Home The Lodge

Flights of Our Fathers

FishTXFishTX Super ModeratorPosts: 9,006 Senior Member
Went to an air show on Saturday.

"Pecos Bill"

Pecos-Bill_zps8wmchl8q.jpg

"Miss Connie" One of the two flyable P-39 Airacobras.

Miss-Connie_zps2yi09mjj.jpg

foof-g15_3_zpsgnwfo24n.jpg

AT-6 Texan

foof-g15_93_zpsubavsx7a.jpg

PT-17 Kadet a.k.a. the Stearman

foof-g15_1_zpsxdjvxsfe.jpg

The Trojan Phlyers. T-28B Trojan.

trojan-phlyers_zpsuazbpjed.jpg

"Lady Liberty" A-26 Invader Notice the smoke coming from the left main gear? That's what happens when a brake locks. It locked three times on landing. Each time with a screech, puff of burnt rubber and the plane yawing (turning) a bit to the left. It was grounded and will stay at this airport till they can get the tire recapped or replaced. They are hoping for a recap. I think one of the pilots told me a new tire is $3,000.

locked-brake_zpsh6ilcgqz.jpg
"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,317 Senior Member
    I b'lieve it's P-39.

Very nice. I like those old warbirds.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Really nice! I've yet to see an Airacobra!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 9,006 Senior Member
    I b'lieve it's P-39.
    Typo. I'd make lousy secretary.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Yeah, but with that sexy green shirt you may get the job regardless of your qualifications.
    #NaugahydeSofa

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 9,006 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Really nice! I've yet to see an Airacobra!

My first time seeing the P-39 and A-26. The P-39 was flying at another show, but all the flights were over a lake. I could not find public access that would get me close enough to the flying, so missed it. It was a static display here, but I stayed to the end and watched it take off.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Couple of things:

Pretty as the polished Mustang is, it's inaccurate. P51 wings were filled, sanded smooth, and painted silver to give the smoothest possible airfoil.

I'm reading a book on the CIA-led war in Laos in the 60s/70s. In it, the author mentions Hmong-piloted T-28s several times....they must have stood the whole time they were in the air! I will admit, however, that I met a Vietnamese A-1 pilot who barely came to my chest. He had one helluva story--was shot down, captured, sent to the Hanoi Hilton, and was kept alive only because he had a card in his wallet declaring him an honorary citizen of the State of Texas signed by John Connoley.

Jim
    magalloway wrote: »
    Couple of things:

Pretty as the polished Mustang is, it's inaccurate. P51 wings were filled, sanded smooth, and painted silver to give the smoothest possible airfoil.

Jim

As Steven would say, that is some Inside Baseball **** right there.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,690 Senior Member
    Mike, if you ever get to NY June-October look up the the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome a fairly short train ride north of the City. Lots of very early bi and tri-planes (original and reproductions) flying, with shows capped by WW I mock dogfights. Also a collection of old cars, misc vehicles and motorcycles the last time I was there, perhaps ten years ago.

http://oldrhinebeck.org/
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    That is a nice collection of aircraft they have up there! I did not know that Dehavilland made a plane called the "**** Moth." Tiger Moth & Fox Moth yeah, but not that one!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement