I know this is on-topic, but... recomend a fly line?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,321 Senior Member
This is the only place it seems where folks still post, so...

I need to get some new fly line. My fly rod is a Cortland CL Graphite 5/6 wt. I had been using Cortland 333+ fly line in 6wt., WF floating. I need something of similar quality to replace the old fly line. It has mildew spots so I'm afraid the line's no good. Also it's kinda old, say 10+ years, and admittedly hasn't been treated well. Been about 5 years since I last fished it. So I'm not looking for something top-end. I'm hoping to get back into fishing this summer, as I have a bit of leave built up. Right now I've just been practicing my casting. It's embarrassing, but I'm quite rusty.

I'll be using it for panfish, maybe small bass, casting poppers, buggers, streamers, etc. with commercial tapered leaders. I'll be fishing FL waters in creeks, lakes, and ponds. "Cold" water will be 72 degrees F at the coldest. Up to 85 or so at the warmest.

So... what do you gents recommend?

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    81tA6iP4qLL._SY355_.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,321 Senior Member
    That's probably what I'll use on my ultralight since Ande stopped carrying the real light weight stuff. Or at least the local places stopped carrying it.

BTW, why am I having a hard time finding a decent bait and tackle shop on the Middle St. Johns River?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,947 Senior Member
    This is the only place it seems where folks still post, so...

I need to get some new fly line. My fly rod is a Cortland CL Graphite 5/6 wt. I had been using Cortland 333+ fly line in 6wt., WF floating. I need something of similar quality to replace the old fly line. It has mildew spots so I'm afraid the line's no good. Also it's kinda old, say 10+ years, and admittedly hasn't been treated well. Been about 5 years since I last fished it. So I'm not looking for something top-end. I'm hoping to get back into fishing this summer, as I have a bit of leave built up. Right now I've just been practicing my casting. It's embarrassing, but I'm quite rusty.

I'll be using it for panfish, maybe small bass, casting poppers, buggers, streamers, etc. with commercial tapered leaders. I'll be fishing FL waters in creeks, lakes, and ponds. "Cold" water will be 72 degrees F at the coldest. Up to 85 or so at the warmest.

So... what do you gents recommend?

http://store.hookhack.com/HH-Weight-Forward-Lines/products/714/ (free shipping)

This is a Cortland 444 line. Buy the WF6, then cut 5' off the front and you have a "bass taper" suitable for poppers and other large or bulky flies. A dab of epoxy or Zap-a-Gap will seal the line and keep it floating. They offer a 10% discount on your first order of the year. If you are a vet there is a 20% discount at any time. This a very reliable company.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    George nailed it. H&H lines always get a good review..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    I guess I should have been more clear. For my poppers I'm using small bream poppers. Like this one:
    https://www.breambugs.com/peck-s-popper-7016-2-chartreuse-black-chartreuse.html
    Of course I could just use their fly line without trimming it...

If I throw a large popper I have a G Loomis GL3 in 8 wt.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,886 Senior Member
    I just got the SA Wavelength. I would toss those little poppers on my 3wt. But I wasn't casting more than 30'. Ooops sorry I was casting 10's and 12's.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Get a bass taper fly line. Sierra trading Post has some on sale now. For trout, I love the latest Rio Gold lines, then the Scientific Anglers Mastery Textured. Those lines cast, float and mend (important for trout) very well.
  • Auntie EmAuntie Em Senior Member Posts: 159 Senior Member
    I'd use a Wulff Triangle Taper line in a six weight. Covers all your bases well.
    Lord ... give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!!
    I guess it depends on how much you want to spend..

Mike
    ricinus wrote: »

Mike

Yes. The H&H lines have served me well for trout and bass for many years.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,366 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »

Mike
    Yes.

I'm a fan of SA lines myself after trying RIO, Cortland and Orvis.

They have lasted me the longest of any lines but are pricey.

Price divided by usage comes out to about $10/year and I fish a lot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member
    I purchased this economy fly line from Amazon for my 3WT last fall and used it from fall through the winter. So far I think it is an excellent value. http://www.amazon.com/FISHING-CUSTOM-PRODUCED-LINES-BRIGHT/dp/B00KBXDTMC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1462039977&sr=8-10&keywords=rip+lips+fly+line
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    Well, looks like I've been able to save a bit of money. Found in my stash of old gear some Cortland 333 Rocket Taper in the correct 6 wt. Put it on... had to tie my nail knot 3 times because I'm rusty.... and did some practice casts. Works great! Now I just have to get some line dressing, tapered leaders, and tippet material. I used to be able to get that stuff at WalMart. Now, not so much luck. Maybe at Bass Pro, Gander, or ****'s. And I have to clean up the old vice and tie some flies along with getting some new poppers. Then get a license. Gotta help pay the wages of those over-priced state biologists. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind when I really replace the fly line.

Oh, should I use tippet rings when I start replacing the tippet section of the leader?
    The kid at the flyshop talked me into tippet rings. I can't believe I bought them..

Mike
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Yes.

I'm a fan of SA lines myself after trying RIO, Cortland and Orvis.

They have lasted me the longest of any lines but are pricey.

Price divided by usage comes out to about $10/year and I fish a lot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I bought a SA Sharkskin that the local shop had on clearance. I have to say I'm impressed just had to get used to the noise and feel. I stick to my Cortland 444DT for my stream stuff and use the Sharkskin for distance..

Mike
    SA lines are good, but I prefer Cortland for eastern trout fishing at short distances with delicate presentations. OTOH, recently I bought some close-out SA permit and tarpon lines from Sierra Trading for about $27 each that were a great deal.

It used to be that SA and Cortland made all the private label stuff but that has changed. I recently noticed that Cabela's discontinued most of its lines (SA?) and replaced them with what look like Rio products.

I think all the line manufacturers have gone crazy with trying to sell us a different line for every time we change the size of the dry fly or want a sinking one to ride 6" up or down in the stream or the wind changes. It's 95% marketing hype.
    I've had good luck with the Cortland products I've used other than the discontinued Fairplay line. Even with my meager skills I found it cast poorly. But really for sunfish and bass, I don't think that the worries about some have for other presentations really come into play. But it may also be that I've not learned enough to be discerning.

But when I saw a manufacturer had a "panfish" line... That's a level of specialization I find spurious.
    Don't judge by Fairplay. That's like judging the 1927 Yankees by the grand success of the 2016 team.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    #dadswhovape only know one fly line that gets the job done. The Wulff triangle taper. All the rest are for taint lickers.
    George K wrote: »
    Don't judge by Fairplay. That's like judging the 1927 Yankees by the grand success of the 2016 team.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    As I've said... I've had good luck with their products OTHER than Fairplay.

It's a Cortland rod with Cortland 333 replacing abused Cortland 333+. Actually I like Cortland.
    As I've said... I've had good luck with their products OTHER than Fairplay.

It's a Cortland rod with Cortland 333 replacing abused Cortland 333+. Actually I like Cortland.

BTW - The sigh was for my beloved Yankees, nothing to do with you.
    Ah, Gotcha.
    Figured I'd give an update. I took out my kayak and fly rod on Friday, took the day off. Got on the water at 9:15, off the water at 2:45. Only caught two hand-sized bluegill. Could have had more but they were playing with the poppers, not really smacking them. Oddly they didn't want to hit the beetle-spin. Found a semi-decent spot then some folks came by and started running their ski boat. Boat wake was running counter to the wind at 5-10. All that made for an interesting day considering it's been 5 or so years since I was out on the water. Fishing or kayaking. But it was a good day. Habitat was somewhat poor: mucky bottom, very shallow, not much vegetation. But my poppers were getting worried. Which was nice because... I'd tied them last week.

Made some observations...
    A. Need to get back in shape for paddling my boat. Got tired a little too easily. And I need to work on my technique. Less arm more torso.
    B. Boat needs to be trimmed properly. I think that it was weather-cocking because the bow was too high.
    C. The area I was fishing in really lends itself more to either poppers/surface lures or weedless bottom lures. Shallow with weeds.
    D. I had too much stuff with me.
    E. As my fly fishing teacher said, when you go out and fly fish, just take a fly rod. Maybe 2. Otherwise you have too much stuff.
    F. Need to get something mounted on the bow of the boat to tuck the rod tips into and keep them from hanging up on stuff. Got and idea of how to mount it, just figure out how to make it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file