Home The Lodge

Where is the Conservative Outrage?

2»

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Also, the fact that Putin favors Trump over Hillary speaks volumes about who would be better on national security. Why that doesn't faze Rs who support Trump is incomprehensible.

As pointed out by sherb, you guys pitched a fit when Romney said Russia was our number 1 geopolitical foe. Which is it? Should we be cozy with Putin, or condemn him?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,518 Senior Member
    What was the state of U.S. - Russia relations when Romney said that. Was China a more likely threat at the time?

Putin didn't go all Stalinesque until well after the 2012 election. It was 2014 when he seized the Crimea, beginning a real downward spiral with relations with the west.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Well give Romney some credit for his prescience.

I didn't care much for Willard but that guy seems positively Churchillian right now.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,534 Senior Member
    Let's get real, if Obama made the same statement the right would say it was proof he was a secret Muslim Terrorist. Even now it is not completely black and white. We have many areas where our interests intersect and we cooperate. In Syria we are in talks hoping to get Russia to be more helpful in our fight against terrorism as we speak. But the idea of a foreign power meddling in our elections through espionage should be outrageous even if it were Canada.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Buffco wrote: »
    THIS kind of crap is what pisses me off about the left. Well, I guess politics in general. And we the people lap it up.

Do they top China and North Korea, even now? How many sorties is China launching against ISIS?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I'm very concerned, not just about the Crimea but also the Baltics. The Donald of course has signaled to Putin that we won't honor our treaty obligations there, which undoubtedly told Putin all he needed to know.

China's military build-up is concerning, but China's attention has always been focused on internal dissension. In their 2500 year history they haven't shown much interest in the world outside of China.
    China has been very provocative in the China sea as of late. Not to mention their economic in roads into countries that have been our traditional trading partners. They have become huge rivals when it comes to middle eastern oil and minerals on the African Continent. Political dominance in the next century will not be determined with guns.

I guess it also matters whether or not you consider Korea or Indochina outside of China.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Do they top China and North Korea, even now? How many sorties is China launching against ISIS?
    So, you have no problem with Trump asking our great friend Russia for some emails..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    I don't remember Romney said Russia is our biggest threat nor any ridicule from Ds about him having said that. Nonetheless, if he did say that and there was ridicule from the Ds then their criticism of him was off base. Russia may not have been the No. 1 geopolitical threat at the time but as far as I am concerned that country was a threat in 2012.

Be that as it all may be it is clear that Russia under Putin is clearly a current threat to our interests. Russia's annexation of the Crimea, its efforts to undermine the Ukraine's effort to have a robust trading relationship with the EU, the propaganda war it is mounting to cause unrest in the Baltic Republics, its grant of aslyum to Edward Snowden, and its unwillingness, so far, to use its enormous influence in Syria to remove the Assad regime and work constructively with the west to resolve the Syrian civil war should be enough to cause any red blooded American, much less red blooded American Republican to be very concerned about why Putin favors Trump.

It is bizarre-o-world.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I guess the question boils down to -- is it any less treasonous/out of line of Trump to make such a statement, if Russia is, say, 4th down the list of existential threats to the US? Or is it only a problem if they are our #1 threat?

But yeah, I understand the Dems poo-poo'ed the threat. But I don't think that changes the current situation much.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Jesus, Jim...

It's like trying to explain the differences between voter fraud and election fraud to you people.

#GoodFor5MorePages

3 more to go. You are welcome. ;)
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,221 Senior Member
    I guess the question boils down to -- is it any less treasonous/out of line of Trump to make such a statement, if Russia is, say, 4th down the list of existential threats to the US? Or is it only a problem if they are our #1 threat?

But yeah, I understand the Dems poo-poo'ed the threat. But I don't think that changes the current situation much.
    I'll bite....

No. No. I don't care if he elicits North Korea or Malaysia to do it. It's still wrong. Not sure if it's treasonous because it's hard to prove any intent, but that's beside the point, really. It's wrong for ANY country to mess with our electoral process.

That's what we do to other folks. It doesn't happen here.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,518 Senior Member
    It is stupid, but it is protected free speech, not treason. Now, were he to offer his **** friends office space and IT support support at Trump Tower that would be a different matter.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,093 Senior Member
    As pointed out by sherb, you guys pitched a fit when Romney said Russia was our number 1 geopolitical foe. Which is it? Should we be cozy with Putin, or condemn him?

At the time, the concern was over China. It still is. Russia: declining and aging population, dependent on the price of oil, doesn't encourage a tech-based economy, dictator who puts swagger over growing trade opportunities with neighbors. China was and is a much greater long term threat, as the East Asia sphere is the center of the future world economy and population. The TPP as I understand it is a plan to make the Non-china east asia countries big trade partners with the US, (excluding China?).
    But i'll give Mitt a pass, since Russia is certainly a greater threat to send bullets flying in the near term.
    So, you have no problem with Trump asking our great friend Russia for some emails..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would have a problem if he asked Canada to interfere in our election. BTW the Chinese military has some of the greatest hackers in the world.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    You know who should be outraged? American hackers. Here's a presidential candidate, with one of his most prominent political campaign points being bringing back jobs to America, outsourcing our hacking jobs. That's who should be pissed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement