton and progressivism and all their fake witch hunting of the super rich. **** it won't cost businesses anything, unless she's going to tax them further and provide gov't assistance for spitting another crotch fruit out.
    She wants the economy of the 90's without the economic policies of the 90's.

That'll be quite a trick.
    This whole paid family leave stuff seems to me like the usual campaign promising and blustering. **** like that never goes anywhere.
    Buffco wrote: »
    crotch fruit

Crotch fruit is nice, but I'm partial to f trophy.
    I highly doubt that since you spend 99% of your time complaining about liberals.

Remember, I live in TN. One of, if not the most politically corrupt states. You'd have to live here to see the crazies that have run for office.
    This whole paid family leave stuff seems to me like the usual campaign promising and blustering. **** like that never goes anywhere.

Or even better, they levy the tax, then screw with the individuals on actually getting the money. You know, shortfalls and all that.
    I apologized 8 years ago for saying I hated Barack Obama. Butner called me out on it, and I realized he was right. I didn't hate the guy, I couldn't. I didn't even know him.

Can't say the same for Hillary. (Sorry Butner). This is in no way an endorsement of Frump. I'm in the same position as sherb.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,090 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    As our good friend who searches in vain for Kosher pastrami likes to say, "there's no free lunch."

I found some (Glatt Kosher I might add). But at $22.99 per lb, there's definitely no free lunch.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Meaning - my dad. Small business owner, employs three women. Business income is taxed as individual income, so he's "wealthy". And would be forced to pay.

F*** Hillary Clinton and progressivism and all their fake witch hunting of the super rich. **** it won't cost businesses anything, unless she's going to tax them further and provide gov't assistance for spitting another crotch fruit out.

Indeed! And nobodys calling her on this ****. If there was ever any hope of her bringing me over to her side, this mindset killed it.
    On behalf of everyone at the Lodge and in Obama's administration, I accept your apology.
    Indeed! And nobodys calling her on this ****.

That would require a Republican candidate with both an understanding of conservative ideas and a little less self-regard. Literally the only thing he cares about is what Hillary is saying about him.

The chosen one (TM) would have made her eat those words. But l'il Marco turned out to be an empty suit too.
    Literally the only thing he cares about is what Hillary is saying about him.

In his defense, a) she was mean to him and b) he's a dottering idiot.
    Literally the only thing he cares about is what Hillary is saying about him.

Also, don't forget the restraint he had to exhibit to not bring up her husband's infidelity while also ignoring his own cheating ways. Only a real leader could thread such a finely eyed needle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement