Home The Lodge

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,285 Senior Member
    Uh, excuse me, but military health care isn't exactly "free." They do have to work to get it.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    Why do people who risk their lives for country continually get **** on.. Happens up here too..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    Uh, excuse me, but military health care isn't exactly "free." They do have to work to get it.

Realize that. I was aghast at the proposition that they wouldn't benefit they way they have in the past. I think you may have misinterpreted my post.

I think this is a dumb idea. Many vets that are commenting on it in a Reddit thread have stated that these benefits are a primary reason for staying in, and the military is experiencing a massive brain drain already.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,285 Senior Member
    With a FIL who's retired military and BIL who's in it for a career, I can tell you they've been discussing this for a while. I'm rather shocked and angry that this sort of thing is being suggested, BUT I can also tell you that from what I've seen in other areas of government service, health care is being pared back with higher employee contributions to maintain what you have is becoming "the new normal." And yes, in those jobs the benefits package is part of the reason for retention.

Not trying to say there's an equivalence (there's not) but there is a degree of similarity. Also that it seems like this is an ever-expanding trend. Which I find odd...
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    The fee is not much, though. I would hazard a guess that those of us with employee sponsored healthcare pay much more.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,225 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that those of us with employee sponsored healthcare pay much more.

Mine is free. As is my long term disability, short term disability, vision and dental.

Only thing coming out of my paycheck is 401k

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Mine is free.

Nothing is free
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,299 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Mine is free. As is my long term disability, short term disability, vision and dental.

Only thing coming out of my paycheck is 401k

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If that's for your family, do NOT quit that job. I don't know anyone who is not paying for their family. If it's just for you, then a lot of companies are still doing that.

As far as the article goes, the fees are not out of the question for families and retirees.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Listening to the retirees I work with (most of my co-workers) grouse about their Tri-Care payments is quite amusing. Like Sherb said, the proposed enrollment fees aren't ridiculous.
    Do more with less in the military (USAF, at least) is getting a bit ridiculous. We do an awful lot of tripping over dollars to pick up dimes. If this helps to actually pay for some of the shortfalls then I'm for it. Also, I think they should start scaling down the % amount that retirees get. 50% of your base salary for the rest of your life after 20 years on a job is nuts. Slowly scale that back to 40% over a period of several years (with grandfathering included, of course) and I bet people would still be attracted to a military career and it would save boat loads of money.
    I know this sounds awfully unpalatable to a lot of people but something has to give.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    The fee is not much, though. I would hazard a guess that those of us with employee sponsored healthcare pay much more.

This is what we used to refer to as CHAMPUS. To be honest I was on base and did not know anyone that used it. But I don't think it was ever free.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Listening to the retirees I work with (most of my co-workers) grouse about their Tri-Care payments is quite amusing. Like Sherb said, the proposed enrollment fees aren't ridiculous.
    Do more with less in the military (USAF, at least) is getting a bit ridiculous. We do an awful lot of tripping over dollars to pick up dimes. If this helps to actually pay for some of the shortfalls then I'm for it. Also, I think they should start scaling down the % amount that retirees get. 50% of your base salary for the rest of your life after 20 years on a job is nuts. Slowly scale that back to 40% over a period of several years (with grandfathering included, of course) and I bet people would still be attracted to a military career and it would save boat loads of money.
    I know this sounds awfully unpalatable to a lot of people but something has to give.

Yeah I am kind of one of them. That base is lower than they would be getting in a comparable civilian career and they can be shot at. You don't choose where you live or when you move. There are a lot of sacrifices those guys make for our country, the least we can do is honor the commitment they took on when they took their oath. You want to lower for guys going into basic, okay. But not anyone that is past their first enlistment.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,659 Senior Member
    There should be a cheat-resistant way of rewarding hardship and combat tours more than garrison duty. When I was in Viet Nam non-combat planes would fly in from Thailand on the last day of the month and fly out the next day. All the cork sockers on board received the same two months of combat pay that it took my comrades and me 60 days in the field to earn.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    George K wrote: »
    There should be a cheat-resistant way of rewarding hardship and combat tours more than garrison duty.

This^

Chris,
    Yeah. No way I would ever be in favor of taking away something that they were promised and earned.

What is your work schedule look like this weekend?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    As a non military, how do retirement and health benefits work? At what point does one get benefits and at what scale? I realize career military retire at twenty years but what does a guy who didn't reenlist after his first four years get?

Just asking out of curiosity. I'm not begrudging anyone who served a dime. Wish I had the honor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Tricare would be for use at civilian facilities when a military facility is unavailable. Not sure but I believe retirees can still use the base facilities. War vets I think use the VA.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    This^

Chris,
    Yeah. No way I would ever be in favor of taking away something that they were promised and earned.

What is your work schedule look like this weekend?

Sunday and Monday off and I just got my waders!
    Buffco wrote: »
    As a non military, how do retirement and health benefits work? At what point does one get benefits and at what scale? I realize career military retire at twenty years but what does a guy who didn't reenlist after his first four years get?

Just asking out of curiosity. I'm not begrudging anyone who served a dime. Wish I had the honor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It depends on a lot of things, and the rules can get complicated.

Look at the Eligibility page and the Priority Groups Table: http://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/apply/veterans.asp
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    Buffco,
    Generally, after your 4 years is up, or if you voluntarily separate at any time before 20 years you get zilch. I did nine years. Of course, if you are a disabled vet or are medically retired before 20 years, then you may receive benefits from the service directly or the Veteran's Administration.

Chris,
    I also have Sun and Mon off. I will check the weather and stream flows and we can go catch some fish if you want! *stream flow dependent, but we should be ok somewhere.
    I want!!!!!!!
    It's complicated. Depends on when and where you served, what may have happened to you what you may have been exposed to and for many, time limits and income tests.

I delayed applying for decades until I realized I am in a high priority group. The VA charges my Medicare and private insurance when it can, but when it can't there is no additional charge or co-pays for the three things I for which I use the VA - hearing aids, podiatry (better than the private ones I used to use) and an extra pair of basic no-frills glasses each year. I am completely pleased with the service. Rx co-pays are higher than my own insurance so I do not get medicine from them. I think low-income vets get meds for free or at very low cost.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement