Home The Lodge

Happy Days Are Here Again - Or Will Be Soon

13»

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,749 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Central Iowa is still well over 4 hours to Viroqua.

Don't overlook the Fennimore area. You can get there in less than 4 hours. I've done a lot of fishing in that area the past few years (Brother In Law lives there now) and there is some really good stuff within a 30 mile radius. If you need some pointers where to go, let me know.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Who would think that the exciting insurance industry and the fast pace lifestyle of Iowa would find each other?!?

Did you lurk while you were in limbo?
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Hex gets to the meat of the issue even before I know what the meat is.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,534 Senior Member
    New job. Change of companies.
    Long story short, it wasn't voluntary but turned out fantastically well.
    More Monday morning when I'm at a real keyboard.

Well congratulations and best wishes for good fortune.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    Welcome back, Steven.

1. Should we let these people in on the fact that Iowa has its own section of the Driftless?

2. should you be interested, I ran across an excellent burrito in a strip mall (I believe there was a "**** and Go" on the corner ) just north of the intersection of 80 and the hiway that leads up to Minnesota (37?) Lots may have changed since then, but it was as good as I've had in a long, long time, and we Californianos remember such things.

Jim
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,518 Senior Member
    "**** and Go"? Hmm....

Makes me wonder, are the milk shakes in Iowa vanilla only?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    magalloway wrote: »

1. Should we let these people in on the fact that Iowa has its own section of the Driftless?

Yeah, but it's a put and take fishery. Hatchery fish stocked monthly in all the streams between April and October. Limited to no natural trout reproduction in that area which is why you will often see Iowa plates on the WI side.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/fish/files/put_and_grow_streams.pdf

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/fish/groupstock.pdf

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,220 Senior Member
    Great....

now I suppose we gotta let women in here?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    I imagine Steven at his new desk, buxom blonde secretary seated across from him on a big, black, naugahyde couch.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,234 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Who would think that the exciting insurance industry and the fast pace lifestyle of Iowa would find each other?!?

Did you lurk while you were in limbo?

I think I checked in once every couple of weeks. It was good to see Chris doing so well in Utah.

As for Iowa's insurance industry, it is kind of amazing that a substantial amount of funds for long-term project financing (both federal and private) comes from a tertiary city like Des Moines.
    magalloway wrote: »
    Welcome back, Steven.

2. should you be interested, I ran across an excellent burrito in a strip mall (I believe there was a "**** and Go" on the corner ) just north of the intersection of 80 and the hiway that leads up to Minnesota (37?) Lots may have changed since then, but it was as good as I've had in a long, long time, and we Californianos remember such things.

Jim

I think Joe is wrong. I think there is some natural reproduction in NE Iowa.

I didn't get much fishing done this year. Partly because of everything going on but partly because I just wasn't that interested. I got to SWW at the beginning of the season and spent a day fishing the Sugar River in West Central Indiana for smallies.

There's a beautiful little spring creek about 100 yards from where I live. It doesn't seem to handle rain well, and I've never seen anybody fish it. There can't be any trout in there but maybe some gills.

For the record, its Kum & Go, not that that isn't embarrassing enough.

That would be 80/35 and if you remember the name, let me have it. The general lack of decent restaurants (compared to Chicago) has been a bit of an issue.
    Buffco wrote: »
    I imagine Steven at his new desk, buxom blonde secretary seated across from him on a big, black, naugahyde couch.

I need to imagine that too.
    I think Joe is wrong. I think there is some natural reproduction in NE Iowa.

Very, very limited. Good friend of mine lives in Dubuque and doesn't even bother with it. Comes over to the WI side instead.

I think Iowa could be better, but they have poor stream management practices. They would rather spend the money throwing hatchery trout in monthly vs. fixing stream degredation and controlling ag runoff.

WI driftless area used to be in the same boat until the WI DNR took a more aggressive stance on trout management in that area.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,518 Senior Member
    I need to imagine that too.

Does your buxom blonde boss have a black leather sofa? That might be more realistic.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    George K wrote: »
    Does your buxom blonde boss have a black leather sofa? That might be more realistic.

He's actually a very handsome blond guy with a wonderful husband who makes me laugh every time I see him.
    Agriculture here, is of course, dominant. Far more dominant than trout tourism could ever possibly be.

You always can tell what dominates an area by who advertises in the airport. In our case, it's Ag and Ag-related, the universities and colleges (there are a bunch here), hospital facilities, and life insurance companies.

My company may not have its name on a stadium like MetLife, Prudential, Principal and Allstate, but we have our own baggage claim area.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    I think they need you to be the new host of Mutual of Des Moines Wild Kingdom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement